Thunderwolves Shmunderwolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thunderwolves Shmunderwolves

I had a game today against a Space Wolves player...generally quite a nice fellow.
    I was running a fairly standard list...Fireknives, a few deathrains...kroot piranha and a few broadsides with a hammerhead thrown in for good measure.

I seized the initiative...yay me...and proceeded to explode 3 rhinos full of gray hunters, dealing 2 wounds to each unit. (spectacular luck actually) I also weapon destroyed and stunned his razorback. I killed a unit of longfangs and killed one guy in another unit.
    At this point, turn one is going swimmingly. However, I couldn't manage to draw los on the wolf cavalry...sad day.

They proceeded to move 6 run 6 and assault 11.75 inches into my lines...two groups of them. Both groups were set up the same way...Stormshield, Powerfist, Claw. The rest as they say, is history. They bounced back and forth between my units, eating them one at a time...and that stupid stormshield never failed a save.

Does anyone have any idea how to deploy to minimize the impact of the twc? If so...I would love to know.
    If he had gone first, corner castle would have slowed him down, but I had spread out to shoot things.

My platform is RL, you'd be surprised at the quality of the graphics!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was pitched battle, then he should not have been able to assault. You start a minimum of 24" inches apart (you don't go *exactly on the line*) so moving 24" can't possible reach. He may have messed up his movement by a millimeter or two each time, but if you do the math it should be recognized as impossible. If you even want to argue that, then you could simply have deployed 1" or more back from your deployment zone.

If it was a different deployment, then I don't know. you could have put a kroot buffer in between you, and once its destroyed your opponent will be out in the open for you to shoot at with plenty of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

we deployed in spearhead. The terrain and scenery kind of forced me to be a little closer than I like to be to get any decent shots.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

More kroot, I guess. Make a giant bubble-wrap of Kroot between you and him, and hope that those hold him off for long enough to shoot with everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The issue is that he manages to keep them either in cover, out of sight or in combat...
    they have that ridiculous 12" charge that makes it hard to judge just how far away they can hit you from. You think you're safe around the corner of the building...then they manage to run 5" instead of 3", and get to charge you the rest of the 10" you managed to put between you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevish4U View Post
    The issue is that he manages to keep them either in cover, out of sight or in combat...
    they have that ridiculous 12" charge that makes it hard to judge just how far away they can hit you from. You think you're safe around the corner of the building...then they manage to run 5" instead of 3", and get to charge you the rest of the 10" you managed to put between you.
    Fire Warriros should be in reserve or in the Devilfish.
    Kroot should be out front providing a screen to prevent the TW cav getting to more valuable units.
    Piranhas should be sent straight out and into the face of the Cav units, move them over 12" and it takes a 6 to even hit them, even with their movement the Cav unit will struggle to get around two Piranhas.
    Use Pathfinders to remove or lower cover saves of the Cav unit (though storm shields negate this to a degree).
    Focus fire on them.
    Utilise terrain when deploying, you should bee aiming to have a solid front of terrain, Kroot units and Piranhas to keep the Cav units (and all the other SW units) at range, long enough for your shooting to take effect.
    Make sure you try to get staged blockades, Piranha's followed by kroot, stagger the Kroot units so the Cav are forced to take punishment if they do gefeat a unit in CC.
    Torrent of fire, most of my XV8 units are hitting on 3+ minimum, some twin linked, 2+ HQ units and Markerlight assisted BS boosts mean a lot of Plasma hits and even with a 3+ SS save they will drop.
    Basically it all comes down to making sure the Cav have to work their way through terrain, Kroot, Piranhas and if needed Devilfish.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

If he had gone first, corner castle would have slowed him down, but I had spread out to shoot things.
    This is your first misstep. Always (well, almost always) deploy in a corner castle. Do it properly and you'll have no trouble picking targets.

In spearhead deployment, especially against a fast assault army, deploy all the way back in your corner. That should ensure that your opponent has the longest distance to travel.

And since you got to deploy 2nd, there's no excuse for not getting this right, since you can counter your opponent's deployment.

Also look over Riki's advice. Shove piranhas in the TWC's faces.

Layer your Kroot to buy you two more turns of survivabilty. (You do have two Kroot units, right?)

Stay in your castle until the TWC are eliminated.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

Both groups were set up the same way...Stormshield, Powerfist, Claw.
    That sounds illegal. TWC squads can only have one special weapon. Powerfist or Claw (Wolf Claw?), not both. Unless you meant that one squad had a Powerfist and the other had a Wolf Claw.
    Unless I'm mistaken, do you remember exactly how they were set up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

@Takeda

I didn't look up his rules... Two groups of three
    One with Powerfist, on had a stormshield and one had a wolf claw
    I'll take a look @ his codex and see what the deal is. thanks for the heads up.

It did seem ridiculous with the number of crazy power attacks he was hitting me with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

@Takeda

I didn't look up his rules... Two groups of three
    One with Powerfist, on had a stormshield and one had a wolf claw
    I'll take a look @ his codex and see what the deal is. thanks for the heads up.

It did seem ridiculous with the number of crazy power attacks he was hitting me with.
    The only way you could get a PF and PW in a squad is if you had a Wolf guard battle leader or wolf lord joined to the Cav unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast