Newbie to orks and 40k. Need help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to orks and 40k. Need help.

Hey there I am new to this 40K stuff and bought the black reach box set and built the orks and fancied carrying on and making that my army. What i need is help to continue building. Where do i go from here? Am looking to end upp with around 1500 points.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Hi,

Waaaaaghlcome on the forums!

What kind of supplement do You have? Rulebook? Ork codex?
    You can play small games with Your existing army to get a bit of insight on the rules and the game. There are also introduction "courses" in the GW stores for free.
    You have to know that orks die easily, so always expect losses. Therefore You will need more boyz. This the ork slogan: Boyz before toyz!
    Also for first time would be the best to build a smaller army based around boyz and one unit of nobz to see how they work, than You can go to different directions: speedy army (trucks and bikes), horde army (green tide), armoured kompany (battlewagon spam), walker army (kan bash, dread bash, iron kurtain), but these are just the most popular/competitive themes.
    Also try to proxy units, like nominate a unit of boyz (with the helmets on) to be Your tankbustaz before You spend lot of money on units that You won`t like or use. (You will need a friendly opponent though.) Or take a toy car as Your trukk or battlewagon (not allowed in GW stores). Try before buy!
    Take a look around and read some of the threads, but always keep Your own opinion! Like 95% of the forumers here don`t like Flash gitz, don`t let this take away Your liking for them! There are no completly useless units, just units that are less effective or harder to use properly.

One of the most useful unit is the Big Mek with Kustom Force Field, that recommended for most of the lists. The two must thing for nobz leading your boyz: Powerklaw and Bosspole.

What army would You build?
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; November 23rd, 2010 at 09:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freman has it right Boyz before toyz always! Again welcome to the Waaagh orks are the army I have had the most fun playing and I have a small tyranid force, space marines, and orks. Just remember when you are playing orks boyz will die............a lot. Dont let this discourage you or make you think you will loose. I personally run a greentide list. I am not a big fan of trukks with boyz for the simple reason that 12 boyz will die extremely fast. Another thing is dont over do it with special weapons in boyz squads specially if your running sluggas since they will be running every turn to get into combat. Always and I stress always take a nob with a power klaw and boss pole. As you get into 40k more and more you will fully understand why. Specialty units are nice the models are awsome (take a look at snikrot I love my model even though I dont use him), but make sure they will assist your army and not have to try to do their own things. Orks are really squishy. I would definatly bring in a squad of nobs no matter how you build them nobs are tuff just make sure pk's are in the squad somewhere. I like using big choppas with my nobs cause they hit at str 6 and I4 on the charge. Check out the army lists to kinda get an idea of how people run different things with different mobs. A lot of people use kff big meks due to the cover save they grant, I dont but I always here good things about them. Most important is always have fun with your orks, when a lot of orks die in combat its a good day to be an ork! Best of luck, let us know how/what you decide to build and how it works out for ya.
    Ultramarines 12W/7L/2D 4000points Waaagh! Whut 9W/5L/1D 18000points
    Blood Angels Razorspam 2W/1L 2500points Vampire Counts Never played No idea lol!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Welcome!

I agree with the previous posters- no matter what you do you'll need more boyz. A couple boxes of boyz will do you well, equiped as either slugga or shoota boyz. You can also find them on Ebay for cheap!
    Once you have a couple units worth of boyz, add some other units. I make my choices based on the look of the models, the fluff/backstory behind the unit, the unit's playstyle, and the unit's in-game stats. Maybe a squad of crazed biker-orks appeals to you. Perhaps you like the idea of massive Ork Dreds clunking across the battlefield. Pick what you like, they're all good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

To chime in with the consensus, first you should look for a cheap and plentiful source of boyz. Ebay is my place of choice. Grots are also a must have.

Aside from that, I'd try and get your hands on a lot of cheap bits (or bits your friends don't want) and just go nuts! With Ork boyz, Grots, and enough bits, you can make anything.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread