Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So I just got my new codex and I have begun plotting my evil strategy and I came up with two things I really haven't seen people talk about.
1) Building the archon with the blast pistol and close combat weapon will be my new default. When choosing my archon I typically say to myself how can I give the maximize flexibility while achieving cost effectiveness. In this codex we have been given a gift called the blast pistol. The thing that makes this amazing is its a S8 pistol (Yeah for Double Toughing T4) and AP2 so only invulnerable saves are allowed. Second since it has S8 and its a lance then assaulting a vehicle with our Archon is a real possibility. Take for example the mighty leman russ demolisher. With the assault using Rear armour AP11 our Archon gets 6 attacks (4 normal + 1 for 2 CC + 1 for assault). As if this wasn't good enough because we have a BS of 7 we can reroll misses when shooting our pistol. Am I missing anything here because this will be my default setup with the clone field so when I explode the vehicle I simply ignore the wound?
2) Reaver Jetbikes and Haemonculi- So my default plan is to start the game with the Haemi within 2 inches of deployment of the jetbikes. I first share the pain and give my jetbikes the pain token so now they default to feel no pain. Next I turbo boost the bikes 36 inches to go "ramming speed" on enemy infantry.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I find in the new codex turbo boosting does not prevent you from shooting or assaulting the following turn.
Then I have a choice:
A- Shoot my splinter rifles and move 6 inches in the assault phase for being an eldar jetbike
B- or Assault any unit within 6 inches. Remember since we didn't shoot we can actually attack another unit. So my opponents general infantry is merely a speed bump in my 42 inch reach of a heavy weapons squad that I will be assaulting. Since my bikes come with a pistol and CC weapon thats gives an I6 with 3 attacks of the assault.
In addition, I will be likely giving the Haemonculi a hexrifle to so he can try to pin units 36 inches away that are going to try and shoot up my jetbikes.
BRB p76 under turbo-boosters:
controlling their bikes at such speeds takes all their concentration and skill, however, so they cannot move through difficult terrain, shoot, launch assaults or execute any other voluntary action in the same turn.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!
good catch on the turbo booster. I completely forgot about that portion. I'm suprised its not in the DE rulebook like it used to be.
Torden is correct. You cannot assault or shoot in the same turn you turbo-boost. However, Reavers have Bladevanes which allow you to inflict hits on an unengaged, non-vehicle enemy unit that was passed over while turbo-boosting.
Since you cant turbo boost and shoot/assault here are some tactics for jetbikes you might want to consider.
Jetbikes are best taken in multiples of 3 with a cluster caltrop and a heat lance. This gives them a huge deal of flexibility.
1) Turbo 36" to contest objectives
2) Pick up killpoints from small weak (or depleted units) that thought they were safe
3) Use their speed to block other units, thety can show up where your opponent doesnt expect them and he has to stay 1" away.
4) Threaten vehicles with the heat lance
In my last game with them I turboboosted to pick up a kill point (and pain point) against a squad of enemy 3 wytches after 7 had died in an exploding raider, then sent them 34" back and had them block my warriors from being assaulted by another squad of wytches, giving me enough time to load up in the raider and get out of there. Their 3+ cover and FnP stopped any from dying to shooting, although all 4 agonisor shots hit and wounded my poor jetbikes.
So they not only gave me a kill point, they stopped a multi charge that would have made the game 6-5 for me with an immobilised ravager too close to haywire equipped wytches for comfort. Instead I lost the jetbikes and ravager while my raider squads fled making it 6-5 for me at the end of turn 5.
The Emperor Protects
IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11
Given that people love their tanks I like to keep my jetbikes in reserve, and bring them in where I can get the most out of them. The trick is to not over expose them until they gain a painpoint. I have new respect for the heatlances tho. Last game they turboed on close to a squadron of bassilisks, then took them out, then proceeded to move up the IG flank in support of the incubi.
I like to run 6 RJB, 1 caltrop, 2 heatlances and a champ with PW (incase of the +1 str drug etc..) Unit comes in at 196pts IMO a good supporting unit in the kabal that I run.
Response to the OP:
1) I'm not sure, but it seems like maybe you think the Archon can use the blast pistol's profile when making close combat attacks. This is not true. He will be striking at his normal strength. If you need the rule for this, check the rules for pistols in the BRB. But the blast pistol is a good choice regardless, just for the shooting phase.
2) This one is well covered by the folks above.
--•-My 40K projects-•--
Krovin looks like your spot on about pistols. PG 42 under normal close combat weapons states pilstols count as normal close combat weapons and so the strength and AP of the pistol are ignored.
I guess no one shoots there gun in CC. They are only pistol whipping.
so much for that idea.
When you come up on he vehicle, merely shoot it with the blaster first. Works just as good as assaulting it would.
That would be my trick with me SM scout army. Swoop in behind the tank in the Landspeeder storm and dismount. Fire the Sgt.'s Combi-melta, or use his Meltabombs. If that doesn't work, I can assault it with the Powerfist.
I gotta a funky question related to the blaster pistol of the Archon - I am not sure but my mind is in a knot so help me...
The Archon has two lists, the first list with the blaster in it says something like, "may trade his ccw and/or pistol for", so this is where I get tangled up:
The Archon can trade his ccw or pistol (your choice) for a blaster for example (and thus keeps the other).
The Archon can trade his ccw and pistol for a blaster and thus has only the blaster from this list.
What allows me to take 2 items from this particular list? I am not seeing how I get to trade both for 2 items on the list?
I am going nuts here!!!
Brain fart I think...
Last edited by KwiKwag; November 9th, 2010 at 17:23.
"On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]