I am thinking about starting eldar by the end of this year..... What SHOULD I GET!!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking about starting eldar by the end of this year..... What SHOULD I GET!!!!

hello fellow war gamers, now to the topic. i want an eldar army that is not overly reliant on mech. i do want to use warwalkers based on what my one did using the stores models, a wrath lord is a must for me, and then mybe some rangers/pathfinder.(AP-1 on a 5-6 hit is super cool!!!) so now i need to know what else other than heavy support, like elites, troops, hq... so all comments welcome!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the rangers/pathfinders are always a good buy.

I would go with Dire Avengers over Guardians, Scorpions and Fire Dragons to start for Elites, and Banshees later. For fast attack the Warp Spiders are simply superior to swooping hawks in every respect. Heavy support can be easily had with a unit of Dark Reapers or a pair of Falcons. HQ's I have always loved are Phoenix Lord Karrandas, Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra, Eldrad Ulthran, and the Autarch. I don't usualy use the farseer, because once you spend enough points to make him good, you might as well use Eldrad.

FUTHERMORE: If you read this and decide what you want, I have over 3000 points of eldar I'm looking to get rid of, fully assembled and mostly painted. If you like, I could probably get you some of what you need for your list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Okay, Fire Dragons are a must and Bansheees are also a good buy. But be aware that Fire Dragons and Banshees MUST be given a transport otherwise they will be lucky to survive the first turn.
    If you don't want to rely on transports then the Avatar would be a good HQ as he will help stop some of your units running for the hills after a round of your oppent shooting you with the fearless special effect. A Farseer is always a good choice as well, especially since you want to field a waithlord so you can negate the effect of wraith sight.
    As eso927 said, Dire Avengers are a goood choice troops wise but there is nothing too bad about having a squad of guardians, Id advise storm guadians over regular guardians. They will let you take a warlock which again helps your wraithlords.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esol927 View Post
    For fast attack the Warp Spiders are simply superior to swooping hawks in every respect.
    I completely disagree. Swooping hawks are a great all around aspect, capable of laying down a multitude of shots but even better they are THE most mobile infantry unit in 40k (can repeatedly deep strike, are jump infantry and have fleet). You can pie plate your opponent repeatedly in the game, utterly destroying hordes and even taking on tanks if you so choose (the look on your opponents face when a bunch of birds takes out his land raider is priceless)

Warp spiders, yes they have a higher strength, but with no ap they aren't much good. Everything they shoot is still going to have a save. If they target vehicles, the only armour they possibly have a chance of destroying is av 10 (glancing 11 on a 6) unless you upgrade the exarch, in which case you get a single str 6 ap 1 shot to try and take out that tank The jumping is incredibly unreliable, with every third time you jump resulting in an AUTOMATIC loss of one of your squad members (hence never take a warp jump pack on an autarch, this applies to him as well).
    Overall swooping hawks are better all around, and for a cheaper amount of points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esol927 View Post
    For fast attack the Warp Spiders are simply superior to swooping hawks in every respect.
    I completely disagree. Swooping hawks are a great all around aspect, capable of laying down a multitude of shots but even better they are THE most mobile infantry unit in 40k (can repeatedly deep strike, are jump infantry and have fleet). You can pie plate your opponent repeatedly in the game, utterly destroying hordes and even taking on tanks if you so choose (the look on your opponents face when a bunch of birds takes out his land raider is priceless)

Warp spiders, yes they have a higher strength, but with no ap they aren't much good. Everything they shoot is still going to have a save. If they target vehicles, the only armour they possibly have a chance of destroying is av 10 (glancing 11 on a 6) unless you upgrade the exarch, in which case you get a single str 6 ap 1 shot to try and take out that tank The jumping is incredibly unreliable, with every third time you jump resulting in an AUTOMATIC loss of one of your squad members (hence never take a warp jump pack on an autarch, this applies to him as well).
    Overall swooping hawks are better all around, and for a cheaper amount of points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Don't knock the warpies until you've tried them in a game. Sure, Hawks are fleet but so what? Who do you expect them to beat in CC? Gretchin? :-) With regards to killing vehicles, yes hawks can haywire a landraider to death, but who's going to deal with the angry squad of teminators that crawl out of the wreckage in the following turn?

Warpies have never let me down, alought they have AP - the fact that I can dish 22 S6 shots with a full squad +Exarch with dual DS means a lot of saves to take and as they have 3+ armour and possibly an exarch with power weapons and high initiative they are not a walkover if they get assaulted either - assuming that you haven't already jumped back out of assault range or behind cover. I think that your stats/maths is a little wrong on the chance of losing a guy during the second jump; the chance of rolling a double is 1/12 so this should only happen every other game (statisitcally speaking). And to be honest the 1 in 12 chance of losing a guy vs the chance of withstanding a charge from an elite CC unit with no losses is one I'm normally happy to take.

Trust me, Warpspiders are great.
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/3 chance of rolling a double.

(1/6)^2 are the total possibilities of 2 dice rolls. and there are 12 different doubles you can have. So its 1/3 chance every time you jump.

And there isn't much difference at all between swooping hawks and warp spiders in cc. Yes they can have the power weapon but so can hawks. The have the same initiative. The only difference is the save (4+ as opposed to 3+), but all i'm saying is the hawks are much more VERSATILE than the spiders. For slightly less points you get a unit that is much more mobile, and has more options to use against the opponent. Yes you do get 22 str 6 shots fully upgraded. But that requires you to be within 12 inches. Meaning unless you use some nifty cover, you're going to be 19" away from your opponent on average after jumping. Well within the standard marines bolter. And if you fluff your roll (say only get a 6" or less), that's rapid fire range for the squad you just tried to kill (albeit the marines you just hit will be 6 fewer, on average)

For your 250pt unit, that's a bit too close for my liking. I will admit they are quite effective at taking down infantry, but their high cost coupled with the risky assault jump just puts them off the list for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Warp Spiders have a 1/6 chance of losing a guy on their second jump. On 2D6 there are 36 possible outcomes, 6 of which are doubles. 6/36 = 1/6. What are the 12 doubles you're thinking of? There are only 6 results on one die, so there can only be 6 doubles.

In My opinion Warp Spiders >>>> Swooping Hawks. If you're looking for an all around aspect, take Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent. Roughly the same point cost, much tougher thanks to the transport, and most importantly it can take objectives. It puts out the same number of shots (at S4) with the possibility for much more whith bladestorm. As for tanks, give the wave serpent a missile launcher. Haywire grenades will most likely just maim a tank.
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Thanks for the correction kaiser. Don't know what I was on there :-)
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off Swooping Hawks overpriced junk unit, there gun is an eldar version of Guard's flashlights, haywire grenades have been enough to be next to useless and in the metagame players always move their vehicles so you roll to hit them if your in CC, low armor save, there large pie plate drop is to weak to be of any real use. Basically the best way to use them is to sit them in cover and pick people off from a distance which is just wrong for fast attacks.

Warp Spiders yes everyone is going get a an armor save from there gun but when fire 22 shots and almost all of those that hit will wound, you realize that armor save isn't that useful against large amount of shots.

@riman1212 I suggest not use rangers/ pathfinders that much since they are very costly troop choice and don't perform that well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast