Hellmask Timing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hellmask Timing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Hellmask Timing

If I have an IC lord with a hellmask when do enemies take the Ld test to see if they're affected? I assume right before they actually make their attacks (after they allocate them) but I just wanted to make sure.

Also does each model need to take a test or is it one test per unit?

The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hellmask entry should read like this:

At the start of every Assault phase, all enemy units in combat with a model wearing a Hellmask must pass a Ld test. Any that fail will need 6s to hit the mask's wearer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

where are you quoting this from? I can find it in neither the latest FAQ nor the latest (2nd) edition of the DE codex.

All I see is "Close combat opponent's must pass a Ld test in every round of combat. Any that fail will need 6s to hit the mask's wearer"
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

He wrote that it "should" be written that way, as in that's what he thinks. Not a great way to answer a rules question, and it is incorrect also.

The ambiguity allows the test to be taken any time before a roll to hit is made. So the player can roll by default before allocating, or he can choose to allocate first and then find out he needs sixes to hit when/if he fails the test. Naturally, the former is the more logical approach, and it's not so bad when players do this, since a failed test can result in no attacks at all against the IC. But sometimes players can and will forget about the hell mask, or they just won't know enough to prepare for it the first time. That is just the devilish nature of this particular piece of Dark Eldar wargear.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

The reason I'm asking is because if it is a beginning of the assault phase thing I was wondering if I could make them take the test before I pick the combat drug options for that turn. I've been using a jetbike wyche lord with reavers and against most characters he reduces their WS to 3, with the +1 WS drug choice that means they're hitting on 5's. Though it's not likely most chars will fail the hellmask test it'd save me from an extra OD chance.

Also does anyone have any idea if the test is for the whole unit, for each model, etc.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is for any model making attacks against the hell mask wearer, logically you would take the test after allocations are made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

No on both counts guys.

bugs, you can't force them to take it first, although they will often want to do that anyway.

Ordo, they can still take the test before allocation according to the RAW.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

+ Reply to Thread