Weirdboyz have friends? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weirdboyz have friends?

Well I really like using a Weirdboy/Warphead but I noticed that on a 4 and a 5 of the dice roll his power affects his unit, and I was just wondering does anyone ever put him in a unit? What kind of unit? Shoota boyz?

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

I run mine with a 20 man shoota boyz squad with 2 big shootas and a PK nob. Seems to fit well, and if I roll a 5 the unit isn't too hard to deep strike safely. Just remember how random they are: last game I played my weirdboy rolled eadbanger two turns in a row! (That's after re rolls too!) But then next turn he melta'd the master of the ravenwings landspeeder and annihilated it :p
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

It's always a good plan to run him in a unit. Otherwise he risks being gunned down without any wounds in a unit to soak up fire. And, as mentioned, you're wasting 2/5 of his positive effects by not running him with a unit, which sucks.
    THere are lots of units you can run him with. Standard boyz are obvious but the deepstriking with a big unit can get difficult and dangerous. Nobz can work well, and I've even used meganobz with him... Dropping a bunch of meganobz on an objective late-game is great. Goes OK with tankbustas, as his ranged attacks are good against vehicles and he has the potential to deepstrike them behind enemy lines. Burnas work well with him too.
    In the end, its about what you want out of him- is it important to try and teleport that nob squad that was guarding your objective until a surprise late-game jump? Want to beef up a bunch of boyz and add some extra firepower to their shootas? The choice is yours. Just identify the goals of your warpead before before you stick him in a unit and he will help that unit in his way.
    I also advocate for using a warpead over a wierdboy. The reroll is invaluable for dictating an outcome, which can really make or break his usefulness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want to place him in a unit that can shoot, because most turns he's going to be shooting at something (or your squad will be deep striking and cant assault). He fires low-AP high STR weapons, so to maximize the synergy of the squad you put him with you'll want them to also fire high STR low AP weapondry. I recommend tankbustas or flash gitz. The tankbustas will make good supplementary fire against vehicles when you roll Zzap, and the Flash Gitz work well against the type of heavy-infantry you'll be firing Frazzle at. Flash Gitz also aren't half bad in assault, and with the possibility of a free waaagh, bonus attacks, or deepstriking into enemy territory, it's something to consider. They can also take a painboy to increase the survivability of the wierdboy. An expensive and risky unit, but with a very high potential for reward.

+ Reply to Thread