Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winged Warriors

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ultimateMADMAN 
#1 ·
First off are they effective and useful? I can see winged warriors with scything talons and rending claws as a good combination, keep synapse with fast hormagaunts and fight well in combat.

But how would you make them? What parts to use for wings, I don't really want to buy a bunch of other models just to rip the wings off so I don't know how to make them...

#3 ·
I plan on using gargoyle wings, you can order them of the GW website for £1.50 for a pair of them, and they are about the right size, but to attach them, you'll need to either pin them or use green stuff.

#4 ·
I used epic hierodule wings. They look very good. Winged warriors with scy talons and rending claws work very well as long as they have cover or bodies to hide behind. MIne did as you are planning - running with the hormagaunts. Occassionally they ran with the gargoyles.

#7 ·
I used the Morathi Dark Pegasus wings for my conversion. They are from the Dark Elves fantasy range and are the perfect size for the job, gargoyle wings are just to small, like having bat wings on a ostrich really!

The advantage of these is that they match up nicely with the plastic dragon wings (usual wings used for tyrants).

#9 ·
Yea.... I think Havelock meant Harridan... Heirodule's (How ever you spell it...) don't have wings.... thay are big an' buggy thou... But i think that you might wanna wait awhile strewart.... the plastic gargs should be coming out early/late spring (i hope)... and the wings might be better on these guys... i myself would mount the wings on the first arm socket.... similar to the Forgeworld tyrant... it keeps with the six limbed nid idea... and it might look pretty good.... i just need to use Garg wings, seeing that it looks like they have Built In SC on them.... might have to build up the shoulder carapace with green stuff thou.... to make it look like they are landing or ready to fly...

#10 ·
I would have thought gargoyle wings would be too small...

If I put the wings in the upper arm sockets that looks like it would be too far to the front of the model to work and it will remove the extra weapons, unless I use scything talons on wings. Anyone have pics of wings in that slot?

They could almost be coming out of the carapace on the back, that may look a bit strange though...

On the harridan, my local GW has a 40k one in the window! It is absolutely massive.

Yeah, I just found a pair of gargoyle wings. They look good but a bit small.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep looking.

BTW, when you say spring for the plastic gargoyles do you mean Northern or Southern hemisphere? Like should I expect before christmas, or April/May next year?

#12 ·
Why have wingeD? I have leaping Warriors. I like leaping better because hey can move thorugh difficult terrain and not get a wound.
I have winged warriors for 2 main reasons:-

1. They can keep a winged tyrant company, sending the tyrant charging ito combat 2 turns before he gets joined by the rest of the army will allow your opponent time to get his hardest units into CC with the Tyrant and likely take him down :eek:

2. When allowed, they can deepstrike, bye bye HW squad ;)

Not to mention they look cool :D

#13 ·
Winged Warriors are cool if geared up for cc but you need a lot of cover, in the new rules you can hide behind a TMC but it an't gonna cover more than 2 and if you deep strike them there open to a lot of fire which they don't stand up to well against. Anybody got any pictures of there painted wing models ?

#14 ·
I would take Leaping Warriors instead... Now that they get FOC, Leaping is very good thanks to the ability to enter terrain, while still being capable of keeping up with Gaunts.

But if You can be sure that Your opponent has targets in the open, then go with Wings if You want... Just remember that they're somewhat expensive, and get shot to pieces relatively easily.

I myself plan to convert Tyrant and Garg Wings using ScyTal, if I ever get my projects started... And could see that applied to Warrior Wings as well.

#15 ·
If leaping warriors get FoC that would be nearly as good and of course cheaper. Where does it say that? Under movement biomorphs in the nid codex it is only 2x assault move.

The difference I saw was if an enemy is 30" apart, winged warriors have two turns of 12" movement and can assault turn 2.

Leaping warriors have 3 turns of 6" movement bringing them to 12", then they can charge.

So fliers could get to combat faster. And yeah, winged nids would look cool. Plus they can pass over terrain, as long as they don't land in it.

#19 ·
a nother advantage to winged warriors is that they are fast attack, so you can have 2 hive tyrants AND a whole load of warriors, which are better than any other of our fast attack choices!

#20 ·
I used gargoyle wings on them. They fit perfectly between the 2 arm sockets on either side. You just need to trim them a little and epoxy or green stuff them in (to fill in the gaps). I have 6 (3 HtH and 3 shooty), but I find I don't use them all that often, if only becuase I prefer my biovores and Carnis (flying Warriors with a Heavy weapon count as HS). Even though I don't use them, the models came out very well, so they are great display pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.