New To Dark Eldar - Looking For Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New To Dark Eldar - Looking For Advice

Hi All,

Looking into playing some Dark Eldar as with new release and some models lieing around i could prob make an army, but just want to know what should i be focusing on. I know the transports are open topped allowing to shoot and assault a unit (which rocks).

I have a Marine Raven Guard Army so am very much in the mind set of surgical strikes and using fleet to my advantage (Shrike rocks).

I was looking mainly for a mobile force that gets stuck in and would like suggestions on how to kit it out.

I know this is probably more of a Army list request, but just want ideas. Have a few 4 Raiders, 7 Reavers and 3 Ravagers. Around 60 warriors, 20 wyches and some other random models that I have yet to identify (think hameonculi).

The marine codex is fairly straight forward but am finding the Dark Eldar (with all the upgrades and stuff) a bit hard to follow.

So advice welcome on a strike force style army, mainly against mech Imperial Guard, eldar, space wolves and a nasty biker/nobz ork army.

I am not asking for all the answers, just a point in the right direction.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the current codex, there are some really good tacticas stickied at the top of the DE forum page here. They really helped me get started when I was new at Dark Eldar. Personally, I think the most effective and efficient build is Dark Lance/Raider spam. It's fun to play, it's effective against killing most things, and it's super fast. I won't really go into details because the tacticas can explain it far better than me.

However, I think Dark Lance spam is going to die with the new codex. There are too many other good choices. With all the splinter weapons being poisoned, I think Splinter Cannons will be the most popular heavy weapon choice for warrior squads and trueborn squads (because they are SOOOOO good). Also, with Wyches becoming troop choices, I can see Wych themed armies being popular too. The introduction of the Heat Lance (melta lance weapon) is a good one too and I can see people equiping their scourges and jetbikes with them for some decent anti-tank. With the introduction of the Razorwing Fighter and the Voidraven Bomber, I don't see Ravagers getting played very often unless the fighter and bomber are disgustingly expensive. I got a pretty good look through the codex, but I didn't get a chance to look at all the point values. The new Power Through Pain ability is great too and the Haemonculi (especially Urien Rakarth) seem to abuse it nicely. I think a Haemonculi army using Wracks and Grotesques and Webway portals will be a nice army to run that's different from your standard Dark Eldar.

I don't really want to tell you what to do because I don't want to impose my playstyle on you. However, I'll tell you what I do (or would do when the new codex comes out) and you can take what you want from it. Basically, Wyches and Incubi are great in close combat. This applies to both new and old codecies, however, Incubi have fleet in the new codex and they are elite choices, not HQ retinue. Warriors are very shooty and when the new codex comes out, the poisoned splinter weapons will make their shootyness better. Reaver Jetbikes are the only real good fast attack in the current codex, but when the new one comes out, everything looks like it will be fun. Scourges are way better and Hellions can pull enemy ICs out of a unit when making a hit and run attack. Also, Scourges and Jetbikes can be kitted out to be decent anti-tank or anti-infantry. Heavy support has most of your anti-tank in the new codex. Voidlances will make your opponents cry and once you pop open any transports, the missles will make the infantry inside them cry. However, in the current codex, stick to Ravagers with 3 Dissintigrators. Abuse the Dissintigrators as much as you can while the old codex is still in effect because once the new codex is out, Dissintigrators are going to suck.

I hope this helped a bit and I hope you have as much fun as I'm having with the Dark Eldar.

Will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as there is a new codex comming out next month, I would strongly recommend waiting until it's release. Then you can go to your local gaming store, page through it, get some ideas as to if its really an army you want to play.

Also, asking people about tactics regarding the new codex are purely speculative. Traditionally Dark Eldar have been extremely fast, hard hitting, and fragile. There are a lot of new factors comming into play, and no one really knows how its going to play out.

If you have any local DE players I'd suggest watching them after the codex is out ;3

+ Reply to Thread