First look at Nightbringer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

First look at Nightbringer

I don't have a Nightbringer, but today at our Hobby shop games day, I got my first look at one in action. The player was playing 1500 points against my sons' Imperial Guard army and here's what I saw: Snipers rending and a Primaris Psykers' lightning arc blowing it to pieces in the 2nd round. The Nightbringer barely showed it's face and blooey! Dead!
    Is this typical of a Ctan nowadays with new codexes coming out? I heard that the Deceiver is a better Ctan choice but really, with phase out, are Ctans really worth getting? I was blown away how quick the Nightbringer died. He folded quicker than Superman on laundry day! I mean, we are talking 360 points gone in round 2. Are these Ctans just over-priced or just not used correctly? Should you just reserve Ctans for 2000 point games and over? By the way, the Necrons phased out in the 5th round.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like your son got lucky there. My Nightbringer managed to tank three rounds of fire, only to proceed to killing 600 points worth of enemy units, in my last 3000 point game. He usually do even better when playing lower point games.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

With 4++ the Nighty should be able to take 8 to 12 wounding hits before actually going down. However, with MC killing stuff like Sternguard special mmunition, snipers and such this is actually pretty easy to do nowadays. Furthermore C'tan do not have Eternal Warrior so they can be one-shotted by almost every existing army using force weapons, boneswords and such.

I admit using C'tan at times, but my tactic is that I don't even expect it to survive. The one and only reason for him is to deploy as much forward as possible and go forward aggressively, practically forcing enemy to put lascannons, snipers, sternguards and such on him. While the C'tan takes the hits my Destroyers don't take those same hits and will proceed to annihilate the enemy.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    With 4++ the Nighty should be able to take 8 to 12 wounding hits before actually going down. However, with MC killing stuff like Sternguard special mmunition, snipers and such this is actually pretty easy to do nowadays. Furthermore C'tan do not have Eternal Warrior so they can be one-shotted by almost every existing army using force weapons, boneswords and such.

I admit using C'tan at times, but my tactic is that I don't even expect it to survive. The one and only reason for him is to deploy as much forward as possible and go forward aggressively, practically forcing enemy to put lascannons, snipers, sternguards and such on him. While the C'tan takes the hits my Destroyers don't take those same hits and will proceed to annihilate the enemy.
    I have the same kind of logic with a Great Unclean One. I use it for a forward position unit to draw fire keeping squishier units with less fire. Like I say, this was my first experience with the Ctan and I was just blown away by how it died. I just thought "Wow, there's 360 points gone for almost nothing". I guess the Ctan is a victim of being obsolete by the newer rules.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

"Wow, there's 360 points gone for almost nothing". I guess the Ctan is a victim of being obsolete by the newer rules.
    Yes, I think you could be right. One of the things I don't like about C'tans in general is their high cost for what you get. Yes, if it survives and gets into a combat there's nothing that is going to stand up to it, but for the cost of in this case the Nightbringer you can take a full unit of Pariahs or a full unit of Warriors. Suddenly, 5 wounds becomes double or even quadruple that number. Also, you get a heck of a lot of firepower, plus other bonuses from the Pariah unit if you can use them well, never mind the huge bump in 'necron' numbers to elevate the Phase Out level if you take the Warriors.

One of the big things though about C'tan is their stoicism, ie they are darn near impossible to shift off an objective without shooting them to death, and even that is hard to do with a 50% chance of saving against everything. Don't try to assault them with anything less than Strength 8 as it just makes it too hard to hurt them, and to get that strength you're talking powerfists etc. Oh look - they go *after* the C'tan swipes a few of them off the table. Not so many attacks going in against the big guy after all.

Heh heh! Guess who has suffered against a C'tan Nightbringer in this way!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

First thing. Both Ctan are T8. Not much can wound toughness 8 except SPECIAL weapons like high strength, poisoned, snipers, and such. The way to destroy a Ctan is not to land a few strong shots at him, it's to plant LOTS of wounds on him. His 4++ save is really the sad part. I wish he was 3+/4++, but I suppose that would make him pretty hard to drop and with 5 wounds they're tough.

The secret in my 1850+ lists is I hide my Deceiver behind my Monolith until I feel it's right to split their paths. Once my Deceiver is in combat, he'll never get shot at again (because he can leapfrog assault to assault in their turn). This is just one reason I like the Deceiver over the Nightbringer. But as always, the Ctan will die horribly to LOTS of wounds. 4++ means 10 wounds should drop him (I like the above example of 8-12, since dice don't seem to follow mathhammer much )
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

Part of what killed the Ctan was Primaris's psyker attack "lightning arc". My son rolled double sixes for the amount of shots on him. I compare Nightbringer to the Great Unclean One in this situation. My GUO is a full 150 points cheaper than Nightbringer and seems to pull his weight just as good. But as I say in another thread, is it even fair to compare?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    Part of what killed the Ctan was Primaris's psyker attack "lightning arc". My son rolled double sixes for the amount of shots on him. I compare Nightbringer to the Great Unclean One in this situation. My GUO is a full 150 points cheaper than Nightbringer and seems to pull his weight just as good. But as I say in another thread, is it even fair to compare?
    Well GUO people with invul saves get saves still. My Ctan can make terminators run home to mommy when I slash 120pts down without trying. So it's the standard rock, scissors, paper routine. Ctan are good against something, but weak against others, etc. All things 40k are kind of designed with that in mind (just my opinion though).
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

In a tourny in the spring I played the Deciever. My opponent stole the inititive and SW wolf priest shot it Jaws of the World Wolf the first shot of the Tourny and I promptly rolled a 6 on my test.,,, ****POOF GONE****

All I could do was laugh..... I got a $5 store credit at least from the TO for that one once that story floated around the tourny.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

+ Reply to Thread