How do Dark Eldar breathe and what not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

How do Dark Eldar breathe and what not?

I understand that Dark Eldar live in the webway in the dark city of Commoraugh(spelling?). But I do not really understand how one can live within the webway? How do you survive there? Is there already air or a way to survive or do they have to go on air raids to sustain themselves?

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

LOL air raids, that's a good one.
    I hope these loopholes get fixed in the new codex, one with actual fluff.

I was assuming the Dark Eldar lived on a asteroid in some deserted part of the galaxy and use the webway to pop up unnoticed and leave without a trace...

But I wouldn't worry too much about practical things as breathing, it is Science-Fiction after all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jairo View Post

I was assuming the Dark Eldar lived on a asteroid in some deserted part of the galaxy and use the webway to pop up unnoticed and leave without a trace...

But I wouldn't worry too much about practical things as breathing, it is Science-Fiction after all.
    Perhaps the Dark Eldar work in a way similar to Orks. When they think something works it does. Like when orks shoot trash guns or when red actually makes it faster. It could be that dark eldar assume there is air there so they breathe. But if you tell them there is no air... then thats how you kill of the dark eldar.
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Some interesting information about the webway can be found in the new "Path of the Warrior" book - it's about the Eldar but gives some clues about the warp tunnels (the webway) that are frequented by Eldar and Dark Eldar.

What I gathered from the book:

You can walk on it
    The eldar that were walking on it were breathing normally - there was no mention of the lack of breathing air
    They are large enough for starships to travel in
    The webways are tunnels that ignore space and time
    The webways are not part of the actual warp and warp creatures do not exist in them

Based on this info from the book I would say that the Dark Eldar escaped into these warp tunnels, found a nook to hide in the less frequented paths and built a city on the walls of the warp. Apparently the webway is somewhat shielded from the warp as Slaanesh's power is diminished from devouring their souls there so this really does seem to be an excellent place for a dying race to dwell and raid from (they are living in a worm hole).

Just my opinion of course.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jairo View Post

I don't get where you got it that they live on an asteroid, fluff clearly says they live in the webway. Their cities lie within the webway, they do spend some time in our reality, but mainly to pillage, rape and kill.

40k is like a mix of fantasy and sci fi, some things can somewhat be explained, but some things are just magical, the webway is kind of half half, evnetually you can see it as very advanced tech.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post
    Some interesting information about the webway can be found in the new "Path of the Warrior" book - it's about the Eldar but gives some clues about the warp tunnels (the webway) that are frequented by Eldar and Dark Eldar.

What I gathered from the book:

You can walk on it
    The eldar that were walking on it were breathing normally - there was no mention of the lack of breathing air
    They are large enough for starships to travel in
    The webways are not part of the actual warp and warp creatures do not exist in them

Based on this info from the book I would say that the Dark Eldar escaped into these warp tunnels, found a nook to hide in the less frequented paths and built a city on the walls of the warp. Apparently the webway is somewhat shielded from the warp as Slaanesh's power is diminished from devouring their souls there so this really does seem to be an excellent place for a dying race to dwell and raid from (they are living in a worm hole).

Just my opinion of course.
    The problem with BL books is that they're not 100% the same as GW fluff, for example:
    DE easily worship chaos in BL books, while in GW fluff you won't find it.

There's is plenty of webway fluff, but if you want it, you probably have to go get it far away, I'm talking rogue trader far.

The webway is according to fluff created by the "old ones" ,some kind of super old ,super advanced race, who even created the eldar themselves. Other sources says that those tunnels were created by the Hrud, who passed the tech to the eldar, but Hrud are probably also created byt he old ones.

The webway itself is another dimension, it's not our dimension and it's not the warp, it's a third dimension.
    Demons can penetrate it and destroy webway tunnels, but they don't live in it. Like in our dimension they can probably only stay there for a moment.You can pretty much consider the webway like a big highway, situated in another dimension, it used to be a lot bigger than now, but chaos has destroyed many webway tunnel. Eldar don't have the knowlegde to create or to repair those tunnels.

Not ignore, but see differently, ignore would imply that time and space don't exist in there.

He's right on most other things. The webway is huge, it has cities, space ships can travel in it, look at the Dark Eldar artwork in the rulebook, a huge imperial ship looks like a tiny ant in Commoragh.
    DE aren't described as wearing masks or anything to breathe, so it's safe to assume you got air. Another source for this: harlequins do wear masks, but not respirators, those mask have ritual and fighting purposes. Harlies spend most of their time in the webway, they have tons of fluff and none of their fluff says they can'ty breathe normally within the webway.

The webway is another dimension, so our rules don't have to apply there. As far as gravity, we have no way of knowing if it's the same. Again take a look at the DE artwork in the rulebook, constructions seem to defy our normal gravity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I have no special source of fluff here, however one can deduce that the Eldar manage to create/recycle oxygen on their craftworlds as they would not have any form of normal atomsphere - surely the same tech is available within Commoragh? Filling the whole webway with oxygen is, however, a totally different logistical challenge.

Oh, and does anyone actually know that Eldar are required to 'breathe' oxygen or other gas? Or is this just an assumption we are making :-)
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

They need to steal the air from planet Druidia. ^_^

But seriously, man, don't worry about air. You can breathe anywhere in the 40k universe if you are a guardsman.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Eldar do breathe, and why couldn't the webway have been created with air/air-generating modules? Sure, filling it is a chore, but if it fills itself as part of it's nature, it's a whole different kettle of Maruivian Fighting Salmon.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

All this great info aside, it's still very hard to get a feel for what the webway is like, let alone how one goes about living there any length of time. Does it have solid land, or do cities float in a huge space? Is that space finite or does it stretch out like space? If it is finite, what makes up the edge of these tunnel dimensions?

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's basically a series of paths, linked together at junctions - both the paths and the junctions vary wildly in size (from man sized to interstellar ship size), however the foot tunnels are truncated tubes (meaning they look something like 'n' but with a floor). The DE city is within one of these junctions, albeit what is probably one of the largest. The ends of the tunnels merge seamlessly with normal space, meaning you can start walking down a canyon and suddenly you're in a tunnel twisting through an adjacent dimenson.

And I think the walls glow blue, but that might be my imagination filling in details not mentioned in the books
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast