Is 'eavy armour worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Is 'eavy armour worth it?

ok, with the abundance of cover in 5th ed. is 'eavy armour worth it for the nobz.

Also I am not seeing th benefit of cyborg bodies on Nobz in a truck. I could be wrong, or is it that people usually run a painboy so they benifit from FnP too and the nominal amount of points and another 5+.

So many ways to run a list

Last edited by Tossy; July 9th, 2010 at 02:19.
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I would have to say it is.

Yes there is an abundance of cover in 40k but most of the time Nobz in general (not Nob Bikers, I've never used them so I couldn't say) will be doing one of two things in a game.
    - Sitting it out in a transport or
    - Bashing 'eads in combat.

On the way to the fight your Nobz should be safely inside a transport and unless your transport is blown up (very likely if it's a Trukk) you should be safe. Should you take a Trukk always buy Eavy Armour as your almost guaranteed to be walking after your opponents first turn. Should you take a Battlewagon for your Nobz the choice is a little more unclear. Your Nobz should be safe from most transport busting weapons for the first turn or two meaning they shouldn't take too much fire on average but there is always combat to worry about.

Depending on who you are facing your opponent might have some counter-attack to throw into combat with your Nobz. This may be as unexpected as a large mob squad of Imperial Guard (I know someone who uses this as 40 man with 4 Power Weapon sergeants a Preist a Commisar and Creed to give them the Furious Charge order) to something as brutal as a squad of Genestealers led by a Broodlord. In this case you have to gauge who you will be playing for whether or not you will need some extra protection here, generally take it against combat armies and leave it against shooty armies (Note this isn't fool proof, watch out for Power Weapons and Rending).

In a general tournament army I would say yes go for it but in a quick pickup game you should be able to decide whether or not it's neccessary.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the 'eavy armor. I tend to mix eavy and cybork on my nobs. Some get both. Good for:
    - with FNP you get a 4+ 4+ save
    - works great in CC. Any powerweapon hits are allocated to the cyborks
    - wound allocation optimization
    - when your transport blows up
    - looks cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to go eavy and cybork. but recently i've ditched the eavy altogether and to be honest i find there is very little difference. with FnP you take a wound or two extra, with anything that ignores FnP it also tends to ignore eavy anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't put a 250-400 point unit that blows at footslogging inside a 35 point transport that dies if someone looks at it crosseyed. Nevermind a darklance, you can bolter a trukk off the table with no difficulty.

Orks have the most fragile dedicated transport of any race in the game. Take battlewagons for units you care about, you won't regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a painboy and cybork, skipping heavy armor, but i also never put them in a trukk, battlewagon w/ a 'rolla all day long

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post
    Orks have the most fragile dedicated transport of any race in the game. Take battlewagons for units you care about, you won't regret it.
    Technically speaking that is not true. The Dark Eldar have an open topped skimmer with AV 10 all around. As it is a skimmer it is much harder to hide behind cover and when it goes fast then should it get Immobilized it willl be destroyed. Your Trukk instead is 20pts cheaper can easily be put in cover (or better yet kept near a Mek with a KFF) for the 4+ cover save or can go fast without the risk of being Wrecked instead of Immoblilized. Further more should your Trukk get Immobilized it can be outfitted with Grot Riggers to be repaired which in my opinion is ffar superior to the Night Sheilds the Dark Eldar can take as Night Sheilds should at the most save you fro melta but leave your open topped AV 10 veichle exposed to Heavy Bolters, Missile Launchers, Autocannons and all other transport busting weapons.

Back on topic now Beest and guildmaster have good ideas with using 'Eavy armour sprinkled through the unit in order to maximise would allocation, it's cheaper than giving them all 'Eavy Armour and arguably more effective.

EDIT- Personally now I do not see Cybork Bodies worth it anywhere other than your Warboss. They are simply too expensive for what they do and you have plenty of Ammo Runts and Bosspoles to maximise allocation already.
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; July 9th, 2010 at 19:30.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never sprinkled anything in my life. All nobs used to be all cybork and eavy armour'd up. now they just get cybork. How can a 5 points 5+ invo save not be worth it? If you've got 6 nobs it only costs 30 points, save pretty much any nob from any sort of intant death (but especially a painboy or PK nob) and you've made your investment back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guildmaster View Post
    I like the 'eavy armor. I tend to mix eavy and cybork on my nobs. Some get both. Good for:
    - with FNP you get a 4+ 4+ save
    - works great in CC. Any powerweapon hits are allocated to the cyborks
    - wound allocation optimization
    - when your transport blows up
    - looks cool
    Are you saying that you take heavy on some, cyborg on some, and both on some? I was under the impression that when you took cyborg it was an all or nothing sort of deal.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

I usually run cybork on my Nobz instead of 'eavy. Reason being is that generally your elite unit is going after another elite unit which = power weapons. Hence the value of an invulnerable save.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast