Choice moments - my Apocalypse game yesterday - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x2)

Choice moments - my Apocalypse game yesterday

thought peeps here might be interested- played an apoc game yesterday, two teams - 8000pts a side and i managed to scrape together my half with no worries. teamed up with a friend who has a gorgeous nurgle army against a combo-ed force of blood angels and a small grey knight support.

this is what deployment looked like from our end

and from the opponent's

got caught with our pants down having only bid 2 mins for setup and my damned opponent distracted me leaving me deploying some gumby units by themselves like the prime ended up placed at the back of the board doing nothing.

didn't matter because i was about to pull THIS chump move:

WHAMMO flank march fools

Mephiston tried to show his stuff off, but a full ten man squad of stealers + broodlord totally should him how its done. pity i missed getting it on camera.

Winged tyrant comes in from the flank and squats out a psychic scream, kills an attack bike that's inconveniently in the way and clears the way to Sanguinator. they gesticulate wildly at one another for a bit, but the over-powering wingspan stumps the weirdest character in the whole book.

bleurgh! daemon prince looks on from a position of leisure while assault marines get busy. looks like i'll have to actually do some work

yeah take that dorks, doom lands bang smack in the middle of it all. results: life-leeching terminators and marines, and making my opponents shake their heads in disgust.

walking tyrant shows up to see what all the fuss is about

devgaunts give dante and his accompanying squad a very thorough and wormy enema.

this was fun:

trygon and accompanying raveners show up on the opposite flank to put the frights into the tanks over there. trygon gets a little too enthusiastic and tears the baneblade apart to the point of a catastrophic meltdown.

this is what happened to the terrain and models afterwards:

only two raveners were left, confused as to what just happened. death company that got blown out of their stormraven by my tyrannofex's take offence and promptly give the trygon a piece of their mind. he goes down laughing

great game, managed to win that with three objectives to two, after i pointed out how contest and claim in the book. that thing is out of date alright, but we agreed to play it to its wording. had heaps of fun as it was a game that displayed the sheer ludicrous nature of apocalypse: big show downs, stupid scenarios and big ass explosions.

it definitely showed just how powerful nids are at higher points levels, with even our regular bugs being able to take on the special character equivalents and big point sink units.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Great game. It's true that a lot of things in the Apoc rulebook is somewhat outdated. It was written with 4th edition 40K in mind. You will find some inconsistencies with newer 5th edition rules and codices. With that, you just have to come up with some house rules on how to play it. For example, the Apoc BRB says that you have to be a squad of at least 50% to capture an objective. Nowadays, most people play at the same as 5th rules...that scoring units can capture.

Also, our gaming group tends to restrict certain Strategic Assets. Assets like Flank March is retarded for assaulty armies like nids, orks or even chaos. Disruption Beacon also screws armies like daemons and drop-pod armies. Then using Replacements to replace a super-heavy, titan or gargantuan creature is just nasty. These type of assets just unbalances the game and makes it not fun so we tend to restrict or limit their use (i.e. maybe Disruption Beacon range of 24" instead of 48" or only able to Flank March 1 or 2 units instead of the whole army).

The main thing is that we always declare any apoc formations, assets or super-heavy/gargantuan units. This way there are no "unpleasant" surprises that will make the game "un-fun" for all parties involved.

Anyways, what did your army consist of (your army list)? Did you use any formations or assets other than Flank March?
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x2)

nope no formations or anything, just ran with my army and flank march - wanted to try on the genestealer infestation, but the rules were too funky out-of-date to use seeing we were all unaware of inconsistencies between the rules.

i'm thinking next time it'll be better to nominate one person an overall game-master to observe and iron out the rules discrepances with the rest of us.

i ran with:

walking tyrant + guard and a flying tyrant
    tyranid prime
    tervigon
    2x zoans
    3x hive guard
    Doom in spore
    deathleaper
    2x lictors
    venomthrope
    25x devgaunts
    20x hormagaunts
    2x 10 man stealer broods, one with a broodlord
    2x 3 man ravener broods
    old one eye
    2x tyrannofexes with rupture cannons
    trygon

and four spore mines to fill out points.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

FWIW, Apocalypse: Reloaded specifically mentions the objective claiming rules thingy. In typical GW fashion they say something like, "Do whatever you want."
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Yeah, Apoc Reload is essentially GW's update of Apoc to 5th ed. Even still, it is basically saying decide your own rules. Honestly, we didn't need Reload to tell us something that we've already been doing.

Anyways, in my most recent Apoc game (just this past Sat), our opponents were playing the old Apoc rules and didn't bring a single troop choice. They had all devastators, sternguards, vanguards and terminators. We decided to compromise and make it any troop choice or non-troop infantry unit over 50% strength becomes scoring.

I have an Apoc game coming up this Thurs - 5K of Nids. If you have enough gaunts, I'd recommend the Endless Swarm formation. It is one of the best formations for nids and the only one that I have to have. This is what I'm thinking of bringing:

Heirophant Bio-titan - XXX

Endless Swarm - 1520
    - 3x20 Termagants - AG, TS, Devourers
    - 3x20 Hormagants - AG, TS

2x Dakka Walkrants w/1 Guard each - 520
    Malanthrope - XXX
    6x Hive Guards - 300
    2x Zoans - 120
    Doom in Spore - 130
    5x Trygons - - 1000

5000pts
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x2)

that's the only problem, having enough gaunts (grumble grumble) i've got to paint a few more basic ones and get the guns on my devgaunts painted, but i really don't want to do any more after that. i'm even giving up the idea of getting gargoyles because i really can't bring myself to think about painting another 20 wee fellas. a pity because i like the unit and the models

but yeah, endless swarm looks fantastic.

how does the malanthrope perform? seeing i have that model now, running as my Doom, i'm keen to try him on. saw his rules in the IA: Apocalypse 2 book, but nothing seemed all that spectacular.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

What I did with my swarms of gaunts was to just spray paint them. I then painted just their carapaces and put a wash on the whole thing (or dip them). Quick and only about 5 min per gaunt (after the spray painting).

If you play the Malanthrope's Warp Field as 3++ invuln, then he's great. You then have a highly survivable synapse MC. The only thing, though, is that you need to discuss how to play the warp field on some of the Apoc units (namely, the malanthrope and heirophant bio-titan). Giving the malanthrope the updated warp field is fine...but giving the bio-titan the new warp field makes him nigh indestructible (we usually play the bio-titan as the old 6++ warp field). He's a good character killer because all his attacks cause Instant Death no matter the toughness and with a 2+/3++, he's one tough mofo to kill (not impossible, but tough).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Good stuff Potato legs. I like how you squished the over the top Blood angels characters. Reppy for you.

+ Reply to Thread