Dreams of the Devilnacht Hour - Terminators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Dreams of the Devilnacht Hour - Terminators

Hey

Greetings once more vile creatures of the warp. Now, these tributes to the DE were supposed to be a weekly occurrance, but I was away, so it didn't happy. Well, now it can resume, on a daily basis, to get some more motivation and discussion here in the dark side of the forum, and for all of you budding players to share your stories about the topic of the day.

And today's is all about Terminators: those collosal, hulking, one-man army individuals who make any ordinary Space Marine look like a midget, and yet surprisingly are still the same size in tabletop. Anyway, how was your success against them? Did they pick your Archon up and chokeslam him into the ground, or did you manage to capture a few to take back to Commoragh, to face Lelith in the arena? Any particular strategy that you feel worked very effectively, and do you know of any particular tactics that you should throw in your recycling bin, to be turned into new and improved ideas?

The first thing that I would observe when facing a Terminator squad, or HQ in Terminator army is to know which army I am facing that he belongs to, because each Chapter with a codex that can field Termies has subtle variations between them. These are not necessarily in statistics, but there is big difference in their weapons, and how many a player can get if they buy in bulk. If I am versing Vanilla's, then I would be more worried about the regular Terminator squad, then the Assault, as the biggest mistake who could do is charge a T squad, unless you have a really big ego, and have got some crazy thought in your head that an Incubi's helmet is indestructible... I would be picking them off one by one with some spare Dark Lance fire, or if have Disintegrators, I would be concentrating some fire there, with the Blast Template. I under no circumstances would charge them, as currently we do not have anything notable to help. A Punisher would work, but I don't fancy eating a Power Fist. To deal with the Cyclone Missile Launcher, I would be getting a Warrior squad within Rapid Fire range to take away the advantage of superior range, and utilise this squad as a distraction while Reavers come from behind with Blasters.

Against Space Wolves, it is just so much harder, as there are so many more to worry about. Personally, I would have to take the pressure of myself, by targeting the bulk of the opposing army first ( ie. everything OTHER than the Terminators ). Once the Long Fangs have been taken out by fast moving Reavers, and the Rhinos are opened like tin cans from some dark matter, and the Drop Podders are dealt with by Wyches, only then might I consider attacking the Wolf Guard. I know from playing as the Space Wolves that the Wolf Guard really take up a large chunk of my army, but they are also the most valuable, and are the unit that really puts a deep prioritization on my opponent to think quickly or die, and therefore I like to keep the counter offensive; as he attacks, I attack back, and 9/10 I will win. However, the thing Wolf Guard do not do well is target Fast Attack choices well, and so Reavers and Flat Out Raiders are the way to go.

I haven't had the pleasure of facing the Blood Angels, and so maybe other people coul give some insight into how their Termies work...

So my overall opinion of them: I think they are a great yet annoying unit to play against using the Dark Eldar, but if you can pressure them long enough, they will crack.

So, what is your opinion of them, and, as a last question to pickle your mind, how do you think we will be dealing with them in the next edition?

Good Hunting.

Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Terminators very much require the attention of an archon and incubi to kill in close combat, wyches lack the strength to turn attacks into saves to get past the mighty 2+ armour. Incubi have everything going for them as terminator killers, WS5, I5 and above all perhaps is that S4 - it enables you to consistently get wounds on a unit that hides a lot behinds its T4 in close combat.

There really is nothing else in the codex that can take them on in close combat without some serious outnumbering.

However if you are facing those pesky storm shield terminators then incubi are too valuable to send against them (in my experience the 3++ save is just too good to get past easily) and ironically wyches do alright, they care not for the difference in save (the odds aren't greatly different IMO) and they can potentially deal more attacks and with some lucky drugs and wych weapons cut down in their ability to hit you back. Wyches will still struggle to win, but they are ultimately fairly dispoable compared to 25+ point incubi.

The real solution however is to send a ravager after them, i'm a fan of "vect" style ravagers (i.e 1 lance 2 disintegrators) as it can deal a large amount of wounds but isn't entirely reliant upon scatter. for 105 - 120 points you'll have a vehicle that will consistently put wounds on the unit and those saves will go down if you pump them full of enough fire.

Ulimately though my favourite tactic is to pin them with a horrorfex off a raider - few people see it coming and it is devastating when it works and i is relatively cheap.

Generally though try not to take terminators in a 1v1 scenario, their superior armour, weapons and toughness will give them an edge.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

I wonder how much of this will be relevant come November though... I mean, if our splinterguns go under a massive change, like becoming 4+ poison assault guns, that would change how I handle termies...

Who am I kidding? I charge them, like everything else. Weigh them down under basic normal attacks and agonizer attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Currently, the way to deal with TH/SS termies is a horrorfex. Or failing that, a squad of wyches to keep them tied up and largely ineffective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

well im not really a de player as i only have enough models for a 500 point game but i have had people bring termies in their 500 point lists the TH/SS variety, the only thing that i could think to be effective was a horrorfex as archon charybdis said,, he deep struck them in and i negated his ld by 5 and he fled, lucky break i guess but it works!!! really hope they keep that gem in the new de codex coming in november

+ Reply to Thread