Librarium Online Forums banner

Kommandos, how many and how to use them?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Bobby Carney 
#1 ·
I've been converting WHFB Orks into Kommandos, I have 2 at the moment. but now that I think of it: how many are viable in a squad? I mean should I max out on them or use 8? or just 5?
I dont think it's of much use if I make 15 of them (I need 4 FB Orks to make Nobz :p) when only Kommando squads of 8 are viable.

and HOW do you effectively use Kommandos?
I know its mostly Anti-Infrantry (though with Snikrot it has some anti armour capabilities in CC).

I'm collecting an army with units that I like, to play friendly games with (mostly vs Tau and probably Space Puppies). So if they aren't the best choice for the/a job I don't mind, as long as they are viable (Getting tabled time and time again is kinda depressing ;))

so to sum it up:
-how big should I make my kommando squad(s)
-how should I use it/them
-Snikrot HAS to be in it for them to be effective, or optional.

Rep for the people who help me out :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
basicly i was told from a mentor that snikrot+your kommandos squad 8 is excellent for space marine command hunting. once you see those captains get your kommandos and snik over ther for some head bashing goodness. hope this helps you

oh and forgot to mention that if you get behind any vehicles your kommandos shooting phase + the assault phase will wreck any light armored vehicles. like Dreadnoughts

#4 ·
so around 10+Snik( I guess he is needed for them to be effective?)
and can they do anything else except hunting for HQ+light vehicles?
can they harass/take out crisis suits? or other Units tau use for killing stuff (not FW, they only take those because they need to :p)
or a Devilish?
can they take some punishment? or should I move them from cover to cover, avoiding fire at all costs? (like actual commandos xD)

#6 ·
Ok, never let them get shot at. They are still only 10 regular orks.

I use them against Tau all the time (one of my mates plays them). Yes they are great for taking out crisis suits, then consolidate into someone else so they are locked in combat. My mate has now taken to spreading out his troops just because of them. They are the bane of his lists due to their ability to get into CC quickly and picking your table edge is just awesome.

Snikrot makes them less random, but he is not essential depending on the list.

Kommandos are a great harassment unit and they split fire.

My favorite units they have taken out First turn
-Long Fangs (they actually took out 2 squads in turn 1 then turn 2)
-Crisis suits
-Leman Russ
-Dred
-Basilisk (I loved that moment)
-Lots and lots of squads

#9 ·
hmm.
I'm tihnking 10 Kommandos. +Snikrot (probably a CA model though, I want my own orky fluf thingys :p)
I dont like the Burna's look, are (big) shootas useable or would 2 of those be more of a burden? what about Rokkit launchas?
I dont like the standard models but I might be able to make something that looks less goofy (I like the rag-tag and the "it works because I want it to" style of the Orks, but some things are just cartoony, like the rokkits..)

#10 ·
I have a question regarding unit composition here. What is the tactical advantage to taking Snikrot over a Nob with a power klaw? Is it because you're using the squad in reserve and then taking advantage of his "Ambush" rule? I'd think a power klaw Nob would be more effective in CC with his denying-of-saves. So yeah, I'm wondering why so many people are choosing Snikrot over a Nob?

Thanks,

jroode

#11 ·
With Snikrot, you're coming in on any table edge. That means the opponent can't protect things by keeping them flush against the back of the board, far from your rampaging boyz. They have the bad choice of putting vulnerable units back there, and letting Snikrot munch them, or putting them closer to the front where the rest of your mob can get at them. (Or they can guard them with a good CC unit, except that means said CC unit isn't up front against the rest of your line.)

Not many units make your opponent rethink his entire deployment strategy.

With a power klaw Nob, the kommandos can ambush, but they still can't get into combat the first turn, and they're expensive for boys and not well armored. Bullet magnets...

#13 ·
You can use them as an outflanking Nob w/ Power klaw. In my opinion, not worth it. They're not good at guessing table edge, and footslogging orks are bad enough as is. Footslogging expensive orks in small squad are made of failure and lose.

1) Snikkrott, 2x Flamers, Backyard surprise
- Snikkrott can actually do a number on rear armor 12 vehicles, and the flamers are absolutely unbelievable coming down on a dev or long fangs squad (remember, they're Power Weapons in CC.) They're also fine coming in against armor 10 tanks (thanks Furious Charge!) and they are pain on wheels for anyone whose been dumb enough to do things like guard fire lines or Combat Squad las cannons on back line.

2) Snikkrott, 2xRokkits, Anti-Armor package
-In general I'd rather have power weapons on boyz versus power armor rather than lousy BS 2 rokkits.
-Better shot at penning vehicles since you can often hit rear armor legit (i.e. not in CC).
-Gives them use against walkers.

3) Snikkrott,Warboss in Mega Armor, Burnax2
-Mega armored warbosses suck to get rid of, in a very real sense. Strength 10 power klaws, charge or no. Can opener stationary tanks like no one's business, can solo an entire Leman russ squad (never miss, pen on 2s). Warboss may IC onto a different squad if that isn't going to be a good use of him.

4) Snikkrott, Warboss on Warbike with PK, Burnax2
- Detachable homing missile. Better if you have other biker squads for Warboss to IC onto if you don't want snikky. Release first turn to go wreck something annoying, let snikky handle something else. Chaos in the back ranks.

5) Snikkrott, Ghazghul, Burna x2
- Ghaz has a 2+ INVUL when he WAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHs! This is INSANITY folks, he cannot be hurt at all for that turn (remember, Eternal Warrior AND multiwound on T5!). In the waugh, he can solo ICs, Terminators, pretty much anything. He ends tanks like they're made of butter, all they can do is run and cry. Add in an optimal Fleet of Foot Snikkrott (18" Charge range) and you have an absurd thing to visit your opponent's back line with. For HIGH POINT games ONLY.

#14 ·
Woohoo! My first ever LO post!

Am I wrong? Or would the best reason to include Snikrot be for the Infiltrate rule? What's not to like about deploying your Kommandoz anywhere on the board (12 to 18 in away from the oponent)?

Outflank is a nice secondary feature... but after watching SM scouts Infiltrate (and thereby set up in the perfect snipers nest) I want an orky unit that can do the same!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.