Just did Apocalypse for the first time (long post) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Just did Apocalypse for the first time (long post)

My local store did an apocalypse mega battle today. I had never done apocalypse before (my group is mainly the competitve sort, so our games are usually getting armies ready for tournaments and such, so we rarely do any of the expansions), so I thought this would be a good chance to just have some fun. When I got there we divided into teams. There were 4 eldar players, so we all ended up on the same team, along with a tau player. Our enemies were Chaos, Chaos Demons, Tyranids, Imperial Guard, and Space Marines.

Each player got 2000 points for a total of 10,000 per side. My original intent was to take the Phoenix Court of Khaine (I had even repainted my Avatar and painted up all 6 Phoenix Lords for it, as I had never gotten around to them since I almost never use them, once again I almost strictly do tournies). Unfortunately, one of the other eldar players was running the Phoenix Court and couldn't be swayed from it (I even tried pulling the "comeon mine is entirely painted and your isn't card, but no avail). I reasoned that in the spirit of fun that it'd be pretty dumb if we had 2 of them, so I instead opted for the Aspect Assault Wave.

My Army Consisted of 2 squads of 10 Dire Avengers with Bladestorm, 10 Howling Banshees with Acrobat, 10 Striking Scorpions with Stalker, and 10 Fire Dragons with Tank Hunters (The formation requires full squads with exarchs in wave serpents, otherwise I'd never take 10 fire dragons in one squad, but hey, spirit of fun right? I could get used to that). They were all mounted in wave serpents with Spirit Stones, Shuriken Cannons, and Star Engines. For my autarch (also required by the formation) I took Prince Yriel and stuck him with the banshees. To finish off my points, I took Eldrad and the Avatar and marched them with the Phoenix Court of Khaine. So what if my Avatar wasn't gonna be super-badass like the other player's, I repainted him specially for this, so I was gonna take him!

The Tau Army had some hammerheads and suits of all sorts. He had a few formations but can't remember what they were. The other 2 eldar players mostly did just standard 40k armies, but were using the fact that there was no chart to follow and thus had things like 3 hqs and whatnot. One was a new player all on foot, so we told him to take the flank march strategem. I took Eldritch Tempest, another player took Ambush, The Phoenix Court player took vortex grenade, and I can't remember what the Tau player's was. I don't know if he ever even used it.

Imperial guard had 2 baneblade variants, a deathstrike missile, and several russ variants, Nids had a Bio-titan with 10 wounds and toughness 9, And the other armies were fairly standard, though again making use of the lack of a force chart to follow. There was a keeper of secrets, a lord of change, epidemius Fabius Bile, A Khorne Lord with Demon Weapon, Abadon, a nurgle DP, and Pedro with Sternguard and a bunch of drop pods. Pedro was also carrying a vortex grenade, but I'm not sure what their other strategems were offhand.

I expected to take heavy casualties. I wasn't wrong. My job was just kind of "damn the tactics, just go straight at them. Thanks to the formations rule that all serpents within 6"of the command tank get upgraded energy shields, combined with some cover saves, I was able to survive pretty well until the biotitan assaulted my command tank and destroyed it. My dragons did not so great and only caused 2 structure points of damage to a baneblade and were destroyed. The Biotitan was down to 5 wounds, when I charged yriel into it, figuring I could at least shave some more wounds off it, which I considered to be worth the 155 point model. Unfortunately I didn;t realize that even though the rules for the monster were under the 4th edition codex, we were updating everything to the 5th edition rules, so he had a 3+ invul and his lash whips made me initiative 1. Whoops. Against the odds I made an incredible number of invul saves and tied it up, but caused no damage in return.

Next turn the biotitan squished Yriel predictably, but he was then hit by a vortex grenade and killed. Meanwhil my scorps made it to the enemy stronghold and butchered a squad of devestators, while my DAs were relegated to objective camping when their rides were wrecked. They just bladestormed anything that got too close. The banshees tried assaulting a group of chaos lords and while they inflcted several wounds, were all killed but left Fabius and the Khorne Lord with one wound. The flank march did it's job and killed the deathstrike missile and one of the baneblades on turn 2, as well as giving us a very good reply to several deep striking demon squads with bladestorming DAs and war walkers.

By the end of turn 3 we were essentially doing mop up duty. By the end of turn 4 they were down to a couple maimed demon squads and a few rhinos. My avatar got in amongst the russes and started exploding tanks left and right, and by the end of turn 5 there would have been nothing of theirs left on the table. Both my aspect assault wave and the phoenix court of khain endured tremendous punishment, which enabled our allies to go forward virtually unscathed. I didn't end up earning my points back I don't think, but my serpents drew incredible amounts of fire in the opening turns, and my DAs defended an objective with gusto. Oh yeah, and on turn 1 I dropped eldritch tempest, slaughtering an assault marine squad, killing a rhino and pinning the squad inside, and wounding a demon prince. Not bad!

So all in all, a very fun day of warhammer. Sorry I can't be more detailed, but I was mostly concerned with my own minis, since stuff was happening all over the table, I couldn't be sure what was going on everywhere since we were all doing our stuff at once. I'm definitely gonna recommend doing Apocalypse with our gaming group instead of standard team games next time our entire group gets together (much more rare now that people are getting jobs in other states and such). We've always had balance issues when we do team games since there's a lot of disparity in skill level, but I think the formations and legendary units and strategems could be a good equalizer.

The enemy's gate is down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Congrats on your first apoc game! I've played a few now and think they are awesome. The biggest was about 50k points each side and included loads of super heavies. If you think that you'll be playing this more often you should invest in some of the forgeworld goodies. Can't beat a cobra throwing around 10" destroyer templates. I've played against folk that weren't aware of the destroyer rules so were a little surprised when I say "any invun saves under this", "no" says my opponent, "well sorry but i'm afraid they are all dead then". And when that is nearly 30 models with one shot even you have to feel for the guy. When I play full apoc I can throw out 9 destroyer shots a turn which is very messy.

Once you get the apoc bug going back to 1500pt games feels really small, what do you mean I can't max out all war gear?

Glad to hear you had fun and that the aspect wave worked out. I intend to use one soon and am toying with putting fortune seers in them as well. 4+ reroll cover saves with the enhanced energy field should take some bringing down.
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Chiming in to point out that Destroyer weapons do, in fact, allow invul saves. It's Vortex weapons that don't.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Great game seems you had. Now next time bring PICTURES

next saturday ihave my apoc which make the baptize of fire for my titan. 7000 points of eldars helped by 5000 points of SM will go head to head to 12000-13000 points of IG, CSM and demons

I`ll face a chaos titan, 1 baneblade, 1 stormlord and a huge amount of enemy creepy infantry, tanks and APC`s.
    I`ll use an Aspect assault wave, Great Court of young King, Coudstrike Squadron, Shadow Walker, Spirit Host plus many many other units.....Will be nice i think...
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Chiming in to point out that Destroyer weapons do, in fact, allow invul saves. It's Vortex weapons that don't.
    Read what I wrote more carefully - I didn't say they did :-)

@Niraco - What titan are you fielding?
    -------------------

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

Revenant with pulsars...see in my signature the link to my painting thread...at the end i have several pictures with it on last stages of painting...i`ll make some new pictures on saturday with him almost done (base to finish and purity seal to apply in several layers- all painting is done)
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Nice one! gota love the Rev Titan. Pics of mine at http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...shed-pics.html

I've just bought the version with the sonic lances, not as good in game terms, but I wanted to get both of them.

Hey Der_Kaiser, are we whetting your appetite for some big guns?
    -------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Man Daziel that titan looks awesome! Not suprised though, all the stuff in your other topic looks excellent.

I really considered bringing my camera, but eventually I just left it home cause I didn't know if the other players would have a problem with me slowing down the game (plus I was worried about leaving it at the store, that would hae sucked), but it turns out I shouldn't have been worried, 3 other players and the game organizer were all taking pics. I asked the game organizer if I could get some copies, but I'm not sure when that'll be, they still haven't put the pics from May's Rogue Trader on their website. I was really wishing I had pics during the write up though, would have been much less wordy.

As far as getting Apocalypse stuff, I'll have to see how my group reacts to it. Or if the store plans on doing more of them. Right now I just can't justify shelling out the money for a revenant titan (even though it looks awesome) if I'm not entirely certain I'll use it that often. I had a lot of fun, but Apocalypse takes planning, so whether we do it depends a lot on other people, sadly. I might buy a couple vortex grenade templates though, just in case, that way we can be sure that there'll be a template for both when they are both on the table (hard to tell the difference between a blast marker representing a vortex grenade and a blast marker that's just sitting there). Plus I think I could use them to represent DE webway portals, which I am considering starting (Even if I did just start a guard army in May).

That said though, I would love to have an excuse (and the funds, can't forget that) to buy a revanent titan. That would be so cool!
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Excellent - I love it when more people start to fall to the lure of ForgeWorld. If normal GW stuff is hobby crack then ForgeWorld is the connoisseur designer class drug of choice for those that no longer wish to be able eat or pay rent.

Apparently the Phantom Titan will be released before the end of the year and I've already told my wife that this looks like my Christmas present - given it's size and the cost of the Reaver, I'm thinking it's in the 500 GBP range. Ouch.

Oh, and thanks for the comments on my Rev.
    -------------------

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I've yet to have as much fun gaming as the first apoc game we played - so many models one team used their entire half hour deployment setting up a gretchin skirmish line
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast