New Mandrake Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Mandrake Ideas

I can't remember what forum I was reading (possibly Dakka) and I came across the idea of running Mandrakes as a mobile shooting unit. Infiltrate them and drop a Haemonculi with a Hex Rifle in with them first turn and you have a 3+ cover save FNP unit with shooting meant for burning down low to medium armor units and forcing pinning tests.

Does anyone else plan on using Mandrakes or have ideas/advice?

League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I was writing a fan-dex when the new one was announced. The mandrakes I envisaged actually lept from the shadows when prey came near them, and they had the potential to do a lot of damage or a whole lot of nothing, if your opponent was smart.

The Mandrakes I got look awesome... and have terrible rules. Considering I know what the rules COULD have been I'm even more reluctant to use them.
    This thread is unclean brothers! PURGE IT WITH FLAME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsklortho View Post
    I can't remember what forum I was reading (possibly Dakka) and I came across the idea of running Mandrakes as a mobile shooting unit. Infiltrate them and drop a Haemonculi with a Hex Rifle in with them first turn and you have a 3+ cover save FNP unit with shooting meant for burning down low to medium armor units and forcing pinning tests.

Does anyone else plan on using Mandrakes or have ideas/advice?

if you stick a haemouclus with them wouldn't they lose infiltrate?

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeons View Post
    if you stick a haemouclus with them wouldn't they lose infiltrate?
    Even if the logic is the mandrakes merely use infiltrate to deploy last, they cannot join the haemonculi - the rules only cover IC's joining units and not vice versa.

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

2 S4 attacks and no need for a transport is a good enough reason for me to bring them. There are only so many raiders/venoms you can hide after all and their deployment does open up options. I used to field them before and versus how they looked in the old dex and what we've got now I only see improvements. Same cost and a MUCH bigger punch. One option I've found particularly interesting is Mandrakes + Reavers. Reavers can quickly zoom in and do their turbo-boost fly-by and then mandrakes move in to claim the token. Same can be done with shooting as we got plenty of long range shooting now(splinter cannons, dissies, Lances, etc) of if against particularly tough units both reave fly-by+shooting then charge by mandrakes. A charge from a unit of 7-8 mandrakes(good enough size without peaking in cost) delivers 21-24 S4 attacks. Not bad for a unit costing just above 100pts.

...And when they get their pain token, let the good times roll!
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Even if the logic is the mandrakes merely use infiltrate to deploy last, they cannot join the haemonculi - the rules only cover IC's joining units and not vice versa.
    I was planning on having a Haemonculi join a 9man squad of something in a Raider and drop him off first turn. Otherwise I can just just move up and join them since they are going to be at least 18" away from the enemy considering the small size of the trees and all the windowed buildings we use at our store.
    League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

ya but the thing is they are an elite slot and with the already fantastic elites we have they just come up short. it also seems that they are fail without a haemie due to no PP = no offensive punch and no FNP and if you give them a haemie then they lose infiltrate which is their primary strenghth to get in range without a raider. they seem to be a more fun choice rather then being really competitive.

+ Reply to Thread