Warrior squad in White Dwarf....am I missing something? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warrior squad in White Dwarf....am I missing something?

I'm surprised no one has brought this up, but seeing as the dex and WD issue have only been out for a short amount of time, it's somewhat understandable. However, while list building I keep running into the issue of fielding a raider squad of 9x warriors with an IC, and they're not able to have a heavy weapon i.e. splinter cannon or dark lance, since the squad numbers only 9 in order to include the IC. Example: Duke Sliscus, Haemi, and Archon would be nice to start off with warriors in a raider, yet this would deprive them of that oh-so special SC or DL.

Yet, in the white dwarf battle report, Phil clearly runs a unit of 9 warriors and an Archon in a raider at the start of the game, and albeit, the warriors have a splinter cannon and a blaster!

Is it that all of us have been interpreting the codex wrong and you can include a heavy weapon for each increment of 10 warriors? Or does starting the squad off with the Archon bring their numbers up to 10, so that is legal to give them the splinter cannon?

Disclaimer: This poster is a product of the American public school system and therefore may or may not posses a reading comprehension level comparable to that of citadel brush.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

The Cursed unit is what I believe you are pointing out and yes, the splinter cannon is illegal... goes to show that doing by hand always messes something up.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

The Uncivil Servent Mikhail The Heretic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

I think he messed up. It says you can take a splinter cannon for every ten models in the unit entry. I don't think the independent character counts towards the ten. Phil seems to have made a mistake.

Horus betrayed the Emperor because the Emperor crushed his favorite puppy with his Land Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    It's all about real ultimate power redoing the forum skin in pink and plaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

This always happen. GW seems to know their own rules least of all. I remember when the 4.5th CSM codex was released, the battle report in that WD was full of problems like this.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, how could the author of the friggin rules make such an egregious error. It's not even a typo or anything like that cause there are at least two pictures (the entire army shot and a battle shot) where you can count only nine models in the squad plus the archon.

I'm just miffed cause now my lists are gonna be a little trickier to construct. Is everyone absolutely positive you can't do this? I know Phil has alot going on and is prone to mistakes just like everyone else, but this is a little heinous.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I'm hoping they will make include this in errata to make it possible to have a heavy below 10 but I'm afraid that it is here to stay.
    Marines also need full 10 squad in order to have a heavy weapon choice. On the other hand they can deploy in combat squads to avoid the IC problem mounting in a dedicated transport.

As I see it now, the numbers for the troops do not work very well for IC's joining them, you need to join them with the elite versions of these infantry choices. Trueborn or Blood Brides do allow such set ups.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Historically white dwarf battle reports are played (and thus written) to be fun to read, the specifics have never mattered for the game designers. Having such errors in battle reports is nothing new and really not worth focusing on.

Another example is the batrep when the latest tau codex came out the DE army had a unit o warp beasts but no wyches, and they just let it slide because the DE player wanted beasts.

If you can find any old WD where the batreps are played by tournament players (there is a truly excellent 3rd ed batrep with space wolves versus iron warriors played for white dwarf after the tournament the two players were at ended) you'll see a very clear difference in approach to lsit construction and playstyle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail The Heretic View Post
    I think he messed up. It says you can take a splinter cannon for every ten models in the unit entry. I don't think the independent character counts towards the ten. Phil seems to have made a mistake.
    By this way You can put ten man squad plus an IC to a transport that can carry only ten, because the IC does not count towards the ten?

From now on I can use a nine man squad+IC with heavy weapons or get a free ride for my IC
    Just have to buy the WD

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
    By this way You can put ten man squad plus an IC to a transport that can carry only ten, because the IC does not count towards the ten?
    No - you may not do this. Plus i'm fairly sure that isn't what he meant.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
    He doesn't count towards the ten when the unit is bought (army list building), but he counts towards the ten when the unit is deployed (playing the game). How is that not clear?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast