'Cunning" Orks, possible? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Cunning" Orks, possible?

hi there my fellow greenskins.
    first of:
    WAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*cough*
    now that that has been dealt with: my question:
    is it possible for Orks to afffiliate with on of the two gods more than the other?
    (more cunning than brutal> Mork or more Brutal than cunning> Gork)

you see, my army is forming/turning out to be a tad smarter looking than most other Ork army I know of: they use camo, have gear that makes sense and is placed logically etc.
    but while I want to keep my army fun, I also want to keep them viable fluff wise.
    so is it possible to have cunning Orks? who use ambushes,camo and that stuff or are all Orks supposed to be bashing things all the time.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this and immediately thought of Gorkamorka. I seem to recall that your mob were either Gorkers OR Morkers. Depending on your choice it would alter your stats. Gorkers would get better physical stats ie "Brutal" and Morkers would get better technial(?) stats ie. "Cunning" At least i think thats how it was?

Now I know GorkaMorka aint exactly 40k but it is the same universe? I hope its kinda relevent?

Isnt there examples of Orks in the codex using tanks from the Imperial Guard against them? Thats pretty cunning if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Kommandos and Snikrot are pretty cunning, aren't they? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with a preference or Gork or Mork though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The Blood Axes are reputed to use sneaky things like tactics, or even strategy, clearly going against the traditional orkish maxim of "Do not krump tomorrow wot yez can krump today!"

Fluff-wise, good old kunnin' is an orkish trait, every bit as much as the propensity to eat squigs or burst into violence at the drop of a hat. The average ork might not be too bright, but most of the oddboys and a good number of the bosses and nobs have an appreciation for sneaky, underhanded plans (unless they're on the wrong end of them, in which case the perpetrators are dirty, rotten cowards who can't stand up and take it like an ork!)

It's a lot harder to play kunnin' on the table, mostly because orks don't have a lot of klever plannin' stuff they can do. You could try for an army that was REALLY heavy on outflanking - Snikrot, Zagz, deffkoptas, etc. - but I dunno how effective it would be in practice.

If you want to play it up for some laughs, why not ork up some terrain? Have 'em put up cardboard cut-outs of orks saying "Shoot diz guy", or put a sign outside saying "Wimmenz 'ere", or "Boss dat way!" and a bunch of crazy arrows. No real game effect, but it'd be a good way to point to a budding Napoleork in your ranks, or maybe just an Orkgruder...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha thanks guys.
    rep for u all

and I indeed was thinking of those kinda "tricks"..
    camouflage clothes and stuff, and on terrain some stuff like those cardboard Orks :p.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if your thinking on modeling and painting or list building and strategy. Here's some cunning strategy ideas:

My first idea was to create an ork list that doesn't always have to rush forward screaming all the time. I can still do it, but now I can make strategic choices.

I've been trying out a counter strike type ork army. Half of the army is a long range shooty. (BW+Supacannon, Lootas, Lobbas) and the other half fast and sneaky (Trukks, koptas, buggies and kommandos, boyz). The shooty half deploys in a corner and the other half reserves/outflanks.

Many opponents get kind of confused by a defensive ork strategy. Then they have to come to me. That is when the rest of my army jump in and whack them. If you get Spearhead deployment your trukks can enter far up your table edge. If you play objectives you can secure your own objectives and just contest your enemies objectives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Honestly, I consider the cunning aspect to account for players actually making smart choices in battles. Without that, orks would hopelessly chase vehicles, attack the nearest thing possible, run off an objective to catch an enemy who is bugging them, etc. Their cunning quality allows for good game play to make sense, and is thus essential for the ork army to function in accordance to fluff.
    As mentioned, plenty of cunning options exist. Commandos and blood axes are the prime example. I'd personally like to see mine field rules like in city fight come back, or perhaps something akin to the old catachan rules. One of the best games ever was a big city fight where my opponent sent about 50 plague zombies through a mine field and blew up about 15 of them over two turns of slow shambling. In fact, I'd love to see some new plague zombie rules for nurgle... Zombies, now theres a unit that orks could out-cunning!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if my overall game style will be particularly cunning, as I am a 40k virgin (:p).
    so I'll probably be to busy understanding the rules etc. to do anything surprising.
    So the cunning part will, at least for a while, only refer to the fluff of my army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Haha, its OK Dying Dutchie, if ya don't got cunning, go with brutality! Throw every ork unit you have at the enemy, and you just may crush them! You'll figure out the cunnin' taktiks as you go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be playing vs Tau a lot. and running headlong in their fire-line doesn't seem like the best thing to do. :p
    so I just might have to use some sort of tactic :p something as in "they 'll cath the bullets and those guys just flank 'em" . :p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast