Kan wall or mechanized: Which is more fun - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Kan wall or mechanized: Which is more fun

Basically I see people asking which is more competitive a lot, and I am always curious which is more competitive.

But which is more fun?... and i guess competitive as well. (emphasis on fun)

Kan wall or Mechanized? (as these are the 2 most competitive builds out there atm.)

Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Kans. Pretty much any army can (And do...) go Mech, but orks are, I reckon, the only one that can field (Effectively) the sheer number of walkers that all Kans could provide.

Plus, kans are funner and easier to put together than trukks.
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to say mech, I play mech orks and always find them to be very entertaining. It also lets you use a greater variety of units and weapons than you kan in a kan wall. My problem with Kan armies is that they always play the same each game which can be really boring. You march your kans and boyz up the field towards everything and then if you survive you assault. With mech there are a lot of different strategies you can employ and can react to things faster instead of spending a couple turns running boyz and kans towards a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Never tried walker lists so I cant say whats more fun. But I do run a Mechanized army, and I enjoy the veriaty I can do with it.

First of all I will say that my army has a "core" of 2 deffrolling battlewagons filled with (most likely) 17 shootaboys, 2 bigshootas and a PK wielding nob and they are covered with KFF from the Big Mek. They have a couple of roles to play in my army. If the opponent is shooty, then drive forward to smash them in CC, if your opponent are choppy, then drive around 6" a turn and shoot ALOT at them.

Deffrolling is always great fun. Against low armoured enemies and tanks, it does wonders! And it is always nice to just push units away from objectives in the last turn.

In my army I use a couple of trukks filled with the deadly stuff. Either Sluggas, 'Ard sluggas, MANZ or Nobz. They can hold back and wait for the right moment, or rush forward at full speed.

I never leave home without my objective grabbers. 10 grots is always nice to have in reserves.

Other than that I add stuff as I please. Buggies, stormboys bikes, Lootas, Looted wagon... you name it.

I like the speed I gain from the vehicles. you can drive 12" jump out 2,99" and charge 6". and if you waagh that turn add another D6. Thats a long reach! So the army can hurt people from afar as well as up close. Shootaboys gives you some great tactical choices on the battlefield and its awesome!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

As much as I love killa kans and deff dreads, I have to say that mechanized is both more fun and more competitive. Why? 3 words:

DAWN OF WAR

Killa Kans have a lot of trouble being effective if they have to walk onto the board from your own table edge, especially when fighting any sort of a gunline. To make it worse, most kan wall armies I've seen also use plenty of lootas, who also have to give up at least one turn of shooting in a dawn of war mission.

Kan wall can indeed be fun, but I personally find walking them across the entire board to be very frustrating, and rarely effective.

On a side note, I think that there's definitely at least one more competitive Ork build, and it's the one that took second place at the East Coast Ard Boyz tournament. I don't know what to call it other than 'balanced'.

It was a horde of 125 slugga boyz (in 5 units, each with nob/pk) backed up by 3 units of 9 lootas, and with an incredibly powerful unit of nob bikers (10 nob bikers with all the trimmings and 2 warbosses on bikes attached) riding in front, to distract the opponent and tie him up until the slugga boyz reach the enemy's front lines.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walkers are actually my favorite model to build. I have had so much fun converting dreads. But I have horrible luck with them on the field (Grey Knight, Ork, doesn't seem to matter, they rarely pulled their points - I must be using them wrong). Yet I love making them. I am sitting here righting this thinking... "after the wierdboy, I think I want to do some kans..." though they will very likely just end up on eBay when I am done....
    Just depends what you find fun I guess.
    Hosea 1:11 - Great will be the day of Jezreel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to agree with basically everyone else here that Mechanized is a LOT more fun to play! In a Kan Wall all you do is try and walk straight at them and hope that you survive long enough to get into CC. In a Mech list, you can at least zoom around in fast vehicles, and if you get enough boyz you can fill up some battlewagons and play mech with a bunch of battlewagons and less trukks!
    On Warseer: Iracundus: "So you might end up with "renegade" Chapters, but more split due to ideology rather than because the big bogeyman of Chaos suddenly makes them all cackling mustache twirling villains."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I agree with Jezreel, custom walkers are a ton of fun to convert. It would be beautiful to see a full Kan army, and def. more uncommon/unique than the standard transport lists that you see in every army, ork or otherwise. I'm currently working on 2 Dreds who will form a mini-wall for a group of nobz running behind them. I haven't tried it yet but am confident that those three units will be a pretty scary distraction and threat when running toward the enemy, and the matching color schemes should give it the look of a "unit".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

This thread is relevant to my interests. Glad I went mech now. My space marines are also mech... but I just can't stop myself from doing it in orks to, especially after reading this. Mech is too much fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

FOOTSLOGGERS!!!!!!!!!1111one

I only have three vehicles in my army, a battlewagon for the KFF, a boomgun looted russ and a trukk for my Boss and his boyz. Everyone else is walkin'. You would be shocked how many of 'em get there! ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast