What is your favourite way to use genestealers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your favourite way to use genestealers?

What do you generally do with your genestealers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Outflank. Infiltrating and footslogging generally arnt worthwhile (footslog = never) and with outflanking you have more options. I place an objective on either board edge. That way when they come on, not only can they almost be certain of a target to kill, if not theyve got an objective to themselves.

This is very brutal in spearhead, if they come on your side, great they claim the objectives. If they come on the other, even better, they kill the opponent. Its a win win situation
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

yeah footslogging is a stupid idea for genestealers. because they have awesome attack and weak defense its better for an opponent to avoid close combat and shoot them before they get there and its very easy to shoot them up due to the 5+ sv. Yesterday i was playing marines against tyranids, my opponent tried to run a unit of 16 genestealers across an open space and i had a tactical squad with 7 bolters a heavy bolter, flamer and a sergeant with bolt pistol. the heavy bolter killed 2 as they moved and ran into range. then the next turn they moved and ran into the bolters range and 6 more died. then they moved one more time but wern't quite within rapid fire range so i moved up and then shot and my 15 shots killed the remaining 8. Thats how 106pts of marine eats 224pts of misused genestealer. So unless you have bucket loads of terrain to hide in on the way... its like heirodule says "footslog = never"
    If you want to actually get to use them, outflank or infiltrate.
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; December 5th, 2010 at 00:37. Reason: addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the difference between outflank and infiltrate?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

outflank is a move coming in from a side table edge out of reserve, infiltrate is deploying anywhere on the table but with restrictions on how close to enemy models and stuff. i can't really elaborate much on that due to the rules of this site but you'd be better off to grab a rulebook

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

infiltrate is good because you can potentially assault in turn 1 minimizing casualties from shooting, although against smart opponents it can be hard to get a spot to infiltrate from depending on where terrain pieces are and circumstances might dictate outflanking to be the better option. It also depends on whether you want them to be assaulting from the start or if you want them to arrive a little late as to whether you infiltrate or outflank. the most important thing is once they are on the table, you want to get them into the killing quick so that they are not getting shot up.
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; December 5th, 2010 at 01:21. Reason: addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Outflanking Genestealers are the bomb. These marine players where I play almost always, always have some kind of Heavy Weapons squad sitting in some cover in the corner. I've found that there are few things more satisfying than dropping a mob of Genes right up in their grills. Teach them to lob missile potshots at my footslogging army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I have been floating around for a while even though my join date is bery recent(hahaha). But I agree with Heirdule, you never footslog with Genestealers because:
    1) For me, they act more as a surgical Strike force flat out killing targeted units that they run into
    2)They are slightly more expensive than the cannonfodder
    3)since my friend uses 'crons, he hates that fact that I could tie up his units at the beginning of the game with infiltrate

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshadow7 View Post
    First of all, I have been floating around for a while even though my join date is bery recent(hahaha)
    Tell me im not the only one who doesnt get it? Or am i having a really slow evening?

Also a note to all the infiltrate lovers, from experience its very rare that infiltraiton actually works (for me at any rate) simply because if you can legally deploy within 12" (IE nobody has line of sight to you at all) then one of two things has happend. One; Your oppponents deployment is appaling and he deserves to be shot, or two; your stealers are deployed on a flank, usualy out of range of anything remotly useful.

So to elaborate more, id say that outflanking is the ONLY way to go for genestealers, unless you get a very lucky oppourtunity.

Oh and for the record, genestealers in a mycetic spore... just no. Ymgarls do exactly the same thing, but with more accuracy and more options once your in. Stay well away from this tactic, theres a good reason no-body botherd to mention it.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

I think Longshadow means he lurked for a while before he actually made an account-- just like me! Although I'm not sure it's all that funny?

Infiltrate does seem to lose its luster fairly fast when everything's out in the open. All it sometimes means is that they're footslogging at a slightly more advanced position, and will probably be the first to get shot to death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast