Tyranid Anti-Tank - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tyranid Anti-Tank

How much anti-tank does your standard 1500 Tyranid army usually use? I'm kind of unfamiliar with the army in 5th edition and would like to know what a standard 1500 Tyranid list uses for Anti-Tank.

League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

I find at LEAST 2 units of ranged plus MC's/units that can strike at S4/5 is an absoulte must. I like 2 x 3 hive guard as the core, then things like trygons, Tyrants and all sorts can help out if i need them too. A pod of zoanthropes doesnt go amiss either.

As a general rule, you cant really have enough anti tank, most of the Nid codex can deal with anti infantry with 5 claws tied behind their backs, anti tank really needs to be your focus. So make sure you include at least 2 shooting units. A lot of new players seem to think you can deal with vehicles by MC's in combat. YOU CANNOT. Without shooting your going no-where.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I would also add that you should be sure to include some long-ranged anti-tank in there as well. Hive Guard are fine and all, but they're limited by range and power. They're only good for transports. Transports may be the most important things to destroy ... but that's true just most of the time. Not all of the time. There are things like vindicators that you'll want to destroy right quick, too. So you'll want both higher strength and longer-ranged guns than hive guard.

Rules of thumb I follow.

* Be sure to include some serious shooting in a majority of Force Organization slots. Too many Tyranid players leave all their shooting to their Elites. Tyranid Elites are quite good, but they're also extremely short ranged and fragile. Beyond that, sticking to just Elites means you can never have more than 3 anti-armour units. That's too crippling against good opponents, even at smallish games like 1500 pts. Take anti-armour options from some of the other Force Org slots, too. Every slot (but Troops) has something in there that is useful. (Tangent: Relying solely on Elites for anti-armour means limiting your viable army list builds, too. There are lots of great units in the Elites that deserve to be used.)

* Always include some Str 10 shooting. That means I always include either Zoanthropes or Tyrannofexes. 'Nids don't have melta weapons, and only 1 Lance weapon (coincidentally on those Zoanthropes), so Str 10 is necessary to make the most out of every shot. We can't spam anti-armour shooting like most other armies, so we need to have something serious to do damage when we need it, and where we need it, most.

* Always include some long range shooting. That means I always include either Heavy Venom Cannons (on Tyrants, Carnifexes, and/or Harpies) or Tyrannofexes. (And often I include both.) Outside of HVCs and rupture cannons, all 'nid shooting is incredibly short-ranged. The ability to hurt the enemy right away is of paramount importance.

Note that I break this last rule of thumb in one and only one army build archetype: the all-reserves, all deep-striking/outflanking "surprise" army. That's because it is both an expensive army, points-wise, to build (so there are fewer points around to scrounge on things like HVCs), and also because the army always shows up right at the enemy's doorstep, so long-range shooting isn't at such a premium.

But outside of that exception, I do "always" follow that last rule of thumb, too.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

That's good all-around advise. The failing I see with many nid players is the foot-slogging list wtih only hive-guard/zoanthropes for ranged anti-tank. There's usually no reason for heavy armor to close within 40-inches if you have nothing that can shoot at it.

+ Reply to Thread