Most competitive Eldar army you can think of? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most competitive Eldar army you can think of?

I hear a lot of people looking for fun or casual units, but I'm really curious as to what units and combinations you guys consider hard core. I have no intention of fielding such a competitive list, like I said it's more for curiousity. Does it get more/less ridiculous as points increase etc.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

as far as i know, the more competetive the list, the fewer models as everyone wants 3+ jetbikes or Power Weapons to negate any armour. Also be aware that some may try and catch you out with 1/2 the force infiltrating

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

For pure cheesy wins I take mass Wave Serpents and tanks. In 1750 pts I'll have 5 Wave Serpents, 1 Falcon and 2 Night Spinners.
    I don't play this in tournament (though I probably should), but it's brutal.

HQ:
    Eldrad Ulthran

Elites:
    5x Fire Dragons in Falcon (sprt stone, holo-field, star engines, EML)
    5x Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent (sprt stn, EML)
    5x Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent (sprt stn, EML)

Troops
    5x Dire Avengers in Wave Serpent (sprt stn, EML)

Heavy:
    Night Spinner
    Night Spinner
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x4)

Hmm one of my favourite topics.

First competitive Eldar do not really exists. When BA become same as mobile and SW got the same versatility we got badly into tier 2. Not like the orks that suffer from a badly written codex, we suffer from an outdated codex that is expensive point wise.

But we still have some good points that can get you a lot of satisfaction in tight games against real good players.

Now Eldar has only 2 still manageble builds: seer council based and mech serpent based. All other builds suffer from non competitive expensive units syndrome.
    But do not fool yourself both jetbike warlocks and serpent are badly expensive reported to their new cousins BA doom jet assault squads with all around bubble of FNP awesomness or SW razorbaks loaded with melta angry wolfman or IG vendettas with melta vets.

What units we still have good: First and most important is the fire dragon unit: 5 melta for 80 points or 4 melta and a heavy flamer with assault in profile for 92 points. Hell yeah. Most codexes still look at us with envy for this unit in the mech environment.

So how you can do this job good?

i propose this list at 1500 points..and i let the others to build from it in the bigger point levels (yes eric that means you too )

Autarch Power weapon fusion gun 90
    Autarch Power weapon fusion gun 90

Fire dragons x 5 Exarch Dragon Flamer 92
    Wave serpent shuriken cannon 100

Dire avengers x 5 Exarch Diresword 82
    Wave serpent scatter laser 115

Dire avengers x 5 Exarch Diresword 82

Dire Avengers x 5 60

Dire Avengers x 5 60

5 melta units, 14-18 PW attacks (at S3 but still PW), 25 S6 shots, 36 bolter shots at 18 inches, 4 troops, 7 serpent bodies, 3 mobile heavy flamers.
    Is this competitive? not really but is a hard list to overcome especially when you learn how to use the serpent rush not to be a suicide run.

If i remember correctly, eric has somewhere here a S6 spam list. This is also based on the serpent and falcon hulls and is pretty brutal on medium point level (around 2000-2250 you get over 100 S6 shots per turn).

What is unfortunately for Eldar is that these changes in the new codexes change the effective builds of eldars from tricky to brutal head on list. The reason is the changes in the threat radius of the effective enemy units. I had written on this forum somewhere that anyone should consider the real model as a focus of its threat range. Imagine the battefield filled with circles of threat. if you have a single 18 inch one there is a pretty transparent zone. But when multiple such circle overlap eachother those zone become more and more coloured and you form killzones where your shooting is in enfilade position.

Older codexes had the problem of limited mobility of such zones. They could outshoot you but you could outrun them and hit weak points. Newer codexes have multiple effective builds with enough mobility to redeploy effectively.

Also Eldar codex miss a good unit with multiple >S7 shots. In fact there are only 3 units in the whole codex capable of this but none is either point wise effective or game way effective: dark reapers (EML fast shot), wraithlord (EML/BL combo), falcon (natural pulse laser+EML). All of them are extremely expensive (cheapers is at the price of 2 las plasma razorbacks).

In the end my 2 little cents is to read what eric said in the sticky thread, look for some competitive replys from me and some others in the list section. Mould them in your style of play and do your list.

PS the esteemed above poster had pointed another still very good unit. is called Eldrad Ulthran and he died and reincarnated for 1 zillion times on the battlefield. Is so cheap for what he is doing it is almost pity not to take it.
    Last edited by niraco; September 17th, 2010 at 22:39.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

@niraco
    ooohhhhh me likey your list. Just put it in my Army Builder archives. If only I had 7 Wave Serpents! (alas I only have 5).

I use Eldrad to fortune fast moving Fire Dragon transports. My opponents HATE this! Rarely do I loose the Wave Serpents while fortuned. Taking Eldrad is just 40 pts more than 2 naked Fortune Seers plus he has all of the stones and can cast a 3rd power! How about guiding those Fire Dragons too...or the Falcon. muhahahahaha
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Don't you really think, that 3 Falcons with cheap DAs, 3 Serpents with cheap FDs, two meelta Autarchs and 9 dual-cannon vypers outpace this list?

It could be called hardcore, but I like to consider lists that can have problems beating particular army builds as semi-competetive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire View Post
    Don't you really think, that 3 Falcons with cheap DAs, 3 Serpents with cheap FDs, two meelta Autarchs and 9 dual-cannon vypers outpace this list?

It could be called hardcore, but I like to consider lists that can have problems beating particular army builds as semi-competetive.
    exactly my reason.

We cannot make lists anymore that are versatile to compete with all posible lists. It will give you enough prblems for your money with the vypers mostly because you have longer reach with your falcons but you are way problematic with dire avenger placement on table (they are after all in falcons not in serpents so i can guess their road) and i can hurt your vypers with all my weapons on the table and you have weapone that cannot hurt, unless you shoot in the back, realiable my serpents.

But is a nice list. I really like it. And it has a lot of tactical potential and can beat my list having more HW firepower.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

My current full-out competitive list is probably not the absolutely cut-throat honed list, but for the little bit of specialization it sacrifices, it gains just enough versatility to put up a good fight against some of the more powerful builds from recent Codexes.

==HQ==
    Farseer - 95
    ---Doom, Runes of Warding

(Bare bones Farseer primarily in the list to shut down Mephiston, who gives Mech Eldar fits trying to deal with him and the 6+ Razorbacks Blood Angels like to field. If I didn't need to prevent Mephiston from using his psychic powers so much, I would use a second Autarch in the list in order to ensure turn 2 reserves goes as planned.)
    Yriel - 155
    (Regular Autarchs are not worth the points compared to this guy, and Yriel is my one assault unit in my whole army, and his role is to take out campers on a home objective in most games.)
    ==Troops==
    2x 9 Dire Avengers - 140[280]
    ---Exarch, Bladestorm, Dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults
    2x Wave Serpents - 110[220]
    ---Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

(These squads cripple opposing scoring units in the Eldar alpha strike we have to pull off in order to cripple the opponent's mobility and allow us our only real advantage, our speed.)
    10 Storm Guardians - 127
    ---Warlock, Destructor, 2 Flamers
    Wave Serpent - 110
    ---Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

(The "Fire Blossom" as it's commonly referred to, is a tri-template Guardian squad that excels at two things and two things only, scoring from inside the safety of its Wave Serpent, and BBQ'ing large squads of 5/6+ armor units in or outside of cover. You have to make the first turn of shooting count, because there will almost certainly not be a second round of shooting with the pathetic armor of Guardians.
    ==Elites==
    3x 6 Fire Dragons - 96[288]
    3x Wave Serpents - 125[375]
    ---Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Star Engines

(These are the bread and butter of the Eldar list, the only reason we still have a flicker of hope in the competitive gaming community, go forth and destroy anything above armor 11 with these guys, and barring that, go after very high armor save units without good invulns, such as Nobz, and Tyranid Warriors.)
    ==Heavy Support==
    2x Fire Prisms - 115[230]
    (Fire Prisms provide the only long ranged anti-tank in this list, and lays down templates for anything and everything, not taking two of these in a competitive Eldar list that does not include a Seer Council is probably a bad idea.)
    Nightspinner - 115
    (I haven't gotten a lot of games in with this unit, but so far it's proving to be a very effective weapon. It slows down Deathstar units on foot, can potentially prevent an enemy unit from reaching a game-changing objective last turn, has an insane range, and the intimidation factor that the enemy's unit could lose its leader/special/heavy weapon model on a 1/6 chance. It may not kill a lot, but it's the disruption and mind games it causes the opponent that makes it worth its points.)

Total - 1992

This list will almost never table someone, the Eldar are not capable of that at this point in time, but it will put up a very good fight against even the most modern Codexes in the hands of a very competent general.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm seeing a lot of love for cheap wave serpents and fire dragons. But what of this Seer Council build that's been mentioned a couple of times? Clearly it has some kind of Farseer/Warlock combo, but does anyone care to elaborate more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

I'd say Eldar is probably the most competitive of the 4th edition codexes, but there's still a huge gulf between our dex and the ones made for 5th edition. The latest list I've designed is similer to Fleeting Aether's, though mine substitutes Yriel and the 3rd fire dragon squad for banshees, and gives the farseer fortune in addition to doom. I haven't had the chance to use it in tournament yet because I need to buy another wave serpent, and since I've been spending a lot of money trying to get my guard army up to 1000, I'm a bit reluctant to throw more money at my eldar.

The seer council is a farseer with a group of warlocks. With fortune it's incredibly hard, and they all wound on 2+. Some people put them all on jetbikes, but this gets expensive moenywise, but a jetbike farseer with 10 jetbike warlocks has been known to win games all by itself.
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast