Librarium Online Forums banner

Help Designing a list to team with bugs

1K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  greggles 
#1 ·
Playing a doubles tourney in a couple of weeks, I'm bringing Orks, my buddy Bugs.

I anticipate he will bring somehting like:

2 x tervigons
Big mob of Termigaunts
Big mob of Hormagauts
2 x 2 Zoanthropes

There may be other stuff... but the general idea is he has two gaunt factories to create a hoarde of little bugs, supported by two very big bugs and some tank zapping bugs.

To compliment this I was planning on something like:

Big Mek, KFF

30 Slugga Boyz, Nob PK, BP
30 Slugga Boyz, Nob PK, BP
3 x KillaKans - Grotzookas
3 x KillaKans - Rokkits
Deffdread, Skorcha, 3x DCCW, Armor Plates, Grot Riggers
19 Grotz Runtherd
13 points left over

The kans march up front with the tervigons covered, the big met attached to a boyz squad withing 6" behind the kans covering everyon, the Dread is also up front. Gaunts guarding the flanks, taking charges being supported by boyz, zoanthropes in the mix to fire at tanks andd such. one big biomass wrecking ball with some 'Dread'ful metal teeth at the front Grots to sit on an objective or screen.

I don't know if i like it, it doesn't have the PUNCH i would want to see, I'd like to make a mixed army that involves Ghazzy and the Swarmlord, but i'm not sure how to design that effectively - help?

What would you do when teaming with bugs?

See less See more
#3 ·
Buy your Mek something nice... armor... a boss pole... something. He looks a little naked and you have 13 points left over.

As for advice... it looks like you guys are maxing out the horde and you are bringing the stomp. I think it will work out well... probably.

#4 ·
Just had a battle with some ty's the other day (750 vs 750). Might want to consider exchanging one of the slugga mobs for a shoota mob. He had almost nothing that could handle my walkers (as long as the walkers stayed OUT of assault range), but his CC troops decimated my slugga's. My shoota group was able to whittle them down enough to win the assaults. (In a full size mob, you can take 3 big shoota's)

My deff dread was utterly useless. The second it got assaulted, it was destroyed. I had to get close to use the flamers...which got me assaulted. Next time if I used one, I'd take some big shoota's, or drop him completely for more kila kans with shoota's.

You really want to stay out of close combat until you're 100% sure that...
1) You'll get the charge
2) You've already taken out a number of his/her units.
3) Stay away from gene stealers. 3 attacks on a charge, WS 6, STR4, they always go first.

I did win...barely, in a huge climatic battle of the hive tyrant vs the warboss and a nob.

#5 ·
My deff dread was utterly useless.
Sadly, that is the way a lot of us feel about em... they just aren't worth their points in kans. Shoota boyz might not be a bad idea, especially with all these tyranids running around and clogging up assault lanes. ^_^

#6 ·
This is the list we've semi-finalized:

Nids:

Swarmlord, 2x Tyrant Guard w Boneswords and Rending Claws

13 Termigaunts
13 Termigaunts
Tervigon, Catalyst, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, clusterspines

2 Zoanthropes
2 Zoanthropes

Orks:

Ghazzy

20 Shoota Boyz, 2 big Shootas, Nob W PK, BP
30 slugga boyz, Nob w PK, BP
16 Grots, Runtherd

2 Killakans - Grotzookas
2 Killakans - rokkits

9 Lootas

How do you think this will work?

Killakans out front, screening as much as possible. Orks behind, lootas on a hill in cover somewhere, Grots either holding an objective or screening a vital flank.

Swarmlord hides behind a carpet of gaunts, with the tervigon, Gaunts serve as the frontline meat shield. Tervigon spawns more, and swarmlord and ghazzy charge headlong into the enemy. Zoans and Lootas balst the crap outta vehicles and monsters.

Kan Screen doesn't have cover due to no Big mek, but they're cheap and killy..

thoughts?

#21 ·

Nids:

13 Termigaunts
13 Termigaunts

2 Zoanthropes
2 Zoanthropes

Orks:

Ghazzy

16 Grots, Runtherd

2 Killakans - Grotzookas
2 Killakans - rokkits

9 Lootas

Killakans out front, screening as much as possible. Orks behind, lootas on a hill in cover somewhere, Grots either holding an objective or screening a vital flank.

Swarmlord hides behind a carpet of gaunts, with the tervigon, Gaunts serve as the frontline meat shield. Tervigon spawns more, and swarmlord and ghazzy charge headlong into the enemy. Zoans and Lootas balst the crap outta vehicles and monsters.

thoughts?

#22 ·

Nids:

13 Termigaunts
13 Termigaunts

2 Zoanthropes
2 Zoanthropes

Orks:

Ghazzy

16 Grots, Runtherd

2 Killakans - Grotzookas
2 Killakans - rokkits

9 Lootas

thoughts?

#23 ·

Nids:

13 Termigaunts
13 Termigaunts

2 Zoanthropes
2 Zoanthropes

Orks:

Ghazzy

16 Grots, Runtherd

2 Killakans - Grotzookas
2 Killakans - rokkits

9 Lootas

thoughts?

#24 ·
you sure thats not your final list as you have just posted it like 10 times lol

I like the plan but i think you made a poor choice with the HQ - his on a bike (codex not with me so correct me if im wrong) he is very good with always being able to shoot and having a coversave from the bike but he will still prob die to 3 ML space marines - saying 2 hit, they would wound on a 2+ i think so say both wound, you then save one of them. that leaves your model dead as a bike is T4 (5) so S8 ML is double the natural T so he would be dead.

Now he could cause some problems for the enemy and i wanna try running him with a bike unit/ nob bikers to keep him safe

but i think with the list your building your big mek with KFF will make your whole army stronger more than the benifit you would get from the other HQ.

But it is your choice, but Kans will be much more scary with a cover save.

#25 ·
you sure thats not your final list as you have just posted it like 10 times lol

I like the plan but i think you made a poor choice with the HQ - his on a bike (codex not with me so correct me if im wrong) he is very good with always being able to shoot and having a coversave from the bike but he will still prob die to 3 ML space marines - saying 2 hit, they would wound on a 2+ i think so say both wound, you then save one of them. that leaves your model dead as a bike is T4 (5) so S8 ML is double the natural T so he would be dead.

Now he could cause some problems for the enemy and i wanna try running him with a bike unit/ nob bikers to keep him safe

but i think with the list your building your big mek with KFF will make your whole army stronger more than the benifit you would get from the other HQ.

But it is your choice, but Kans will be much more scary with a cover save.

#26 ·
Sounds... like... killy... fun...

Dear lord man... your internets! It is horrible! Poor guy.

#27 ·
sadly, that is the way a lot of us feel about em... they just aren't worth their points in kans.
I'm still not giving up on the dread! It did take an awful lot of fire from my opponents, and kept slugging forward. My main problem was the dual heavy flamers I fit it with. I only got to use them once, then it was in CC and disabled.

Next time I'm going to load up on two big shoota's. Even though we have to hit on a 5, with 6 dice, and a 36" threat range, it should give enough hits to distract the opponent while the boyz move into position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.