Which C'tan? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which C'tan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which C'tan?

Okay first of all, I don't know how to post a poll, so can anyone tell me how please.

But, to the main point of this thread, when I go down to my local game store for games there. There is always a few necron players and they always field the Deciever.

I want to know everyones reasonings on the Nightbringer and Deceiver, and why the Deceiver is more popular.

Please, comment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

The Nightbringer doesn't bring anything more then the Deceiver that validates the extra 60 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by CrownAxe View Post
    The Nightbringer doesn't bring anything more then the Deceiver that validates the extra 60 pts.
    Well put.

The Deceiver also brings some better combat control, and can re-deploy a unit or two, making for some very nice deployment tactics.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

What the Necrons need is utility and a counter assault unit to keep the entire line from being assaulted. That said the Deceiver wins hands down for many reasons.

1) He cannot be bogged down into combat, the Deceiver can exit combat in the assault phase 2d6 in any direction even during the opponents turn. This is awsome for multiple reasons. First, you couldn't shoot me all the opponents turn. Second, the movement of 2d6 PLUS my next turn is insane, yes I have rolled 12, moved 6, assaulted 6....24" assaults are awsome! Third, I just tied up two units...in the previous turn I held on in combat, preventing it from moving, in the following turn I can assault a different unit thus being very mobile and useful. ALWAYS escape during opponents phase and re-assault in yours to get the additional attack. It's like he has 5 attacks always like the Nightbringer...just not the nighty's initial 6th, after he's bogged down they're about equal if you keep escaping and re-engaging.

2) S9 vs S10, big deal...you're wounding most everything on 2's already and he's an MC so 2d6 to pen is fine too...

3) Deceiver has Better initiative, attacking before the I4 marines, etc.

4) Redeploy can be a nice touch too, I use it for my Destroyers. I usually deploy them on a flank which ends up having my opponent deploy away from them. Blam, redeploy them to the other side (hopefully both squads at least).

There's huge threads on this exact question here, try searching. Long story short. The Nightbringer hits harder, but gets STUCK in combat. Because he gets stuck he's doing less damage than the Deceiver all game. My Deceiver easily earns his points if not double points back all alone because of the escaping combat trick.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; December 21st, 2010 at 18:37.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Completely agree with the above. I was involved in a game with one of my best mates not that long ago where we both played our Necron armies. He took Nightbringer, I took Deceiver. That extra Initiative made all the difference, plus if I'd remembered to jump out of combat I would have knocked Nightbringer's socks off quicker than I did by gaining the extra attack on the second assault.

And before anyone says "Yawn.....Necron vs Necron": we have different units available so it wasn't a case of same vs same!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Nightys model looks at least 60 points better than the retarded grin on Deceivers face... But thats about it. For all other intends and purposes Deceiver is not only cheaper but also better. I think people would take Deceiver even if Nighty was was the same price as him.

That being said, I still run Nighty for purely fluff reasons. Revenant Moon Necrons are his servants and thats that.
    Last edited by Polaria; December 21st, 2010 at 19:56.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    1) He cannot be bogged down into combat, the Deceiver can exit combat in the assault phase 2d6 in any direction even during the opponents turn. This is awsome for multiple reasons. First, you couldn't shoot me all the opponents turn. Second, the movement of 2d6 PLUS my next turn is insane, yes I have rolled 12, moved 6, assaulted 6....24" assaults are awsome! Third, I just tied up two units...in the previous turn I held on in combat, preventing it from moving, in the following turn I can assault a different unit thus being very mobile and useful. ALWAYS escape during opponents phase and re-assault in yours to get the additional attack. It's like he has 5 attacks always like the Nightbringer...just not the nighty's initial 6th, after he's bogged down they're about equal if you keep escaping and re-engaging.
    He can only exit combat in the enemy assault phase, not your own

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    He can only exit combat in the enemy assault phase, not your own
    Well yeah, I never said my own. I just was trying to explain how you get to move in your opponents phase which is a very unique rule. I've just never stayed around to only give 4 attacks. I always disengage and re-engage on my turn.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; December 22nd, 2010 at 00:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, thank you all for your suggestions and reasons, I just read over the Deciever's abilities and they are pretty usefull throught the game. They are more usefull than Nightys, because the C'tan's verion of MC. I might just take him in my army because I always am bothered at trying to find a balance with NIghty and PO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshadow7 View Post
    Okay, thank you all for your suggestions and reasons, I just read over the Deciever's abilities and they are pretty usefull throught the game. They are more usefull than Nightys, because the C'tan's verion of MC. I might just take him in my army because I always am bothered at trying to find a balance with NIghty and PO.
    To deal with Phase Out, after 1500 points I bring Monolith and Deceiver. Yes, that's 535 points of non necron...however, I also field 3 squads of 10 warriors, 10 destroyers, etc...basically everything is 'necron' after that. I also baby my warriors and hide them back and behind the monolith. I don't go head on into opponents anymore (except guard and Tau) because most have some CC units that will teach them a lesson.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast