Marker drones in pathfinder squad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Marker drones in pathfinder squad?

I thought about it...but at 70 points for a pair...if there weren't a cap of 8 squad members, it would be FAR more points-efficient to just get more pathfinders. But the cap of 8 pathfinders per squad does exist. And you do have to buy a fish for every squad. And you should probably be using the other two fast attack slots for pirhanas (if you are, then you don't even have the option of taking another pathfinder unit).

So, what do you think? If you've got a full eight pathfinders (you should anyway...and a networked markerlight makes more sense the more squad members can benefit), does it make more sense to get another squad of pathfinders at higher expense (obviously for greater benefit, not least the fact that you're "lighting up" two targets!) and at the cost of an additional fast attack slot, or get two marker drones for the existing squad? Or is it all moot because 8 BS3 markerlights is already producing more than enough marker light counters?

Is there a better way to spend 70 points? I can see maybe a crisis suit, if you have room for one. I can see maybe a pirhana, again, if you have room (you should have room, but the practical limit on pirhana squadron size is below the legal limit!) Those are the two real options that I can see for a competing way to spend 70 points...

If you are going to take two networked markerlights on a unit, is there a better unit to attach them to? Broadsides, maybe? I have a stealth team with a pair of marker drones, and it's certainly been a boost to the unit. Honestly, outside of railguns and the burst cannon spam that is stealth teams, I can't see networked markerlights being useful to anyone but pathfinders...to me, it's only worthwhile at that points cost if it's shared with the whole army, supports a ridiculous number of shots, or supports can't-afford-to-miss-because-I-have-so-few-and-they're-critical shots.

IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not cost effective, but 3 stealth suits with 2drones a piece, you get 6 mobile stealthed NML's with JSJ capability.
    But at 270pts/team its too costly for low-moderate points games, also all of your elite slots should be XV8's and pathfinder's work better cost wise.

Unless your playing a 3k point game with the intent on taking farsight this is a rare if not poor decision.
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Networked Markerlights belong on Skyrays.

*shrug*

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Why not just take more units of path finders. A lot of players use two unit of path finders and simply use the devil fish for their fire warriors. Paying so many points for the drone to me just doesn’t make sense.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

There are far better ways to spend 70 pts. 10 Kroot will be more useful than two markerlight drones in a pathfinder squad.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

That was kind of what I was thinking...Does that mean that 8 are enough? Is there a better way to get more, assuming that I have pirhanas in my other two FA slots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another unit is far better, really u hardly ever want more than 2-4 markers on any single unit, a large unit of markers will just result with unused exess markers, i usualy take 2 sqds of 4-6 pathfinders and can distribute my markers far more efficiently

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Hmm...well, I'm not willing to cram my pirhana into a single squadron, so another unit of PF is out. I am thinking about other options, though...the obligatory 6-man fire warrior squad is one...I could put one markerlight there...I could also take a stealth team with drone controllers for a really scalable (0-12!) number of stealthed JSJ marker drones...that's potentially really expensive, and it costs me a third of my crisis suits...It'd sure be nice if there were a special character who unlocks stealth suits as troops choices (erm, shadowsun? That would be a change to her that would make her worth taking!), but the markerlights would be able to infiltrate, would be able to fire on the move, and would be a LOT more survivable. Actually, if I did go with a decently large stealth team with marker drones, that would eliminate the need for pathfinders, allowing three squadrons of pirhana and eliminating the vulnerability of having a super soft, super static, high priority target to protect. Hmmmm.... I don't know, I'll probably put an extra light on the fire warriors for a total of nine, and leave the rest alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have u considered Sniper teams, each has 1 marker on a 3+ rather than 4+ and can get 3 for 1 heavy choice.

When i play marines i like to take 2-3 teams of these guys, stack em with some other markers and u have an almost guaranteed marine killer/pinner

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    That was kind of what I was thinking...Does that mean that 8 are enough? Is there a better way to get more, assuming that I have pirhanas in my other two FA slots?
    Eight is indeed enough. If your list is large enough, say 2000 pts, then it can sometimes be useful to take two pathfinder teams of 5-6 models each. But even then, a single pathfinder unit of 6-8 models is going to be sufficient for your needs.

Don't mistake pathfinders for actual offense. They are force multipliers only. You need actual force before you can afford to go nuts on force multipliers.

Rather than throwing away points on more markerlights scattered throughout the army, take better weapons on your crisis suits, or spring for a few extra upgrades on your vehicles like smart missile systems and multitrackers. That is to say, on more offensive options, more actual force in your army.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast