Tactics for wwp - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tactics for wwp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics for wwp

Id like to share on webway portal :
    - how to drop it
    - where / when
    - what to reserve

So far my assumptions are :
    - carried by a heamy with some meat shield
    - in a raider
    - option C : in the center behind cover or
    - option F : on a flank, typically in front of a heavy weapon team

Drop in Option C is doable turn 1 but normally the opponent will retract his army out of distance.

Drop in option F at best turn 2 and I am considering grotesque for meat shield T5 w3. At turn 2 heamy drop the wwp and grotesque charge the heavy weapons team. Often the hw teams goes by 2 so the raider will be down.

What would be your options. ?

Do you take 2 wwp ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-I would always take 2 WWPs.
    -carried by Haemonculi attached to a squad of wracks, in a raider
    -have hellions/15-large units of wyches/talos/beastmaster/chronos come out of the WWP
    Take a look at my modeling, painting, and terrain blog
    The Iron Cage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why should the wyche squad be 15? I've been having decent luck with just 9. haywire grenades, 1x razorflails, hekatrix (for leadership and +1 Attack). These are cheap and usually finish combat in the opponent's turn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

i am going to take 2 and going to be putting my haemies with incubi that way they get a 3+ and FNP roll so they wont be all dieing if the raider blows up which is likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyches struggle against MEQ. And not putting an agoniser on thqt hekatrix is just criminal
    Take a look at my modeling, painting, and terrain blog
    The Iron Cage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but still would like to be sure why you say that? ie versus shooting or CC ?
    do you mean it is hard for wyches to reach MEQ, and they get shot in the way
    or in CC this is hard to beat MEQ ( cos of S3 for instance)

and then what sould you recomend ?
    using larger teams (15+)
    or adding one agoniser and two hydra for instance?

a challenge I faced is when my son, playing BA, fields a mainly mchanised army , that stays in the rhino until all my raiders are down.
    until now I was using 3 ravagers to break the rhino open,
    but now I am considering WWP and talos,
    or using the grenades that glace vehiculs on a 5+

in general , what would best against MEQ, especially mechanised one ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I’ve played 3 games with the WWP and what I’ve discovered is you really do not need 2 portals however having that second one is nice (useful) but not necessary.

Of course it all depends on the mission, opponent and who goes first but I had done just fine with 1 portal. My observations are:

1. If the units that could be using the portal are fast, you only really need 1
    I put a Warp Beast pack in there and they benefited the most and even though I put the portal down on turn 1 and they came out turn 2 they still reached a juicy target straight from the portal. The Talos benefited too as they all had targets as well coming out. The only units that didn’t get to assault straight out of a portal was a squad of Harlequins but they had the veil and were sitting just fine in cover for the following turn. I also put some wracks on foot in the portal but their objective was just to go to an objective flame the crap out of something and assault it – they performed perfectly as planned.

2. If you are moving second in the turn and the opponent is very aggressive, just 1 portal is fine.
    The problem I had in one game was against a very aggressive drop pod army – on the first turn 2 pods landed inches from my objective and was threatening my wracks who were babysitting an objective. I had 2 separate units with wwp’s but to give those portals good locations it meant I had to abandon my objective while my 2 raiders moved forward to drop the portals (and not let me place 3 liquifier templates on the intruding marines). Of course I caved in, kept a wwp squad back to drop the liquefier templates and only moved one haemy with a wwp up for deployment. Just that lone portal was placed but I did not miss the 2nd portal as now my reserves could either assault the enemy from my board edge or from the 1 portal I put down.

3. In a Dawn of War game where I went first but had only 1 portal in the list.
    It was easy for my Archon to drop a WWP in the center of the board with a squad of Wracks but deep into the opponent’s side of the table. This one portal allowed all my reserve units within good striking distance to reach their targets. This game was the one where the Harlies couldn’t reach a target from the portal but had plenty of cover thanks to the location of the portal as they screened my Archon with a veil.

I really enjoy the whole WWP mechanic and it is totally easier to use than before. Wracks make wonderful squads to put on foot with a portal carrier or even put on a raider as they are extremely resilient to raider explosions and enemy fire. Sure, it is a little draw back by not allowing vehicles to use the portal but I can totally see why – it would be massively “broken”. As far as I am concerned, all the units that can use the portal are good enough and in fact are just fine without the need of a transport.

To sum up – the only time I would really entertain 2 portals is if I plan of running wyches or warriors out of the portal on foot, they will need that 2nd portal to get close but otherwise an experienced WWP player from last edition shouldn’t have a problem just using 1 – it’s not hard to know where to put that portal to get the most from it.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

+ Reply to Thread