Tyranofex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyranofex

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranofex

I was wondering about how now after some time and testing and such: what are your thoughts on the Tyrannofex? Load outs etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

"LET'S COMMENCE PREPARATIONS FOR RUMBLING!" Mono-Tzeentch 1:1:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

ah, the T-fex discussion has arisen again. i'll try to sum it up

Pro's
    longest ranged AT we have,
    toughest bug we have,
    good against At and Infantry

con's
    cost,
    slow
    cost

it really depends on your list, I love my t-fex but it doesn't fit everything list with its price tag you need to build around him like most other lists. hes still a useful tool, even if you dont get around to dusting it off as often as you'd like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

I can add a con to that, its inacurate. Statistically once every 4 turns your expensive T-fex is going to do absolutly nothing as you'll miss with both your shots. Now i dont know about you but i dont fancy risking my plan going to hell because the T-fex screws up.

On the other hand its certainly not useless, its tough as nails and does pack some serious range. You need to really build your list around them for maximum effectiveness, and taking 2 is almost mandatory. 1 on its own isnt that impressive, but 2 or 3 will cause HUGE problems for an opponent.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listwise there'd really only be room for 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

If only it weren't such a terrible shot, it would be amazing. With one additional point in Ballistic Skill, or even perhaps another die to roll for To Hit, it would redeem itself. As it is, every time I've fielded him so far he's been regularly upstaged by the Hive Guards' consistently impressive performance.

What I want to try next is Acid Spray or Fleshborer Hive and outflanking with him instead of hiding him in the back all the time. My biggest disappointment with the Rupture cannon is that at range it is usually the only thing it ever fires, and to little effect. If I run him up to the enemy without regard for its safety, then perhaps I will get to use all three of the weapons it can come with.

Another word-- mine was serious fun to convert, and I look forward to making other iterations of one. They are still a great concept overall and remain a favourite of mine. I'd field him in all my lists if there weren't more practical alternatives.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post
    I can add a con to that, its inacurate. Statistically once every 4 turns your expensive T-fex is going to do absolutly nothing as you'll miss with both your shots.
    That's not bad really - when you consider that another 1 in 4 of those shots will hit twice.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried limited success with 2 but it's so damn expensive and MCs are always targets for repeat Lascannon shots.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    What I want to try next is Acid Spray or Fleshborer Hive and outflanking with him instead of hiding him in the back all the time.
    No can do im afraid, T-fexs cant outflank.

and @ realitycheque true enough, but as i see it thats just a bonus when it does that. When it totaly fails, that can really mess up your strategy if its at a bad moment.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    If only it weren't such a terrible shot, it would be amazing. With one additional point in Ballistic Skill, or even perhaps another die to roll for To Hit, it would redeem itself. As it is, every time I've fielded him so far he's been regularly upstaged by the Hive Guards' consistently impressive performance.
    T-fexes should not be a substitute for hive guards. Hive guards are still a necessity in a balanced Tyranid army. The t-fex is used to supplement them, providing additional offense and toughness and also by drawing fire away from some of your units.

My biggest disappointment with the Rupture cannon is that at range it is usually the only thing it ever fires, and to little effect.
    Wrong way to play him.

If I run him up to the enemy without regard for its safety, then perhaps I will get to use all three of the weapons it can come with.
    Right way to play him. Do not just let him sit in the back and shoot. He needs to be up front, advancing with the rest of your army. With it's 2+, it can survive krak missiles and battle cannons that would normally hurt your other TMC's. He will provide cover for some of your other TMC's like tervigons, harpies and perhaps even the trygon. Also, he is a monstrous creature so is a threat to vehicles and infantry alike. His presence will make the enemy think twice before assaulting your units. Lastly, you want him to draw fire that would otherwise decimate your other units. Unless you're playing against lascannon/dark lance/plasma-spam, he is just the right unit for that job.

While I am not a big fan/user of the t-fex, he does have his uses in the right type of list. More often than not though, I prefer my trygons.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Can't Outflank? Oh, drat, I just looked at the Hive Commander rule, and it says one unit of TROOPS. Just my luck. Guess he'll have to footslog with the rest of them.

And thank you for correcting my earlier methods; because of his big gun I somehow thought he was some kind of artillery unit to be coddled and kept safe. I suppose I'm taking a step in the right direction now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast