Tau Ninja Army - how does it work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau Ninja Army - how does it work?

Hi there.
    Returning to the hobby after have been away for most of 5th ed. I was planning on starting a new army.
    And since the general consensus is that tau suck and the fact is that very few still play them, I thought the tau army would be fun to start.
    So I've been reading about the "Tau Ninja Army", but for some reason I havent been able to find out what it exactly does, what it consists of and what the tactics is.
    I know you reserve just about the whole army and use the 2+ reserve roll item (personal relay somthin...?).
    And people seem to have of very very different opinoins on the ninja list.
    Som say its out right cheesy and boring, some say it suck because it doesnt allow you to do what tau does best - shoot. others say its tactially challenging to play, but rewarding and a strong build if played right.

So can anybody let me in on what the "ninja army" really is/does/consists of?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I am guessing they are referring to a deep striking army of suits that are brought in where they can hit the hardest throughout the game. I may not be right but that is my understanding of it.

As to it's effectiveness, it all depends on extreme luck. Deepstrike dice can betray you a lot, your troops can whiff on their shooting rolls, and all kinds of other unfortunate things can happen. People who think it's good are people who had good deepstrike rolls, hit and caused extreme damage when they arrived, and had opponents that did not know how to deal with the tactic. Deepstrike armies are easily countered by good opponents, the only advantage the Tau have during deepstrike is that our suits can fire their weapons, and then make a 6" assault move for cover or distance. Most people just land, pop off some shots and sit there ready for a turkey shoot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Serran View Post
    Deepstrike armies are easily countered by good opponents, the only advantage the Tau have during deepstrike is that our suits can fire their weapons, and then make a 6" assault move for cover or distance. Most people just land, pop off some shots and sit there ready for a turkey shoot.
    Tau codex specifically states they may not move in the assault phase the turn they deepstrike so that doesn't work.

As Serran said, the tactic depends entirely on luck....and if you shoot the turn you deepstrike, the suits are sitting ducks and all clustered up. It's just begging to get them pie-plated to death.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Tau deepstrkers have their pros and cons but to be completely honest, you said it yourself, Tau arent exactly up to par when it comes to the competetive level so fielding a standard tau force is a gamble all by itself - deepstiking most of your army will only decrease your odds ever further unless you come to face a very specific opponent.

You could pull out some tricks on your opponent, maybe make a farsight list with 6-7 battlesuits deepstriking as one whole unit with a whole bunch of target locks so you could split fire 2-3 ways, if lucky with reserve roll, scatter and shooting you might have a chance to do some serious damage. But then again - MAYBE, I dont really deepstrike anything in my lists.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

"Ninja Tau" is an army that has NEVER worked. Never. I don't know why people think it does. Even noobs can beat up on it if they aren't totally incompetent players. The idea is that you take an HQ with a positional relay and put just about the entire army into reserves. Then the army shows up one unit at a time, turn by turn. The idea is that your full army only shows up late game, thus protecting it from being destroyed while you get to use them yourself late.

Its a completely ridiculous gameplan. All it does is let your opponent put 100% of his army against just a unit or two of yours. Do you really think they're going to survive that kind of asymmetrical power differential? Of course not. It's all but impossible to hide units such that they cannot be touched by something. Modern armies have more firepower, mobility, and outright speed than when the Tau codex was first released. Your HQ is on the table cowering and all he can do is ask for help from ONE, just ONE, other unit. ONCE per turn.

Beyond that, it's a tactic based on fear. Fear that your Tau units are weak and easily killed. Dude, it's Tau. Your units are weak and easily killed. Get used to it! Not getting them involved in the game doesn't help you! You need their guns! All you're doing is making it easier for your opponent to kill you while simultaneously keeping all your offense off the table. So you can't kill your enemy, either! It's a lose-lose proposition. Tau absolutely require all the guns they can muster from turn 1 on if they hope to win games.

Stupid stupid stupid. Don't do this!
    Last edited by number6; November 26th, 2010 at 20:20.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

lots of blow-darts and throwing stars?
    but seriously, if its a themed army I suppose stealth suits and kroot and pathfinders (though the combination probably wouldnt be recommended if your looking for competative list builds).
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

+ Reply to Thread