Super Heavy Orks (Or, Meks in Mega armor!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Heavy Orks (Or, Meks in Mega armor!)

I recently realized I can't actually field all my heavy support options that I've picked up/made and started looking into alternative army lists compared to my Warboss/weirdboy one I run now. I realized I could throw in my Deff Dread if I get a Mek but I don't have the model.
    Basically, my force would look something like this:

Warboss and MegaMek - HQs

Deff Dread Troops coice, mob of 30 shootas, a trukk boyz (probably 'ard boys) squad, some gretchen - Troops

Kannons, Killa Kans, Looted wagon w/ boomgun - Heavy Support

Lootas, Megaarmored nobs (With Megaarmored Mek attached) in Dedicated Battlewagon w/ DeffRolla- Elites

Some sort of Fast Attack

The idea is the Mek is mostly just there to let me take the Deff Dread along with all those other Heavy Supports, but he has the extra advantage of throwing a Bosspole on my meganobs and upping their LD by 1. So he's basically a squad upgrade to them, as far as I'm concerned. And the whole squad is dropped like a bomb as fast as possible with a Deffrolla ram into the enemies squads.

The problem I have is that the Megamek idea is competing with one of the most popular and (you would assume) effective Ork tactics currently, which is the KFF mek. Would I really be better off with a KFF? The cover save doesn't seem THAT great unless your totally Mechinized or run your mobs in a green tide across the board (I do neither). And in my experience models that really NEED a cover save usually can get one from terrain or intervening models in an Ork list, or if they can't they can find the cover of Close Combat relatively easily.

I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I like how you set up a list that will incorporate all your chosen models. I think you're right about the KFF. People seem to obsess over it and it is useful, but not in all situations. It can be a game changer against some shooting armies, but other times its not that great. With a battlewagon it doesn't seem to help much or be worth it.
    BP and LD upgrades are helpful but not necessarily that useful for meganobz. This is because Meganobz tend to win combat. If they take many wounds, they’re pretty much already wiped out (or will be completely in the next round) unless you’re using a whole bunch of them, which becomes overkill. So having some extra LD won’t help you much.
    If I were you I wouldn’t run the Meks with meganobz at all but with your slower ground force. I guess it might be worth it to KFF him with both the trukk and bw but otherwise I’d kff him with your entire ground force, particularly the walkers. Or, he would be useful with a shokk attack gun. Either setup will cost a bit more than putting him with the meganobz but will get a much bigger bang for your buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, the alternative to my idea of running him a battle wagon with 3 Meganob buddies was to run him with the KFF solo (And close up behind) the Walkers or in a small squad behind them (Grots or my Shootaboyz) since I think the walkers would need extra protection the most.

If I went for the second option I'd give the Battlewagon over to the Warboss and Nob Retinue. Or have the Warboss hang out with the Meganobs in their BW... Idk.
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

With a battlewagon it doesn't seem to help much or be worth it.
    With a limited number of battle wagon's on the field, you are sure to come under an excessive amount of anti-vehicle firepower, namely railguns, TL-lascannons, and those nasty nid str 9 and 10 weapons. Remember that since generally orks use battlewagons open topped, an enemy can get a destroyed result on a GLANCING hit. (+1 to damage table due to open topped). So even str 8's can be deadly vs battle wagons.

Because of this, I find the KFF is almost a requirement in BW's, to greatly increase their longevity. I had a set of two BW's make it 3 rounds against a group of broadsides with TL Rails. They'd get penetrating hits, I'd save. Without the KFF saves, the wagons wouldn't have made it more then a foot before being obliterated. Eventually one of the wagons bit the dust, but not before both had released all the boyz and wiped half the table.

When playing nids, or marines, I find the same thing happens. Everyone targets the battle wagons immediately. AV14 does not grant invulnerability...if anything, the AV14 becomes a primary target!

As for the Mek...you could call the megaarmored one a megaarmored warboss. Slap him with the group of 3 meganobz. Not only do they end up with LD9, but the warboss in megaarmor is rediculous...plus he can carry a BP!

Remember that if even ONE meganob bites the dust in a group of 4 or less (or loses combat by even 1 wound), you MUST take a leadership roll. Having a BP and LD of 9, makes a massive difference vs a standard LD of 7. Nothing like 120 points of meganobz running away because of a failed LD test.

And if you want to use a KFF, and want to represent it, it's extremely easy. A few pieces of spare wire and some styrofoam...instant KFF Mek.
    Last edited by greggles; November 18th, 2010 at 19:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greggles View Post
    Remember that if even ONE meganob bites the dust in a group of 4 or less (or loses combat by even 1 wound), you MUST take a leadership roll. Having a BP and LD of 9, makes a massive difference vs a standard LD of 7. Nothing like 120 points of meganobz running away because of a failed LD test.
    Yea, I have personally experianced my Meganobs waddleing off table without a chance to regroup before, and it BLOWS!
    I really wish I could just have a KFF on a Megamek. That would make this so much easier. I'm pretty set on at least trying out a KFF as an alternative to my Weirdboy (I like having 3 HQs anyway and having choices per game to keep my army fresh) and I'd probably deploy in such a way that the BW would have the KFF protection for turn 1 (Esp. if I don't go first) then after that it will streak off into some enemies and the KFF will foot-slog along with my Walkers.

I might start experimenting with putting my Warboss with my Meganobs or my non-Megamek with them. They're so dead-killy I want to field them, but they slow down any IC with them so it makes them hard to use...

Quick question: Does the IC with them gain slow-and-Purposeful? I don't think so, but if so, that means they can fire Heavy Weapons on the move (I've always been pissed MANz don't have heavy weapons to exploit this with). Like a Shokk Attack Gun?

Edit: Nope, he doesn't D:
    But it was an entertaining idea while it lasted
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; November 18th, 2010 at 22:11.
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Put your IC in mega armor!

Mega armored warboss ftw! (With a boss pole and cybork!).

And meganobz aren't that slow. You roll 2d6 for movement, 1d6 for run, and 2d6 for assault. (Take the highest dice except for running).

Can always just throw them in a truck. Just move the trukk 18 every turn till someone blows it up, then nob them up!

+ Reply to Thread