Razorwing Jetfighter seems too good to be true - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Razorwing Jetfighter seems too good to be true

For a decent amount of points you get a vehicle with 4 missiles, 2 dark lances, and a twin linked splinter rifle that can fire everything while moving 0-12 inches. Assuming I purchase the Splinter Cannon Upgrade, here's what I'm wondering.

On turn 1 you can fire all 4 monoscythe missiles (Large templates) as well as the lances & splinter cannon. Am I missing something here because this seems just to good to be true?

If so that's an instant kill of enemy infantry unit on T1. Then from that point on I'm going hunting with 2 dark lances and a splinter cannon.

Wowzers enemies beware because I'm taking 3!

Last edited by mrvegas; November 7th, 2010 at 15:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

First you need to remove your reference to specific upgrade costs...

Do to the armor 10 you can expect you will only survive a sinlge turn of shooting (turn 1 if you you go first, or if you reserve it the turn it comes in). Of course anyone playing dark eldar cannot be playing expecting to win through attrition and survival, but rather on speed and numbers.

The fighter will be nice when you play against a lot of armies with high infantry model counts.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've tested it out twice. Once it did poorly through my own bad play. The other time it blew its entire load on the first turn and wiped out an entire Longfang squad in cover. I <3 the Razorwing Jetfighter.
    League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I ran 3 razorwings versus a mech marine player in a test game the razorwings did their job - the absolutely annihilated a bunch of marines that walked on (dawn of war). Wiping out 15 or so marines from 2 razorwings is about even given their cost.

The voidraven is far and above more versatile in the long run due to the AV11 (you would seriously be surprised what a difference it makes) but the razorwing is an excellent support vehicle - I think it suits mobile armies (im looking at you, wych cults and hellion lists) best whereas warriors probably get more mileage from ravagers.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; November 7th, 2010 at 19:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I like the razorwing because the 4missiles really put the hurt on any hordes. the only thing is that you have to be very carefull with placement... and usage. Both games it came on and then died next shooting phase. If you do use one, I would recommend keeping it in reserve and then striking something hard when it arrives.

Personally tho, I really still like the ravagers and I have not tested the void ravens.
    Podcast and Blog
    Youtube Channel
    Twitt-errr... @ Skari2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Razorwing vs Voidraven

I appreciate the comments, especially from real game-play.
    However I think the Razoringwing trumps voidraven because of the cost for most games under 1500 points. Here's what I'm thinking.

Option 1- Razorwing with 4 monoscythe missles, flickerfield, and splinter cannon upgrade. Advantages: lower costs (especially if your fielding 3) and I believe the splinter cannon trumps the void mine since I really don't want these anywhere near my enemy.

Option 2- Voidraven with 4 shatterfield missles and flickerfield. Advantages: void lance are > dark lances, better armour, and shatterfield missle trumps monoscythe missle.

Sure the razorwing could upgrade its missles but I'm trying to keep point costs at a minimum. Overall the big question is who will be more likely to kill his own point costs. And if I'm fielding 3 voidravens is it worth the cost of 3 razorwings and 1 other unit of choice. My guess is if the game is under 1500 points then Razorwing wins; otherwise Voidraven all the way.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mrvegas View Post
    However I think the Razoringwing trumps voidraven because of the cost for most games under 1500 points. Here's what I'm thinking.
    I think your overall assesment is spot on - though the ravager is still probably the most cost effective heavy support if your army is warrior heavy (as they deal with infantry superbly) - the more you move away from a good 30+ warriors at 1500 the more the razorwing and voidraven matter.

Hmm, if I were to play planetstrike (as the attacker) i'd take voidravens without a doubt as you could pump out some truly horrendous amounts of fire in a single turn.

jboweruk

For my 2 pennies worth I'd say the necrotoxin missiles are the best, looking at stats, they have the most chance to dish out some hefty pain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

The razorwing with dissies makes for good AI. You get the 4 missiles, 6 poison shots, and a further 6 shots that don't allow armor saves.

Necrotoxin is great because of pinning and you can also wound Monstrous creatures that might be near the hoard you're trying to wipe from existence. But adding 20 points may not be worth it. On the other hand can you buy just one necrotoxin? One wound from it makes the pin test.

The voidraven is nice but you pay a premium for payloads. AV11 and S9 lance is sweet. I'll most likely convert one and test it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I would love to get some void lances in my list as well, but I think that the cost vs. utility of the razorwing just cant be beat.

I wish the Bomber had some other bomb options, like maybe some large blast bombs, or at the very least come with missiles standard. I find it weird that the bomber is the one that has to pay for any missiles at all and the jetfighter is the one that comes with the awesome stuff at base cost.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; June 20th, 2011 at 04:02.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast