Wound allocation shenanigans... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wound allocation shenanigans...

Hiya,

the recent post on warp beasts got me thinking, there are a lot of instances in the new codex where wound allocation matters almost by default. Up until now i have never really thought about wound allocation at all.

for instance if you have three grotesques, one upgraded, liquifier, and a haemy with them: that makes 4 models with different setup and majority toughness 5, FnP .... yeah they are no nob-bikers, but thats still seems like a decent aggressive WWP delivery system.

Then there is the Court of the Archon...
    this brings me straight to the question i wanted to ask:

Since the court is a bodyguard unit dose that mean that the Archon can not be targeted individually in CC? Or are IC's always singled out?

...im done ranting. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

I haven't seen the new codex yet, but BRB p48 states that if your codex allows you to field a character together with a special unit that they cannot leave during the game, then they count as an upgrade character until all other members of that unit are killed (in which case he/she begins counting as an IC).

So, if the Court of the Archon fits that description, then it would seem that no he cannot be picked out in CC because he counts as an upgrade character and not an IC.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i looked it over quickly after reading your post and its a bit strange in the codex.

I didnt notice it saying anywhere specificaly that the archon has to join the court....
    all i found was a blurb similar to the current codex's warp beast entry: For every archon you can take a court (dosent count for FOC slot)

so you could have the court....or even two of them but have the archons frolic around on their own.....

anyways, rep for you once i figure out how.
    Edit: done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    Then there is the Court of the Archon...
    this brings me straight to the question i wanted to ask:

Since the court is a bodyguard unit dose that mean that the Archon can not be targeted individually in CC? Or are IC's always singled out?
    The court is not a retinue for the Archon tho, so he can be singled out if he is in the unit. The wording for the court is the same as the Space marine and blood angel honor guard/command squad in that if you take X as your HQ you can get this unit.
    Edit - never mind, you came to the same conclusion while I was typing my reply...
    Last edited by zannal; October 25th, 2010 at 22:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks anyway.
    +rep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Wound allocation tricks will be most useful with mixed beast units, but a unit of 4 Grots (1 aberration, 1 liquifier) with a Haemie and Archon would still be able to use it to some degree. Although I think It'd be a waste to think of them as a portal delivery system instead of a fully capable assault unit.

With the new rules portals are gonna be most useful if you drop them first turn. The best delivery system I can think of is to deploy a haemie with a fire support squad in their raider/venom, then have the squad get out before movement leaving the haemie inside. Then move the raider up 12", disembark 2", and put the portal infront of him for another 3". Now your reserves can come on 2nd turn 17" up the board from where you deployed, although it leaves the raider and haemie out in the open.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Here's a little trick I've seen used. When assaulting, move the bodyguard first into base contact then the attached Archon. As long as one of the body guard is closest to the enemy unit, this is legal. Ensure that the Archon is not in base contact but still w/in 2" so he can contribute his full attacks.
    Thus since no enemy in in base contact with the IC, they cannot single him out.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

that doesn't quite work. Since the Archon is an Independent Character he needs to be in base contact or he doesn't get to make any attacks.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    Here's a little trick I've seen used. When assaulting, move the bodyguard first into base contact then the attached Archon. As long as one of the body guard is closest to the enemy unit, this is legal. Ensure that the Archon is not in base contact but still w/in 2" so he can contribute his full attacks.
    Thus since no enemy in in base contact with the IC, they cannot single him out.
    The Court of the Archon is not a retinue/bodyguard, the Archon is still governed by the rules for IC's in close combat which means he must be in b2b if he wants to attack and must be the first one moved.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks View Post
    that doesn't quite work. Since the Archon is an Independent Character he needs to be in base contact or he doesn't get to make any attacks.
    Ahh, indeed! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I recently saw an Ork player do this, and thought it was a tricky tactic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast