No more flat out-explodes-assaults - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

No more flat out-explodes-assaults

I know there has been some debate about a fast skimmer moving flat-out-ramming and then assaulting if it suffered an explodes result.

Well the new rulebook FAQ clears that up (among other things).

Q: If a transport vehicle is destroyed in the same turn as it
    moved flat out what happens to any embarked models? (p70)
    A: They are removed as casualties.

Here's the link to the new FAQ (no DE codex faq yet)

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...version1_1.pdf

At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that for Destroyed - Wrecked only or Destroyed - Exploded too? As far as I know, the models are disembarked after they resolve hits from the explosion, although I'd argue against them being able to assault after moving flat out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Well, since they are both 'Destroyed' results I'd say it applies to both. either way the vehicle is destroyed. I think being able to assault after an exploded result (because it said 'place the models' and not disembark them) was a clear oversight anyway.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Aw, **** me. I guess I'll never be going flat-out again.

Edit: Beyond that wallbanger of a rule, I'm liking what I'm reading so far for everything else.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; November 18th, 2010 at 00:23.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

I like everything too. That one rule makes sense imho. as RAW the entire unit would be destroyed if a fast skimmer vehicle moved flat out and suffered an immobilised (becomes wrecked) or Destroyed-Wrecked result.
    So the only real change is that Explodes now also has the unit destroyed.

Especially dangerous for open topped Raiders!
    Last edited by JMichael; November 18th, 2010 at 01:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    As RAW the entire unit would be destroyed if a fast skimmer vehicle moved flat out and suffered an immobilised (becomes wrecked) or Destroyed-Wrecked result.
    So the only real change is that Explodes now also has the unit destroyed.
    No, this is a rules change. As per the BRB, the rule only says you cannot disembark in the same movement phase you moved flat out; it does not prohibit you from disembarking at any other time. By RAW, if you happen to fail a difficult terrain check in the same movement in which you are moving flat out (like the flat-out-explode-assault of the title), you die in a horrible fiery death. If you get shot down in your opponent's subsequent shooting phase, everything is peachy.

But yes, this essentially makes moving flat out a null rule for Raiders. In exchange for frankly pathetic protection of a 4+ cover save, you have a 2/3 chance of any result on the damage chart not only destroying your vehicle, but entirely destroying the unit inside without any need to wound and no chance of saving against. What. The. ****.

I'm also not keen on how they continue to expand the scope of the Scout move to be an entire free movement phase before the game even begins, and making it's effectiveness on fast or bike units completely dispropotionate to other units. Beyond that, I liked most everything else.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; November 18th, 2010 at 02:46.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    I'm also not keen on how they continue to expand the scope of the Scout move to be an entire free movement phase before the game even begins, and making it's effectiveness on fast or bike units completely dispropotionate to other units. Beyond that, I liked most everything else.
    I agree. Oh, AND you get the 3+ turbo-boost or 4+ flat out save on turn 1 too! Too bad I don't get any scouting jetbikes!
    I recently faced for the first time Ork DethKoptas. Scout turbo-boosted to within 12" of my units, guaranteeing a 1st turn assault. Brutal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    No, this is a rules change. As is, the rule only says you cannot disembark in the same movement phase you moved flat out; it does not prohibit you from disembarking at any other time. By RAW, if you happen to fail a difficult terrain check in the same movement in which you are moving flat out (like the flat-out-explode-assault of the title), you die in a horrible fiery death. If you get shot down in your opponent's subsequent shooting phase, everything is peachy.

But yes, this essentially makes moving flat out a null rule for Raiders. In exchange for frankly pathetic protection of a 4+ cover save, you have a 2/3 chance of any result on the damage chart not only destroying your vehicle, but entirely destroying the unit inside without any need to wound and no chance of saving against. What. The. ****.

Correct, the new rules are:

Q: What happens if, as a part of completing its move, after
    ramming inflicts a Destroyed – Explodes! result, a vehicle
    comes into contact with impassable terrain, the board
    edge or a friendly unit? (p69)
    A: The vehicle will end its move once it has come into
    contact with any of the above.

Q: If a transport vehicle is destroyed in the same turn as it
    moved flat out
    what happens to any embarked models? (p70)
    A: They are removed as casualties.

Bold emphasis mine... as part of the move and the same turn means it has to be your turn, not your opponent next turn. Remember in 40K, each ROUND is made of 2 Turns, 1 each per player
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 to 0

So the speed of the raider-led Dark Eldar list just went from 60 to 0 over night. It was bad enough losing half of my wytches after the flat-out explosion before the rules change.
    Hey, this linguine tastes a lot like spaghetti...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

wow really??? this is quite a load of bullshit does this mean that if you move flat out then your opponent shoots you down then you just die? wtf GW!!!!! can anyone else belive this crap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast