Librarium Online Forums banner

Kroot OX

905 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Blasterdude3 
#1 ·
Heres a stupid question form a beginner:

Why does no-one choose kroot ox's?

They are troops, which means they can use devilfish.
They are better than firewarriors on the face of things, 48" st 7 Ap4
They have more wounds than the standard firewarriors (3 to 1)
They have smaller units and better leadership
They are much better in CC.

Are there any reasons why you don't take Kroot oxes?

I appreciate that this is probably a dumb question in hindsight, but it has been bugging me.
Thanks,
Red :beer:

#6 ·
Yeah they lose their infiltrate with a rider in the squad

Seriph pretty much hit the nail on the head, and Serran's point doesn't help the unit ;) Also, since most people use Kroot as a speedbump, you usually want them as cheap as possible... with maybe some hounds for that Initiative 5 goodness :L
Thank you for getting my name correct. You wouldn't believe how many people miss-spell my name seconds after looking at it...
Yeah hounds are the only other kroot you should focus on getting. 100pts can get you: 10KC+5KH (i think number6 suggested this first).

Hope this helps RedXIX...

#5 ·
Seriph pretty much hit the nail on the head, and Serran's point doesn't help the unit ;) Also, since most people use Kroot as a speedbump, you usually want them as cheap as possible... with maybe some hounds for that Initiative 5 goodness :L

Reactions: Blood Seriph
#7 ·
Yeah, that just about does it, thanks guys.
I wasn't aware that you had to take a minimum of 10 KC plus extras (must've missed that bit of info in the Codex). It makes sense now that you would need to use the kroot in a very different way. Perhaps in a long line with the OX's on the end to go shooty with? set up another unit of kroot in the same way behind the first one, should give you some reasonable speed-bump protection and a bit of rapid-fire protection before they end up in CC?

just speculating here guys, nothing more.

Thanks, Red

#8 ·
Agreed with all above posts; Krootoxes are pretty bad, if only they had rending/power weapon attacks in CC like in DoW1 - they're absolutely brutal!

Their model pose is alright but modelling them is just plain annoying as the pieces just don't fit, plus you'd need a ton of GS just to fill in the massive gaps left after you pin them. On paper they're worst, T3 sucks the hardest, as it looks like the kroot rider always gets hit, even if the Krootox gets a Toughness boost the majority toughness rule kicks in! I'm sorry but the Krootox is really bad across the board, if you want S7 AP4 weaponry the Deathrain XV8 does the job way better.

A long line of shooty Kroot/Krootoxes? Why? for a minimum unit of 10 Kroot and 3 Krootoxes you're talking about a 175 point unit full of squishy T3, no armour models with only 10 Kroot Rifle shots and 3 Kroot Gun shots, all at BS3! That's quite a point sink there for a unit that would do basically nothing during the game apart from getting slaughtered by Turn 3. You can get a Railhead for 10 points cheaper!
My advice to you is this: Never take Krooxtox, the Kroot can only do one thing whilst in this edition; distract the enemy and die For the Greater Good ;)

-Kai-Itza-

#12 ·
So I am going to stand up for the much maligned Krootox.

Is the Krootox the most effective unit? No!
Is the Krootox the most efficient unit? No!
Is the Krootox a fun and enjoyable unit to play? Yes!

Take this unit for example. 10 Kroot with 2 Krootox.
If you sit this unit in a tree stand they are an unbelievably tough unit to route out, have some really good firepower and are really strong in CC.
I highly reccomend that you take a unit of 10 kroot and 2 krootox in fun/freindly games. They are one of my favourite units.

Dave

#13 ·
sounds good to me :)
3 strength 6 attacks with three wounds in cc with cover saves! woot

Dump question here: if you insta-kill a model with multiple wounds, does the model lose just one wound, or die out-right?

Thanks for putting up with me,
Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.