Competitiveness? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitiveness?

I feel like I'm opening up a can of worms here, but oh well.

I do not own an Ork army but I do own the codex. I've read it a few times in the past, and found it to be a fairly interesting army. However, after somewhat returning to 40k in the past week after an almost-year-long hiatus, I read in in a few places that the Orks are apparently a "joke" in the competitive environment.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping for some deeper answers rather than the somewhat generic "its the general that matters", as despite that being true, some armies really overwork their generals for the win :/

I'm asking this somewhat out of curiosity as one of my friends plays Orks, but he has also been on hiatus and we've never played together with the newest Ork codex.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

They still win tourney's... so I say they are competitive.

Usually they are put in teir 1 or teir 2... more towards teir 2 now SW and BA came out but that means they are strong as hell.

Saying all this they have lots of things that are crap in the dex, but they also have AV14 w/ 4+ cover save.

they can put out 182 models in 1500 points with an awesome stat line. They can out shoot Tau. They have a problem with anti-tank that is about it.

Honestly they are by far not a joke... try Witch Hunters for that (I will get shot for saying that, but they were my first army)
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

A joke? Only uber-competitive snobs would consider Orks a joke. Far from it, they're a very powerful army, with nobz/biker nobz, killa kan walls, and 120-180 slugga/shoota boy lists being as formidable in a tournament as they are anywhere else.

The reason some really competitive players don't consider Orks to be competitive is because they're not Imperial Guard, Blood Angels, or Space Wolves. Last time I checked, these are the only armies that they consider to be 'top tier' right now, even though only 1 of the 3 won one of this year's Ard Boyz (Imperial Guard, Daemons, and Chaos Marines were the winners).

These three armies are indeed powerful, but what the Orks are really good at are fielding armies that aren't balanced or what is normally considered competitive, but that most 'competitive' armies can't beat.

The last game I played in was with my Space Wolves, and I was thrashed by a fluffy army that would make any competitive player wince. 9 killa kans with grotzookas, 2 deff dreads, 2 kustom force fields, 3 units of 30 boyz, and 2 units of nobz on foot.

There are a dozen things I can see potentially wrong with that list, from a competitive viewpoint, but regardless, I got myself thrashed for the first half of the game, simply because I didn't have nearly enough shooting to stop all the walkers, boyz, and nobz. I only salvaged a tie by abandoning my firebase to die, and taking my troops over to the less defended objectives. Regardless, he definitely had the moral victory.

So to sum up, I definitely think that Orks are competitive, but in the same way that Tyranids and Chaos Daemons armies are. They're 'spoiler' lists that field an often bizarre and unconventional army for your opponent to face, which is often more than a competitive player is prepared for.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 7th, 2010 at 22:55.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

orks are compeditive, as of now i am 1-0-1 in a doubles tourny and the loss was beacause the 2 people we where vsing where IG who both took 50 conscipts yarak in one a comistare in the other. btw it was a bases mission, each get one objective. but back to the main topic, the most competitive list i have ever seen play was orks with 3 bw with 20 shoota boyz in the first 2 and 19 then a bm in the 3rd. then 2 units of 30 slugga boyz on foot, 5 nob bikerz with warboss. and 3 units of 10 lootas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by riman1212 View Post
    the loss was beacause the 2 people we where vsing where IG who both took 50 conscipts yarak in one a comistare in the other.
    What? that is an awful list, conscripts are awful, Yarik is awful and lord commissars are awful(I'm assuming that's what you meant by comistare.)

As a mech IG player, I love to see enemy armour, and only orks can make a foot slogging list with enough troops to scare me the slightest bit.

Orks aren't the most competitive, but they are better than most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Yes they are competitive. I was had my first tourney with orks a month ago and went 2-0-1. I lost to a Daemon army with Skarbrand and Kairos, (army with 700pts in HQ no thanks, and my first time against daemons). I also beat an ork army and a IG army that did the classic tactic of sitting and shooting the whole game. The winner of the tourney ran the Ork slogging horde (I run mech/infantry hybrid, for fluff reasons).

So yeah they can still win games and tourneys. High AV vehicles, lots of shooting, and CC units that pack better stats/protection/weapons are what Orks have trouble against. But the beset thing against all that is More ORks!
    Repainting Orks not sure how many points yet
    Warriors of Chaos shelved until further notice

+ Reply to Thread