Welcome to Librarium Online!
I just wanted to know what would be a good tactic &/or strategy to get past Imperial Guard Ordnance Batteries that sit right at the back of the field?
Against IG remember CC is your friend so do all you can to get your guys moved in.
Remember most tables are 48 inches across
-Start with your guys all 12 inches up and you really only have 24-36 inches depending on how your opponent deploys.
-Use raiders to move all your guys 18 inches turn one and disembark suddenly your 6-18 inches away which means most of your guys are in shooting range. So raider shoots the tanks and guys shoot infantry. Assault as soon as possible
-Blasters are your friend so always max out.
-You should have 3 ravagers for your heavy support with each having 3 Dark Lances. Each of these should focus on taking out the meanest Leman Russ (I recommend any of the plasma/demolisher combos/or the one with the 20 shot gun)
-Fast Attack should be focused on tank killing so equip bikes with blasters and try to get into range of tank in round 1 if possible. Else use the 24 inch invuln save and try to hide behind cover turn 1. Second round you should definitely be able to use 2 blasters. My personal strategy is to go up one side then go 18 inches across to the other side where the opponent thinks they are safe. It really confuses them.
-Wyches- Will tear apart enemy infantry. Be sure to equip with grenades and now they can take apart vehicles. Just think if each has haywire grenades how many opportunities to get through 14 armour
So between everyone with blasters/darklances and ravagers shooting all the tanks most of his vehicles die turn 2. Plus your trading 110 point Ravagers for 200 IG tanks. Next your in shooting range to massively destroy his infantry. Then CC for the win.
Remember casulties are a part of war so it will be a bloody battle. just make sure each of your squads can do more points of damage then its worth and you will come out the victor.
I have not versed Imperial Guard that much since their new codex has come out, and so my experience with them is a little rusty. However, looking over the different types of Ordnance Batteries there are in the codex, like the Basilisk or Colossus, I would have to say that if you try a Ravager/Raider spam against a Guard army that possessed them, then I am afraid your Transports or going to be recycled in second-hand lasguns. They will absolutely carve you up into little pieces, and then laugh and then laugh because they are laughing, and then laugh some more, and then keep laughing until a Comissar has to come an execute them for laughing too much, and then the Comissar will execute himself because he executed those that were laughing.
Ahem, sorry. Like I said, a typical frontline from the Dark Eldar will be laughed at, and something more sneaky needs to be implemented. Now you could seek cover with every squad you have on the field, worrying about if your flanks will hold sufficient enough to be able to target the artillery, but while you are occupied with these guys, the rest of the horribly over-numbered army is charging right up the middle and taking the middle ground, or the high ground, or getting themselves comfortable in a nice hole. The idea behind really long range batteries is to keep the enemy focused utterly on them, as they will cause utter chaos if you do not, and will still utter chaos if you do, due to their being the rest of the army to worry about. Trying to outflank them will not work. It might work with some armies, but not with the Dark Eldar.'
All I can say is, thank god for Deepstriking, and the ability to shoot on the turn you arrive. And, finally, low and behold, we have a reason to take some Hellions. There a number of justifiable factors to consider. The first being that they can carry a Blaster, if they could not then I would honestly forget about it, and say you would be better off with Scourges ( I cannot believe that I just said that ), but because they do, you do not need to consider them. The second, and highly vital part is that 3/4 Ordance Battery variations of vehicle have a minimum distance of which they can shoot, the shortest being 12". Now, no one in their right mind is going to shoot an Ordnancer template less then 12" away anyway, in the case of the Medusa, even though they have Bastion shells, but they are only Heavy 1, Blast. Not a major issue. Anyway, the point is that this is a perfect scenario for Deepstrikers, especially those that can carry a portable Lance weapon. And guess what? Our Hellions can! Thirdly, each Ordnance Battery is open-topped, which ensures you that you WILL take out one. Only in the most unlucky of situations would you not.
Now the problem here is that if there is artillery in a guard list, you can pretty much say goodbye to your Ravagers, and a few of them can re-roll scatter, and what could prove an obstacle is the ability to remove the Open-Topped statistic from the vehicle via the use of Enclose Crew Compartment. In this instance, I would suggest that you try and keep your Ravagers out of harms way, and always in cover until the threat is neutralized by the Hellions. Mind you, I think that they will not survive past the first turn, and in because they can only take one Blaster per squad, my suggestion would be to take two minimal squads of Hellions, each with a Blaster, your other FA choice with a bunch of Reavers, to watch the most vulnerable flank, two Ravagers, or three depending on the points level, and the rest as you see fit.
The only problem that I forsee here is the lack of a backup plan if your Hellions fail. There is still the chance, but let's think about it. You need 3+ to hit, which gives you about a 67% chance ( alright Mr. Mathammer, 67.6666666....7% chance ), you have a 16.67% chance to glance, which is the norm, and you have a 33.33% chance to inflict a penetrating hit. They are not the best odds in the world, but certainly help. Either way, if you do happen to pen you have a 66.67% chance at immobilising the artillery or doing better, due to it being open topped. If it does happen to take ECC, then obviously this percentage is reduced to 50-50, like the norm again. I don't mind those odd now.
Anyway, what I am trying to say is that the artillery are there as a distraction unit, just like our Reavers are. The only difference between is that Reaver crews have more balls than the Guardsman. No really they do. They have a whole collection of them back at Commaragh... I'll stop now.
Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
You could try bypassing their shooting and use webway portals. Use a pair of deep striking units, each equipped with a portal, (i suggest hellions and scourges as they need a model with armoury access and can both put down a bit of shooting in the turn they arrive, although the scourges can quickly become too expensive).
Now your units will drop, but deepstriking units do not actually move, they deep strike which counts as moving for the purposes of shooting. So your leader can now open up a webway portal close to the Imperial Guard lines, if both of your squads come down you can put each one near a flank to bunch the Guard togeather in the middle and allow for multi charges, rear or side shots at vehicles.
Another great thing about this is that you will ait for turn 3+ for this to work, and with the WWP bringing the majority of your army on at the same time so close to your opponent you should be able to launch a crushing blow that he will struggle to mcome back from.
The Emperor Protects
IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11
I noticed something the other day, but hellions actually have a 0-1 in their title, so we can only take 1 hellion squad, which i thought was kinda stupid, but meh.
I've played guard a bit, but not any with ordance barrage weapons. The key thing is to remember firstly deployment types and objectives.
Dawn of war, your in luck, depending on what set-up you have. A lord on a jetbike deployed in dawn of war at the 24 inch line is nasty prospect for your enemy. 2+ invuln, flat out within 18 inches of them, but out of line of sight, and you can charge in with the lord with drugs at 6 strength with re-rolls to hit your looking good to do some damage.
2 units of 3 jetbikes with 2 blasters will do well as well, flat out again forward, hope for scatter otherwise =p.
Those three units will at least distract them alot, then if you have wyches charging into combat with (take Punishers over Agonisers) measily guard, and with 2 blasters if chimera's need popping, things are looking good.
This may seem oddly suicidal, but take
5 Warriors, 1 Dark Lance, Raider, Screaming Jets, Terrorfex
maybe three of those, and deploy the warriors on the board as sniper squads, and deepstrike the raiders empty (or you could add blasters to the squad and take them on the deepstrike)
Err, but in all seriousness, the best way for you to have a chance of winning is to win the roll-off for first turn =p
As for ravagers...it is perhaps viable to flat out them down a flank with empty raiders, then when you start firing use the empty raiders to give a cover save to the ravagers.
The terrorfex because guard without comisar will love them, and obviously you can deepstrike with line of sight on the barrage and have good fire on them.
Cool thanx guys that's awesome advice !!