Harlequins In a DE list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Harlequins In a DE list

I am going to be making a list that has a "Carnival" theme to it. All my warriors have been painted brightly (pink) and I think that Harlequins will compliment this idea well. I have never used harlequins before and I have not seen many lists use them yet.

I was thinking of moving the Harlequin squad out of the WWB supported by an Archon. How should I equip this squad?

Do you think that Harlequins will work well with the new Dark Eldar?
    Any comments will be very useful to me
    Thanks in advance!

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found them extremely useful, however I was taking a venom as a dedicated transport for them, and have since learned this isnt codex legal as they dont get a transport option. If you go first you can jump them in one like, but youd have to buy the transport for another squad that will then be footslogging.

In combat, they are the same as craftworld eldar. I find them quite complimentary to wychs. I use wychs to bog down opponents CC squads, and I use a squad of harlies to tear through MEQ troops squads. The only thing is they only have a 5+ inv save, so if you get a few bad dice rolls you can lose the combat quite easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

[QUOTE=gimpy;1768060]If you go first you can jump them in one like, but youd have to buy the transport for another squad that will then be footslogging.QUOTE]
    Can you do this in 5th Ed? I thought only the unit a transport was purchased for could us it.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Which Upgrades do you take for the squad? I was thinking of take all 3 upgrades (shadow seer, death jester, and troupe leader w/power weapon)
    and I am not sure if taking the Kisses are worth the extra points on the squad?

also how many Harlequin do you get from buying the boxed set off the website? it says you get 5 Harlequin and a Troupe Leader but their are only a total of 5 models in the pictures. I am assuming this is just a typo?
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

The shadowseer is a good call so that you get veil of tears. As much as I like the Death Jester model and always use him, he's not all that great as generally if your harlies are not in combat then they should be running to get into combat not shooting.

Harlie kisses give you rending which is only really worth the points if you're going up against MEQ or Termies. I also always have a couple of the melta pistols things, mainly cos they are on the models, but it does give you the option to shoot tanks and walkers if needs be.

In the GW picture the troupe master is in the middle on the bottom line holding the sword.
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Daziel View Post
    The shadowseer is a good call so that you get veil of tears. As much as I like the Death Jester model and always use him, he's not all that great as generally if your harlies are not in combat then they should be running to get into combat not shooting.

Harlie kisses give you rending which is only really worth the points if you're going up against MEQ or Termies. I also always have a couple of the melta pistols things, mainly cos they are on the models, but it does give you the option to shoot tanks and walkers if needs be.

In the GW picture the troupe master is in the middle on the bottom line holding the sword.
    The Death Jester looks great but your right about the fleeting, I may just buy him to paint him up.

On the GW website it says "This boxed set contains 5 Harlequins and a Troupe Master" this makes it sound like I will get 6 models in the box but the picture shows 5 models (so I think this is just a typo) I'd just like to make sure so I can figure in the correct number of Harlequins into my list.

How many Harlequins would you recommend I put in the squad?

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by medic_4077 View Post
    Can you do this in 5th Ed? I thought only the unit a transport was purchased for could us it.
    Only the unit the transport was bought for can deploy in it, but anyone can jump in should the squad disembark.

-----

As for harlies themselves they are a strange lot in the DE list - they sit smack bang inbetween bloodbrydes and incubi for combat roles. Harlies are built to destroy very hard targets (specifically MC's and other high toughness targets) but they overl rely on rending to do it.

They do not generate enough rending to defeat a MeQ unit (which incubi do easily) and cannot take return attacks like bloodbrydes so they aren't so hot at killing hordes.

Yet for all this I think they are an excellent addition to a combat focused DE army - they need no transport (with their flip belt and their fleet they can nearly keep up with raiders) abd a reasonably built unit is superb as a 2nd wave assault. The shadowseer means the only way to realistically kill them (bar dropping barrage on them) is to get within assault range - which is a risky move no matter who you are. Regardless of how power from pain works on them (this assumes it doesn't) the fact that they come with furious charge base makes them absurdly useful at killing units with plenty of wounds but poorish saves (tyranid warriors are a prime example).

I would never bother with a death jester or fusion pistol(s) as you are better of fleeting in 99% of situations - if you are in a situation where you can shoot the thing its either going to go horribly wrong if you foul it up or it'll otentially leave you out of assault range (word to the wise: any foot based assault unit is best used when assaulting at the extreme end of their movement range).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I'm sorry, I can't help with the number of models in the boxed set, though if anything I'd guess there were 5 models, and that there's a typo in the text.

About the Harlies themselves though, I'm thinking of fielding a unit. Mostly because of their cool looks, but also due to their relative effectiveness. I'm however rather unsure exactly what role they play. Though I'm getting a bit more knowledge from this thread, especially from The_Outsider, your input has been very helpful.

I would not include the death jester, his weapon just seem out of place in a Harly squad. I don't see the problem with fusion pistols though, it's a great anti-armor weapon, and as the Harlies have hit and run, we are able to create a lot of situations where we can use it. We can re-charge tough units, shooting at them while we're at it or we can break from a combat with a walker and shoot it down. As the pistols have a very short range, if we're in range to use it, we likely won't get denied a charge afterwards, so i don't see it as a waste of points at all. Unlike the death jester.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

To add my experiences.

I have played 2 games with the Harlequins in a 2k WWP list with an Archon. I wanted to try them out, I thought the WWP was a good way to get them into CC and they are rarely used in my store (and it would be cool to see them in a DE army!).

So I bought the box and yes, it is 6 models (1 Troupe Master and 5 Harlequins, I had to proxy a shadowseer). As for their load out and squad development I too thought the Death Jester was not necessary. I wanted a squad that could first handle armor and then handle infantry second. I figured they would most likely be coupled with an Archon and the Archon would be outfitted for killing infantry and thus balance the unit out for either role (as I like duality in my units for an “All comers list”). So my Harlequin squad of 6 looked like this:

1 Troupe Master, power weapon, pistol
    4 Harlequins, 2 with fusion blasters, 4 with kisses
    1 Shadowseer, kiss

The Archon that they would be coordinating with was an experimental build as I had the Archon dropping the WWP (because I was using Urien in a Karnival of Pain kind of way). The Archon had a huskblade/soultrap combo that would join the Harlequins when they emerged. In the 2 games the Harlequins emerged twice in the 2nd turn but in the first game the Archon was already in CC fighting for his life (as his shadowfield failed on the 2nd dice roll) against a pack of Fenrisian Wolves (what a way to die). The Archon did survive his 1st turn but died in the opponents turn afterwards so the two units never joined. The Harlequins did dispatch the remaining wolves easily but bad luck hounded me again when I wanted to combo charge a large Terminator Squad with Urien and his 4 grotesques but Urien failed the charge (rolling snake eyes) leaving the Harlequins fighting alone (I do think Urien had a small chuckle at that, stupid clowns).

The Harlys did kill a terminator or 2 and believe it or not they did survive long enough to watch Urien and his Grotesques die to Longfang fire (I think the Troupe Master I think laughed best at this as he thanked his god for a bizarre twist of fate). The Harly’s did die to the terminators shortly after but I was at least thankful for tying the squad up in CC as long as they did as I was rolling a ton of “5’s”.

In the 2nd game, they emerged from the portal and joined the Archon immediately in cover where they got to fleet together. They did get charged from some Blood Angels the following turn and I am not certain the exact turn of events but they did kill some angels but the majority of the attacks went against the Harleys (and their fantastic 5++ save) and they were killed off kind of early. The Archon did prevail over the next couple phases as his shadowfield never gave out and the Archon minced them until the last one died.

My thoughts/feelings on their “over all” performance:

* Fusion blasters never really got a chance to make their points back
    * I needed to fleet the first turn they emerged
    * Their 5++ save surrenders too much combat resolution if they are caught flat-footed or get outnumbered – they need support
    * Their small squad size meant I did get to play some wound allocation shenanigans but in every instance I seemed to have lost an important upgrade every time someone died.

So I am still undecided with them, they did kind of perform as I expected and I did make some mistakes with them that could have doomed them with not much to hope for. I do, however, think they need to do the “transport swap” to get them mobile – it wouldn’t be terribly hard to orchestrate as I now have my WWP deployers on raider and thus having one that might be available to jump on is possible.

The other possible role for them would be to keep them shooting instead of CC – take the Jester and use the Veil and cover to keep on shooting and being a nuisance. Question is, are they worth it in that role?

Hope this provides some insight.
    Last edited by KwiKwag; December 3rd, 2010 at 19:11.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Thanks KwiKwag I just finished playing a 1500 point game with a squad of Harli coming out of the WWP (VS Tau)
    The squad included:
    Troupe master w/power weapon
    Shadow seer
    Death Jester
    5 Harliqiuins (no ups)

They came in 2nd turn before I had a WWP close enough to the Tau lines, they popped out of a portal that was about 20 inches away from my opponents objective (capture and control mission, spearhead deployment) The squad had to foot slog with my archon (who came out of the portal with them) and was not able to get into combat until turn 5. I also joined a Haemonculus with the squad and as far as I could tell this gave the squad FNP (still waiting for the FAQ to clear that up) the squad took some fire on the way but was able to make it to the objective and contest it giving me the win.

By the time the made it to close combat only the Troupe master, shadowseer and 3-4 harliquin were left. (archon charged off by himself) they did a good job of cutting up a Pathfinder squad but all in all I was not that impressed by their CC skill. Str 3 just does not cut it in a CC dedicated unit.

The squad never got a chance to shoot as every turn they had to fleet or get shot to pieces. The Death Jester upgrade was useless because of this. The only way I think that this squad could compete with the newer CC dedicated choices is if they could Shoot and Fleet at the same time. (making the Death Jester useful)

I can't help but think that a squad of grotesques (or blood brides, or normal wyches) would have done the same job better.

I think next time I will just bring Grots instead of Harlies, maybe I will come back to Harlies later but for now I just dont see the advantage in using them. Grots have much better T and S, more wounds for less overall points spent, and FNP.

I just feel like we already have so many units that fill the same role as Harlequin and do a much better job. I just wish I could take a Shadow Seer as an upgrade for my other units :p
    Last edited by sendaf; December 3rd, 2010 at 23:49.

+ Reply to Thread