Tips on Deff Dreads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips on Deff Dreads

Hey guys

Now that most of my army and my bro inlaws army are finally painted we have had a few games. In all the games we have played my Dread has only really been effective once by pretty much rolling a whole flank of gaurdians. However for 3 games he hasn't even got close to assaulting!

We play 1500 point games at the moment on a 6x4' table but as he plays eldar he tends to do the whole move back - shoot thing.

Any ideas on how to make my dread more effective at stompin things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Deff dreds are greatly hindered by their slowness. First off, be sure to move and run d6 toward the enemy every turn. They can be well used by placing them on important objectives to scare off enemies. Often, the threat of them is enough to deter an enemy advance, especially if they don't have any powerfists etc. that can take him down.

Eldar will likely avoid the dred at all costs. They have almost nothing that can stand up to it in combat, except maybe a wraithlord who will be at risk of destruction from the dred. The deff's high strength is less advantageous against the eldar than against many other opponents. The eldar are quick, especially the mounted units, so they'll likely run away from it. You'll have a tough time getting the dred to them, but remember that it essentially has a 12 inch charge radius (6 move 6 assault) so it can deny a fair amount of space to the pointy-eared pansies.
    Are you facing any other armies, or just eldar? THey really shine at chopping up landraiders, necrons, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its just eldar at the moment as we are still trying to learn the rules (we havent played since 2nd/3rd edition).

Thinking of droping it for the next game and taking either a unit of stormboyz or a wagon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Many people don't consider deff dreds, as they're a big point sink for what they do. Killa Kans are considered a better points value because they're cheaper but still tough and can actually shoot well. You may consider taking a couple instead.

Wagons are one of our best units, but are generally going to cost you more than a dred. They make great transports when open-topped, and their deffrollas are deadly to enemy vehicles. Beware that all lance weapons will make their front armor weaker.
    I like storm boyz a lot myself, but they're considered very fragile. If you can manuver them properly they can lay waste, and they're a good counter against the speed of the eldar. I'd use them in either a big, deadly mob or as a small throwaway 1-hit wonder. A nob w/ pk and bp are a must, as is standard for ork infantry. Be sure to hide them on the flanks or behind cover to avoid long-range shooting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I find the deff dread is most effective when you distract your opponent with other more immediate dangers.

I've used a deff dread a number of times now, and only once has it been enormously effective. That last battle I was using kan's and boyz to cause havoc across their front lines, and the SM player completely ignored the dread, figuring it wouldn't be a danger for a few turns. Low and behold, before he knew it, the dread was charging into his lines, and wiped out...

1 Rhino
    5 tact marines in the rhino
    Squad of terminators
    captain
    squad of devastators

The single dread was definitely the MVP of the game. He wasn't even wiped out at the end....

Note to anyone playing against orks, please ignore the armor 12 walker charging your lines until the last second.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds odd but what about getting a trukk and moving that 12" each turn and then get your deff dread to run after and therefore be obscured from some of the enemy guns. I personally use killa kanz as there are more so generally survive longer and are still just as effective in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what I do is line up my killa kan and my deff behind them like so. /. that way they take fire and he can get close so far It has worked seven out of nine times, he kicks the snot out of space marines. Thats my two cents.

+ Reply to Thread