First successful Waaagh! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First successful Waaagh!

Ok folks, I wanted to relay this quasi battle report to you and also ask a question or two for my future reference.

First, let me put this that this was the inaugural battle for my Ork army! I've been a Necron player for years, but with their lacking of a proper codex, I decided to paint up some Orks to (ha!) tide me over until GW gets their act together and starts updating their codices with a renewed avidity. But I digress; this ork army has been a long time in the making, and I'm a terribly slow painter - me finishing just 1000 points has been painstaking, but well worth it.

So the other night, I got together with some buddies of mine and we all built up 1000 points of something, Tau, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, and Orks. I had been working on a speed freak build, so I ran 3 trukks with the appropriate nobs/power klaws all under the protective veil of the KFF. I then had a tooled out unit of 5 nob bikers and a biker-boss.

Well, let me just say that choosing to play a Speed Freak army was a great success! I played the Tau first out, and was amazed at the effectiveness of the KFF! All three of my trukks survived to the front line, and I nearly tabled him by the end of turn three! Literally, on of the trukks took the onslaught of the Tau gunline and made ever single one of the cover saves...we were dumbfounded!

Then, we played a 4-way game when I was teamed with the Grey Knights and we were fighting the Tau and Space Wolves. That game went well, but not as much as the first game. Sadly, the Grey Knights didn't put as much of a strong push in the beginning, and it left my poor boyz to fight off the two armies. I went for the Tau again, being I feared rushing my boys into the Terminator squads. And overall, I think I would have done fairly well if it weren't for the times I was in CC, killed the unit, and then was free and open to take a barrage of firepower the next turn. And also, the Space Wolves did their share of whittling me down. In the end, it came to kill points, where they beat us by 1!

So to finish up (and I'm grateful that you've plodded through this post with me so far) there were a couple things that we ended up questioning, and I wanted to put them to you here.
    1) Calling a Waaagh! on turn two.
    My plan was to run the trukks forward on turn 1, do the same on turn 2, call the Waaagh, disembark, run, then assault. Is that legal? There was contention that units couldn't run after they disembarked, and the fleet rule only addresses run/assault protocol, not disembark/run protocol. So any thoughts there?

2) Bosspole and falling back
    In game 2, I lost a unit of boyz and a nob to firepower. They were down to 6 models, so they make a morale check, fail, take a BP hit, fail again, then fail their save. Now I have a unit of 5 boyz, falling back and it'll take them a while to reach the table edge. We found out that because they were under 50% (the unit started at 12 from the trukks) that there was no chance for them to re-group. This is very different from the old-edition. I thought with the BP, I would have more chances to rally, etc, but it seems not to be the case. Whats you're take on that scenario?

So overall, and I promise to wrap this up now, I'm VERY happy with my choice to play the Orks! They're a very good breath of fresh air after loosing game after game with my Necrons. They functioned as well as I had expected, in fact, even better in some cases.

That's what I know! Looking forward to hearing your answers to the couple queries!

jroode

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

My plan was to run the trukks forward on turn 1, do the same on turn 2, call the Waaagh, disembark, run, then assault. Is that legal? There was contention that units couldn't run after they disembarked, and the fleet rule only addresses run/assault protocol, not disembark/run protocol. So any thoughts there?
    The trukk's are open topped. You can disembark 2" around the trukk in any direction, then you can "shoot" and assault 6". Since you can shoot, you can also run, which means the waagh is perfectly fine as well. Many opponents call shinangans when it comes to the actual speed of an ork assault, but that's why the orks are so deadly! They have an enormous threat range in vehicles! Just wait till you use snirot and some commando's, and assault the same turn they come in off the table edge!

The BP only allows you to reroll a single failed morale check. The only thing that I know of that can cause a unit of orks, less then 50% to suddenly regroup, is ghazkull's waaagh, which gives all units fearless during it.

For future reference, a unit of terminators has everything to fear from a squad of boyz, and your boyz have nothing to fear from them. The terminators have a pitiful amount of close range attacks, and actually go AFTER the orks because of the powerfists. (Note: I am talking about STANDARD Terminators, not the Assault Terminators with the Hammers and Shields)

A squad of slugga trukk boyz is going to dish out some 44 CC attacks, and wound on 4's, around 20+ saves for the SM player to take...BEFORE the powerclaw swings! Then you'll have the termies vs the Nob/PK. Even if all the terminators hit, and even if all wound, the nob will still survive to hit a bunch of them .

My friends playing SM have stopped using terminators vs me. They have NEVER survived CC with my orks. Not even once. Every single time the termies get tabled, and every single time my friend jay cries at 250 points being smashed into red paste.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greggles View Post
    For future reference, a unit of terminators has everything to fear from a squad of boyz, and your boyz have nothing to fear from them. The terminators have a pitiful amount of close range attacks, and actually go AFTER the orks because of the powerfists. (Note: I am talking about STANDARD Terminators, not the Assault Terminators with the Hammers and Shields)
    Yeah, these were CC kitted out Wolf Guard, some of them with Power Fists, others with Lightning (Wolf) Claws, and others with Hammers. See, I'm coming from playing Necrons, so we fear EVERYTHING in CC, ha! So you can see why I was worried with my Boyz charging a line of Fire Warriors, I had no idea (other than on paper) how they'd work in CC. Now for future games....ha, I have empowerment through knowledge!

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep that in mind about Disembarking, Running, and Assault w/ the Waaagh!

Thanks again,

jroode

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Ha...but as a necron player, you can instantly leave CC, go through your monolith, and get a second round of we'll be back! (Or whatever it's called), either way, I barely win vs my buddies necrons...of course I also wasted about two rounds trying to kill the monolith! LOL

But ya, slugga boyz pretty much demolish everything they get into combat with, especially if they get the first charge. I even wiped out a squad of blood angels, and they get counter charge and all sorts of BS!

Just wait till you start using some battle wagons...you think the trukk's are nice, wait till you have another 8 boyz charging out!

Your tau buddy was probably sweating bullets. My friend lou just hops onto a mountain and tries to railgun and TL missle everything now...because he knows he only has 1 or 2 turns before all his units die.

+ Reply to Thread