Warriors and Primes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors and Primes

Hey guys just wanted some advice about tyranid warriors and primes.

First off if i wanted to add a prime to a set of warriors, should i put him with 2 warriors or 3 for small lists i mean 750-1000pt armies

secondly, would any amount of warriors make up for the anti-tank ability of hive guards, im trying to find alternative anti-tank units, the only thing i've used so far is guards and thropes... gets a bit boring and until i get around to converting a carnifex into a t-fex im out of ideas

lastly how many warriors do you use in your lists, are they just there for extra synapse or do they have a specific purpose or are they your jack of all trades if something unexpected happens

I know the whole shebang about no unit is good on its own and the list determines and all that, i'm just wondering the thoughts you put in before/as you make a list, like i don't have enough cc punch ill throw in a 3 pack of bone sword wielding warriors

any advice would be appreciated

gull

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

You cant take 2 warriors in a brood, so for small games 3-4 is the usual bet.

As for wariors instead of hive guard. No. Dont even attempt this, the two do not have anything in common at all, warriors are not anti tank units. They dont have anti tank weapons for one thing. Im very surprised you cant find alternative units though, the codex is full of them. HVC carnifexs, Harpys, T-fexs, they all fit the bill.

How many do i use? i dont. Personal opinion theyre a liability, one large blast S8 shot and theyre gone. But they form a very dangerous anti-elites unit (Ie bezkerkers, terminators, you get the idea) provided you but Boneswords on them. Put them in for what they can do, synapse is just a bonus.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

I use a single prime only in my 500pt list, he is cheap synapse and with a squad of hormagaunts at that point level he carves up. After that, not so much. I run at least 3 warriors in a list, since I am renowned in my club for my over kill of Flyrants, so synapse becomes a problem for me. Plus they double as handy objective sitters. On a final note, dont make warriors CC give them ranged weapons and make them support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

If I bring warriors to the table I generally field them in units of 4-5. Often I'll have two units, one shooting and one melee with claws or boneswords. The shooting unit sits in the backline, usually inside a building for the cover, and babysits gaunts/guard/control points. I've found that they are very tough to root out.

My melee unit is meant to be with the footsloggers to provide synapse assistance, MC cover and additional infantry killing power.

As far as a prime goes, I don't take one in games of 2000 points or greater. I find that dual tyrants are a better HQ choice given the points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I like primes in with gaunts, if i need synapse thats the way to solve it. With hormogaunts he slows them down too much. I know he gives bonus's to warriors if he is with them but the higher ws and bs aren't enough incentive for me. i am very afraid of large blasts with high strengths (ala vindicator shots) and have had whole warrior units wiped out in one shot. Keep the units small to create more targets and keep them all from being taken out in one volley. The strength of the warrior is that he can do both cc or ranged so don't feel obligated to kit them out in a specific manner. I like boneswords and lash whips though, with a barbed strangler on one. Keep them in cover at all times to protect them from those str8 shots. Warriors are great against DE btw :-) keep em cheap and numerous.

As for alternates for zoanthropes and hive guard as anti-tank...

Where you say boring i say efficient. They're the best at those roles in our army for the point cost. I lament the lack of range though. The t-fex does solve this but i've no mind to pay so many points or spend the time converting either. Trygons are good anti-tankers with their fleet of foot and an adrenal gland. So are harpies as they can deep strike in behind the enemy and shoot at its rear armor with TL stranglethorn cannons. I like my hive tyrant with a HVC (or carnifex) but i face alot of opentopped or don't mind just stunning a vehicle (buying time for someone else to pop it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys thanks for all the replies

Heirodule, you absolutely right its 3 or more ... ( must re-read the codex till i get that ... i wanna pass go and collect 200 =) ) thanks for the heads up on harpies as a anti tank option... will look into that as for HVC carnis... sorry to say of the 2 carni's i have 1 is currently converted into a tervigon and one is being converted into a t-fex .. mind you i do have an old 2nd ed screamer killer around lets see if i can mod him to have a HVC ... mind you that seems a little sad since its a great model and saved my ass on more then one occasion.. might have to budget for a new fex or two to play with

I know they are a little squishy for the big blasts, but isnt most things? .. anyways i was just thinking of having hordes and hordes of them for a fun list and seeing my friends bawk when i place down 20 or so warriors and be like SYNAPSE.. SYNAPSE EVERYWHERE =)

New_Nid_Player Support eh... i might try that out, Ive started magnetizing my old 1ed and 2nd edition warriors so i can kit them out with what i want.. i think i might play a battle or two with ranged/support warriors and cc and see how i like them, thanks for the info

TamCoan - hey dude, i can appreciate that after a certain amount of points e.g 2000 primes become a bit redundant, but isn't it good to have a bit of redundancy? i am thinking if both your tyrant bite the dust early in the match, in the end you got a nice little prime pushing your advance or if a mysetic spore of devilgaunts or whatever goes wildly off course bam your prime can go help instead of taking a tyrant away from crushing the front lines.... meh maybe im just that mind set of plans within plans. Although i do have an objectives match coming up i think ill take your advice about the unit to babysit some guard and points, i usually use a thrope for this and it just seems a waste.. anyways thanks for the advice

hey badxample whats kicking =) Dont get me wrong zoans and hive guard are the f**king bomb for anti-tank and ill be using them for that, i just dont like battle after battle with my elite slots filled with thropes and guard, my friends might like to play with static list and get their skills just using different tactics with one or two changes, but what appealed to me about nids was the ever changing bio-mass, one day your fighting a tonne of gaunts and the next a living battering ram named carnifex turns up to ruin your day with claws the size of a car and a bio-plasma smile that will melt anyone's heart... and body and anything else you have on you =) just wanted to mix them up a little not replace them for ever, amd going to have to look up using HVC on my tyrant tho, in any case how useful is dual bonesword vs bone and lash whip with you, i always thought dual bonesword was way better cause of the 3d6 leadership or death thing =)
    Last edited by gullgotha; November 30th, 2010 at 23:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by gullgotha View Post
    TamCoan - hey dude, i can appreciate that after a certain amount of points e.g 2000 primes become a bit redundant, but isn't it good to have a bit of redundancy? i am thinking if both your tyrant bite the dust early in the match, in the end you got a nice little prime pushing your advance or if a mysetic spore of devilgaunts or whatever goes wildly off course bam your prime can go help instead of taking a tyrant away from crushing the front lines.... meh maybe im just that mind set of plans within plans. Although i do have an objectives match coming up i think ill take your advice about the unit to babysit some guard and points, i usually use a thrope for this and it just seems a waste.. anyways thanks for the advice
    Yeah, I always have a few backups if the tyrants go down too. For front-lines I usually use thropes, melee warriors and a trygon alpha. If I had another HQ slow open, I'd probably commit a prime. But I've found that the unit of warriors alone always serve the roll.

+ Reply to Thread