Tau Colour Scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau Colour Scheme

I am just starting to get into the Warhammer hobby and I've decided to collect Tau. I'm in the process of getting my models and materials together and I'm trying to decide on a colour scheme.

I just wanted to get this forum's thoughts on the matter. The scheme I have in my head is (using Citadel colours) is Bleached Bone, Snot Green, and Calthan Brown as the major colours, and Blazing Orange as the Sept colour.

The Calthan Brown would be mostly for the cloth on infantry, and Bleached Bone and Snot Green would be the armour colours. For Fire Warriors specifically, I'm thinking of a roughly symmetrical colour distribution, with Bleached Bone on the right-side armour, and Snot Green on the body and left-side armour. The hands and base of the feet would be Chaos Black.

I'm planning to undercoat with Chaos Black spray and then basecoat the Bleached Bone sections with Dheneb Stone and the Snot Green sections with Knarloc Green, then work up to the main colours. I'm going to use Badab Black and Devlan Mud washes for shading, and for highlights I'm just going to mix some of the colour being highlighted with Bleached Bone or Skull White.

Does anyone have some constructive criticism for this scheme?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White, Green, Brown, and Orange...

Personaly I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

The best thing to do is to paint a model and see how you like it, and if able post a pic of it.
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a rough idea of what I'm thinking about, done up using a Tau FW Painter application I found. The orange would be very minimal, and the brown is mostly just for cloth, so consider the green and white to be the main colours.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

I would simplify your scheme. Too many colours on a mini just looks messy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about if I took out the orange and just made the white or green the Sept colour? I just tossed the orange in there because I figured I needed a separate Sept colour that wasn't used as much as either of those are.

I'd like to keep the look and distribution of the white and green in the generated image, but I suppose I don't know how well that will translate to the mini. I've seen a colour scheme though that had a distribution like this for orange and white instead of green and white, and it looked quite good.
    Last edited by stigweard; October 26th, 2010 at 20:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi could you post a link to this painting application?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Paterson View Post
    Hi could you post a link to this painting application?
    I'm not sure if this is the one that stigweard used (because I could see any picture or link in his message) but when I was working out my paint scheme, I used the one at Bolter and Chainsword: Fire Warrior Painter.

If you want to use colour values that match up to Citadel paints, they also have a handy chart giving the RGB values for the paints:GWColors.pdf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, that's the same one I used, Shas'El Bez'za.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I've revised the layout of the colours a bit, and I've done up four slightly different schemes. From left to right the greens are Dark Angel, Knarloc, Scorpion, and Snot.

Personally, I think I like the Dark Angel and Knarloc fire warriors the most, leaning more towards Knarloc.

Any opinions? Does this look ok, or would a more singular colour scheme work better?

+ Reply to Thread