Need Help Withe Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help Withe Tyranids

Hi, I'm a necron player but I started collecting tyranids about 2 days ago. I have 12 termagants and 8 genestealers, now I need help with the things I should get next. I'm already going to get more termagants and a broodlord so my genestealers and termagants are fine but now I have 2 troop choices should I create a monstorous creature army, a close combat army or a shooty army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

well which do you prefer?

CC? Dakka? Fast? Swarm? MONSTROUS? or a mix of any above mentioned,

I personally prefer a fast swarm feel, (gargoyles and a winged tyrant) supported by either hormagaunts and warriors, or termagants and tervigon it depends on your taste. but the theres not a whole lot of shortage on creativity and it it all depends on your style

I'd say pick a preference first

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

I would have to agree, and it also depends on what kind of armies you are likely to face. Anything with great armour saves and vehicles (i.e. Space Marines) you should definitely have as many monstrous creatures as you can, backed up by a brood of Zoanthropes and Hive Guard as well as having a Battleforce which gives you 16 Hormagaunts and Termagants, 3 Rippers (do not use these, instead convert a Carnifex into a Tervigon by making the arm sockets both with scything talons with points on the ground, this counts as a troops choice or a HQ choice), 3 Warriors and 8 Genestealers. To reinforce the Genestealers, make them accompany a Broodlord. Something like that.

However, if you are likely to face any other types of army, just have as many 'nids as you can. With these kinds of armies, I find that Tyranid Primes work well as a single HQ choice, because they are cheap and they boost your warriors, which in my opinion, you need to have at least one brood against any 40K army. With upgrades, they only cost around 100 points, giving you even more points to increase the numbers in your swarm. Biovores are actually surprisingly powerful against armies that do not have crazily good armour saves, their spore mines land right in a unit of Ork Boyz and they are in total dissaray. Having three will mean that each Biovore can shoot three mines.

It's entirely up to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.. Next question what do I need to buy after my termagants and broodlord. I will have. Termagants - x24. Genestealers - x8. Broodlord - x1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Necronthegreat View Post
    Thanks guys.. Next question what do I need to buy after my termagants and broodlord. I will have. Termagants - x24. Genestealers - x8. Broodlord - x1
    Well, it depends on what type of army your playing! You have to decide yourself which type of army you want! We can't do EVERYTHING for you

Also, how many points do you want to have?

If your going for 1000 points I think you need at least 2 Zoanthropes. These guys need to be in Mycetic spores. These guys provide synapse really nicely, and have the Warp Lance. They will be your main vehicle killers.

Also a Hive Tyrant.If the Hive Tyrant is walking, then at least 2 Tyrant Guard should be accompanying it. If it is flying, then 1 or 2 broods of Gargoyles at around 15 gargoyles each brood. Hive Tyrant is the leader of the swarm. Almost no armies don't have them now days. It can also fulfill a large amount of roles, and is a massive asset to your army, being able to improve it completely with a few well choosen psychic powers.

If you have some points left, Tyrand Warriors are a pretty good idea. These guys provide nice synapse cover, and like the Hive Tyrant can fulfill a large amount of roles in your army.

If you want to go a bit more swarmy however, Tervigon's are your best bet. 1 is ok, but it will be targeted quickly. However, 2 will put a bit more preasure on the opponent.

And if you want some more monstrous Heavy support, get a Trygon or two. These guys are awsome (look wise) and are pretty good on the battle field.

I hope that helped
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

To back up what Hive Fleet Ruina said, Zoanthropes and Hive Guard are a great combo if you are looking for tank-busters.

Also, if you aren't too keen on getting a Hive Tyrant (they are pretty expensive, money and points wise), you can always have a Tyranid Prime as your HQ choice. They are equipped with exactly them same stuff as a warrior, and with the 'Alpha Warrior' special rule, he can really boost the rest of the unit. Most effective when it is composed between 3-6 Warriors, any more and they are a waste of valuable points.

If you are looking for info on how to convert a Tyranid model into a Tervigon, here's how:
    -Step 1: Buy a Carnifex
    -Step 2: Assemble all but the arms, and have a head without a horn
    -Step 3: Use both sets of Scything Talons provided, and have them pointing down resting on the base
    OPTIONAL
    -Step 4: If you want to have a little sac of Termagant larvae, cut off the sac part of one of the supporting arms for the heavy weapons and just stick it on the models stomach. Simple.

Its up to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Do you have the nid codex?

To reinforce what's said above, decide what kind of army you want to field, that pretty much determines what you need to get. Try to proxy a few lists to get a feel for what you like.

I'd reccomend looking at HQ choices next. If you like swarm, focus on a tervigon. If you like MCs, go with a tyrant. Or just get a few boxes of warriors and make something out of them. (Warriors are always useful, no matter what army you field.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I've decided to purchase a biovore, a hive tyrant, uhm tyrant guard? (I forgot wat their called) and some zoathorpe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Necronthegreat View Post
    Ok so I've decided to purchase a biovore, a hive tyrant, uhm tyrant guard? (I forgot wat their called) and some zoathorpe
    That's great and welcome to the hive, but might I suggest holding back on the biovore for now. It doesn't fit into every list or against every army. Might I suggest a mawlock/trygon instead for a heavy support. They are much better over all then the biovores and are a very cool model as well. They fit nicely in almost any list and are very durable (Also much more competative) they will give you much better support and help to dispurse enemy fire while you move up with the rest of your army.

I would also recommend play testing some units before you purchase them. I found out only after spending 160$ on two tyrants wings and magnets that they don't preform as well for me or with my style of play as they do with others, and this applies to all units. If your head is set on something you can make it work but play testing beforehand I think will help you make better judgement calls on purchases and will also help you decide on what works best for you and against your opponents.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

So, with this in mind, I can already see you are leaning towards a list with monstrous creatures (who, in CC, ignore armour) to play against armies with good armour saves. This entirely defeats the purpose of buying a Biovore, for the Spore Mines only have AP4, not enough to get through the awesome armour saves you see on SM, SW and BA. I reckon 3 Tyrant Guard for the Hive Tyrant and 3 Zoanthropes. Next step is 3 Hive Guard, they are awesome tank-busters. The Zoanthrope and Hive Guard combo is an excellent one to use on the enemy, and works almost every time.

Have you been looking at Fast Attack? If so, you need some Tyranid Shrikes, which are basically Tyranid Warriors with wings and a 5+ Sv. If you want them, buy the wings from Forge World and buy a box of Warriors. Have the top pair of arm sockets as the wings and the bottom pair for a devourer, deathspitter, rending claws, barbed strangler or a venom cannon. They not only extend your Synapse range to the winged Gargoyle unit you should also have (30 is a good number), but they are capable warriors themselves. Not only that, you should have a brood of normal Tyranid Warriors led by a Prime (I would just paint the chitin a lighter colour e.g. if you have a Leviathan army and you base your chitin on Liche purple, make the chitin on the Prime based on Warlock purple) to support your army and Synapse as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast