The Swarmlord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Swarmlord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Swarmlord

I'm thinking about converting a Swarmlord, but was wondering whether or not he's worth it (points-wise) against say a Hive Tyrant Upgraded with Lash Whip and Bonesword, Heavy Venom Cannon and Hive Commander. (220 Points)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Depends what kind of armies you're playing against.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

You cant really compare the two, theyre set up for totally different tasks. (for the record i think HVC's on tyrants are an incredible waste of time but thats kinda irrelevant.)

From expirience the swarmlord gets maximum use in 1 build, and thats Guant buffing. His ability to give preferd enemy makes all the difference between killing a few khorne bezerkers and wiping them out althogether (and im not exagerating either.)

Really a standard tyrant is fine, unless you have either 1. Lots of realtivly weak units (ie gaunts being buffed by tervigons or large units of gargoyles) or 2. if you lack any dangerous CC unit in the army for example in a total shooty list.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

I'd say I would have to agree with Heirodule. I would much prefer A Tyrant with talons and LW/BS (no cannons or guns), and that is just him basically. Arm him with a thorax swarm if you wish, and those extra abilities you pay for with the Hive Tyrant are great when comparing them to a Swarmlord because you get to choose exactly what you want. I have never been a big fan of Special Characters, and like to have some options.

Then again, the Swarmlord has great stuff for 110 points more expensive. Not only can he use two different psychic powers in a turn, he can choose all the ones available to a HT. I find the 'Shadow in the Warp' special rule pretty useless against most armies, synapse creature with 18" range and psyker are both good things to be, but his Bonesabres are awesome. They make all of his attacks instant death and successful invuln. saves must be rerolled. His blade parry gives him a 4+ Invuln. save, and his swarm leader and his alien cunning rules are just handy things to have.

Also, compare the stat lines: Swarmlord has one extra Weapon Skill, Wound, Initiative and has a 4+ Invuln. save. They are both Monstrous Creatures as well.

If you can't decide, have BOTH in your army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhop View Post
    I'm thinking about converting a Swarmlord, but was wondering whether or not he's worth it (points-wise) against say a Hive Tyrant Upgraded with Lash Whip and Bonesword, Heavy Venom Cannon and Hive Commander. (220 Points)
    The heavy venom cannon isn't that good. Mostly it slows down the Hive Tyrant and therefore limit's it ability to get close and eat people in assault. Assault is where alot of the Hive Tyrant's points are going.

Thw Swarmlord is good but expensive. It has lots of abilities like extended synapse and it can provide things like night vision or counter attack to friendly units. These things need to be put to use to get your points out of it. Also it has all four of the Hive Tyrant psychic powers. You need to try to use these when ever possible and use the best one ofr each type of enemy or situation. I think the Swarmlord is a good unit (though I haven't made one yet) it just needs to be controlled carefully. Also a Swarmlord is a fire magnet so it will need Tyrant Guard.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    The heavy venom cannon isn't that good.
    We have template-sized lascannons and yet it "isn't that good". Sometimes I think we are playing completely different games.

HVCs are awesomesauce, but like I always say, they're only as good as the entire list is. The entire list must account for HVC strengths and weaknesses. Just tossing one onto a tyrant and expecting miracles will of course result in disappointment.

You kit out your Tyrants to do what your list needs them to do. Maybe that means HVCs, maybe it doesn't.

And on the main topic: You can't compare any basic Tyrant and the Swarmlord. The Tyrant is flexible, the Swarmlord is not. The Swarmlord is very potent, but he's a unit you have to build an entire army list armound, specifically just for him. A basic Tyrant, on the other hand, can be built to compliment the army list. The approach to a basic Tyrant in list-building is exactly the opposite to how you approach the Swarmlord.
    Last edited by number6; July 25th, 2010 at 22:20.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread