DE Raider hangers modeling question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Raider hangers modeling question

I am not sure where to post this but since this is a DE Modeling question I will ask here.

I put together my first Raider model and man it took me a while, but when it came to the hanger models on the outside I didn't want to glue them so people could tell when my Raider had troops in it or it was empty. I noticed even with the slightest movement they fall off. I used magnets in the end which I didnt want to do cause the metal mags scratch each other easily and rub the paint off. i use mags for weapons which isn't a problem cause they are never weaponless.

Just want to know if any of you guys have problems with them falling off easy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been having the exact same problem.
    I decided to put the guy attatched by the chain up the front so his hook can go through the holes in the railing and that holds him on pretty well. The guy holding onto the boom pole isnt too bad either as his hand sort of clips into the hand hold. The woman with the spear is a real pain to balance correctly though. I decided to put her at the back where the chain guy normally is and when the raider is angled correctly (down on the left when looking at it from the front) she sort of stands on the side of the raider and is reasonably stable but still falls off with big moves.

Hope that helps a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well still a balancing game with those hangers. Your response helps me cause I thought I was missing something since I haven't seen a complaint yet about them. The magnets work awesome, I am just worried about the paint scratching off them.

Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

You can try drilling the holes for the magnets slightly deeper than the magnets and cover it with a thin layer of GS, then when you're done painting, apply some sort of varnish. That should help protect against scratching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechatius
    You can try drilling the holes for the magnets slightly deeper than the magnets and cover it with a thin layer of GS, then when you're done painting, apply some sort of varnish. That should help protect against scratching.
    I use a similar approach as well with my magnet work.

Instead of GS though, I glue in the recessed magnets with a filler superglue or epoxy and while that is still wet place a small piece of just regular printer paper over the hole which I then paint and varnish over. This really cements in the magnet with the paper fiber and gives a softer pad for the 2 magnets to push against.

For what it's worth - hope it gives an idea. Will be trying this process with the raiders soon and see if it has the same results as with my Tau (gotta LOVE those suit weapon fits!) and CSM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pinned mine.

With the exception the guy with the chain, i drilled a hole into the flat foot of each model, insterted a thin pin, then drilled a corresponding hole into the raider. If you use a small enough pin (i used roughly the size of a small sewing needle) you cannot really see the hole in the raider.

This way I can simply stick the rider in his spot via pin, and not have to worry about it falling of, scratching paint etc.

You really only need to do it to 2 of the riders anyway, the Gunner can just be glued/magnatized to his gun, You can just glue the driver in. So only the 2 hangers are really a problem.

+ Reply to Thread