Why so Happy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so Happy?

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why so Happy?

AAAAARRRRRRHHH!

GW is ripping us off once again, it used to be like $50 for 16 men now its $41 for 10. So Pissed off!

I looked at the kits and there tiny! You get 1 frame(talking about DE warriors) for $41.... $41 for some plastic and then you get the "Do you need any glue or paint" (Next time im going to reply by saying 'Do you want fries with that')when ever you buy something. Or you get the staff complementing GW products are saying how cool it is, of which it is but not worth $41. Im thinking of dropping Warhammer for a while....a very long while.

Just so annoying, i started when i was 9 (7 years ago) when it $2.50 for a paint pot, a reasonable price for 12mls of good quality paint, now its $5!!! The codex's were like $30 and had very little fluff but were fine, Now you pay almost $20 for one hour of fun reading.

Which brings me back to my original topic of 'Why so Happy', i am happy that they have released a great batch of models and finally a new codex but now we have the price to pay. Also if your wondering why they only released like 5 new sets and not the other 5, well its to get more publiity and temp you with more models.

So wondering what everyone else thinks?

Do you think GW prices are reasonable?

I began in 2003 how cheap was it previously?

I've spent something like over $1,000 on GW products is it worth it?

Are GW prices set to rise? Anyone have a estimated guess?

I want to buy more games for the Xbox, upgrade our horrible internet system, put money in the bank for later in life, save up to get some wheels(1997 subaru impreza),get more games for the PC, want to get my hands on Starcraft 2.
    How does it stand with our entertaining things as above, starcraft is like $80-90 and has hundreds of hours of entertainment whilst GW makes you spend more money for less entertainment. Note that this is my opinion.

Should i stop?

This may be my last post, so plz express your opinion.

Punching Out

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

...want to get my hands on Starcraft 2
    Well for starters, there is a good money saver right there...

I am in the same boat as you. I am the same age as you, have been playing for just a little longer, and have never once, even for a minute, ever thought there was justification for the price of GW's models. Prices back then were a little more covenient for players and hobbyists, but now, what with the exponential growth of the population not corrolating with the growth in gaming, naturally a great universal company such as Games Workshop must try and squeeze every last cent out of us. We must also take into account the amount of money they pump into wide-spread publication, advertising and product endorsement as well; perhaps they are biting off more than they can chew, but from a business standard, I can understand it.

As for own personal opinion, I get my enjoyment out of seeing a finished creation. I play the tabletop game quite extensively, but I find that I get my money's worth for them (to an extent) when I can let my creative juices flow and allow for some higher level of prioritization about a particular theme, or idea. Having said that, with the re-release of the Dark Eldar, this just make me want to buy them even more. I am especially proud of my DE army currently, from all aspects of the hobby, and now I want to see where they are being taken. I like to look at the evolution of the DE as a hierarchy through the workforce. We have been stuck as a Sales Rep for quite some time now. We have not received a pay increase, and our bonuses have had serious setbacks. We have been mentioned for a higher position but it has always fallen through. Now though, our true potential is finally being realized by the big coroporate bosses, and we have been promoted to the Board of Directors, simply because it was our time to do so. We have seen the rise of the company through the ages, and now we can bring our experience right to where it matters most. I hope that makes sense, even if it is a bit vague.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that I would stick around for the time being, and see what we have in store. It looks as though the Dark Eldar are going to be one of the most popular armies to play these days, save for the Marines of course, and is going to significantly bend the game into dimensions that we are yet to comprehend. If you are surely passionate about something, such as a musical instrument, or a certain book that you just can't put down, then you will never let it go. For me, one of my passions is my army, and, even though money could start to become an issue later on in the future, I doubt I will be backing out any time soon, especially with perhaps the best re-release to appear from GW's vaults coming for US.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but I do urge you to play along, and if you don't like it, that's fine.

Good Hunting.

PS: By the way, even if you do stop, I think it would be unwise to halt your input on LO. Maybe sometime in the future, you may be persuaded to start up again, and trust me, this is the place to do that. Just some food for thought.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Then stop buying, I did. Simple solution. Once the company has devalue enough someone smarter will buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Go ahead and blame GW, but you may want to blame inflation and the rising cost of oil first. I imagine GW raises prices to avoid having to cutback or go under. I doubt they cackle to themselves thinking of how it will inconvenience you in order to pay for their private jets and yachts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Well at the end of the day, it's up to you - but nobody is forcing you to buy the new models, you can keep playing with the old ones you know When I started, I think the codex was £12 ish - now it's £17.50, and 16 years have gone past! As for the "do you need any glue?" question, you do know they have to ask that right? If they don't, they can get a disciplinary... and it's not too hard to say "No ta" is it? As for the price... well compared to that car you want, a DE army would cost next to nothing. And you'll still have your models long after the car is on the scrap heap.

Personally, I have no problem with GW. Sure they're more expensive than before, but ffs a Mars bar has gone from 20p when I was a kid, and it's now 50p. I bought my first pack of cigarettes for £1.99, now the same pack costs nearly £6! This is inflation, learn to live with it Oil is seriously more expensive so of course models have to get more expensive. And to be honest, a pack of 10 plastic models now is cheaper and better quality than a pack of 10 metal models were 15 years ago, without even taking inflation into account. I've probably spent 2-3k on GW products over my life (including some at 50% discount) and you know what? I've still got them, and still use them. And I expect me or my son will be in another 15 years, assuming I've not sold them all to build my army again from scratch as I keep being tempted with...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Gnoblars View Post
    So wondering what everyone else thinks?

Do you think GW prices are reasonable?

I began in 2003 how cheap was it previously?
    First of all, there is this thing called inflation. Money loses value. Over the time from 2003 to 2009 USD has lost about 16% of its value so what cost $50 in 2003 would cost $58.18 in 2009. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2009 and 2003, they would cost you $50 and $42.00 respectively.

Second of all, GW pricing is based on the currency of the corporate home office (UK) and main sales area (UK+EU). That is GBP and EUR. Ever after the real-estate bubble burst the USD has been pretty weak against both GBP and EUR, so you get kinda shafted there, but not due to GW. Blame Wall Street.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Gnoblars View Post
    AAAAARRRRRRHHH!

[whine whine whine]

Should i stop?
    When somebody sits there, forcing you to buy little toy soldiers at gunpoint, feel free to whine about it. Do you know how inflation works? Do you know why it costs more to produce models than it did in 2003? Do you know how running any business works? Have you heard of eBay?

Jeeez already, give it a rest.
    Last edited by Ravendove; October 7th, 2010 at 15:46.

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    First of all, there is this thing called inflation. Money loses value. Over the time from 2003 to 2009 USD has lost about 16% of its value so what cost $50 in 2003 would cost $58.18 in 2009. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2009 and 2003, they would cost you $50 and $42.00 respectively.

Second of all, GW pricing is based on the currency of the corporate home office (UK) and main sales area (UK+EU). That is GBP and EUR. Ever after the real-estate bubble burst the USD has been pretty weak against both GBP and EUR, so you get kinda shafted there, but not due to GW. Blame Wall Street.
    This +1. I was going to say that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

Additionally, it looks like you live in Oz, as such you're getting shafted for the models to begin with, and should just buy from a foreign shop that offers free shipping.

Now take a big deep breath and look at what's actually on each sprue. You are getting far more options for your $41 than for the $50 even if you are losing a half dozen bodies, stuff like Blasters and Dark Lances that you used to need to buy another blister for.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Okay, so am I crazy or just completely late to this party or something? When I go on the GW website, the ONLY thing in DE I can find for $41 is the Reavers AND in CND. The Warriors are 10 man (probably 2 sprus) for $25 USD, that seems VERY reasonable to me, considering inflation, how many more options you probably get on the sprue, and, well, how much better looking the models are in general. $25 feels like a dream come true for me.

But again, am I missing something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast