New Player, Army Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player, Army Help

New to the site and this is my first post so please be gentle. I found you guys from google searching for "Eldar army ideas" and sifting through the crappier sites until I got to here.

I just got in to the hobby after visiting a local shop and being completely impressed by a Chaos Marine army dominating a Dark Eldar army. I purchased an Eldar codex and a battle force because it was marked down (due to the shrinkwrap being opened). So now I have a battle force assembled and painted but don't really know where to go from there.

From reading the codex I can see that the Eldar are a very mobile army so it seems that melee combat might be a strong point to emphasize, but I really have no idea how to balance that with the units I have already purchased. Also, I am going to buy a box of guardians and dire avengers off of a guy at the shop who no longer plays eldar ($20 total for both, yay ). I know this doesn't exactly play into my melee combat idea but it seems a very good deal.

Any thoughts on how I should build out my army? Am I going down the wrong path with this whole melee idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

not the wrong idea, is a good idea! personally, you need more long range guns (Dire avengers - the guys in blue - have short range guns also some form of anti tank guns are good (read as vypers) otherwise as many waveserpents as you want (one per 10 man squad) exept for a 20 man guardian squad - these sit on objectives all game shooting their heavy waepon!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Dire Avengers tend to be our primary Troops choice are are a great buy. With 2 Guardian squads and 2-3 Dire Avenger squads, you have your Troops section pretty well rounded out.
    I would highly recommend NOT gluing the weapons to your War Walker or Wave Serpent. Being able to swap these out helps a lot.
    You need an HQ choice. A Farseer is the obvious choice, imo. Personally my next purchase would be the Fire Prism/Night Spinner box. You get two tanks in the same kit. Fire Prisms are a long range Anti-Tank and some anti-infantry, while the Night Spinner is unmatched in anti-horde (mass infantry like Orcs and Tyranids).
    The Night Spinner rules are not in the codex, but was added in a recent White Dwarf.

From there, you should look at an Elites choice with a Wave Serpent. Fire Dragons...Howling Banshees...Striking Scorpions...up to you.

Keep in mind that Eldar are a finesse army. We have great weapons, but a low Toughness value and low armor. So we generally hit hard and fast, then quickly get to cover or redeploy. Don't get in a static line shooting match.

btw, Welcome to the hobby and to the forums!
    -JMichael
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas. I can use this to start working out the details of my army. I would appreciate anybody else's advice as well. I am going to start working out an army list now and hopefully post it up over the weekend for some critique again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I would highly recommend NOT gluing the weapons to your War Walker or Wave Serpent. Being able to swap these out helps a lot.
    I wish I had been told that before I started the game...would of been useful to know and saved me a whole lot of bother.

But yes welcome to the hobby and good luck. It may take you a while to start winning with eldar until you learn how to use some of the units but once youve got it down you will be formidable. Lol. Im still a noob myself techniqually but the guys I play with regularly love/hate fighting me. They love the challenge but hate how effective I am using my units.

It took me a few months to start winning high point games but I still feel noobish when playing these guys cause they have been playing for years and are really good, so when they say things about how good I am I feel flattered because in all honesty I don't think I'm that good. Okay...now Ive gone off topic but What I mean is dont give up so easily on the Eldar if you keep losing at first. Just keep trying new ideas and if you get stuck there are plenty of people on these forums willing to lend you some helpful advice.

Good luck and happy gaming.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Well from the battle force you will need a general. I suggest a farseer.

Next you will need some units to round out your battle force. For those dire avengers stick them in the wave serpent.

For the guardians, I suggest buying a warlock for the squad.

For the war walker, he needs his 2 brothers. To make a squad of 3.

Here you have a decent core to your army.

After you get the 10 DA and 10 Guardians, I suggest getting another warlock for the guardians, or putting them in the first squad for 20 strong unit.

With the next squad of DA, they need a ride. So a wave serpent is the ideal choice, optionally, if you want to use a falcon...you can buy one of those, and stick the squad of 5 dire avengers in it. Then stick your 10 strong squad in the wave serpent.

Where we go from here is up to you. You have a decent start to a hybrid army. But you will find that mechanized eldar is the stronger but also the most boring to play.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my plan (as reward for getting my army painted) is to pick up 2 battle forces. this will give you 2 walkers, making them a formidable threat flank marching on, along with a full 10-man dire avenger squad. I have found that my guardians do not see action very often, but when they do, I like to bring them en masse. I would also recommend keeping an eye out for shuriken pistols/ ccw's to convert guardians to storm guardians (if only we could just order the conversion pack...)
    Eldar: 5ooo
    Space Marines: 3ooo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a method that works very well for me. I keep all my choices at around 150 pts or less, counting transports as a separate choice. I then combine them in a fashion that lets each choice be effective in at least two separate roles. An example of a 1250 pts list could be a farseer (guide+doom), 10 guardians with SL platform and warlock, 10 Avengers with bladestorm, a wave serpent with lance, 5 dragons in a Falcon (SC), 8 spiders, WL with EML/SL and another with sword only.

Playing Eldar is (to me) about balance. I would generally advise against having more than one, or possibly two instances of the same unit type in a list. The beauty of this tactic is that your opponent will typically be confused as to what units he needs to focus on, which gives you a certain amount of control of his actions, shooting phase in particular. Don't be afraid of unconventional tactics! If you notice that one of your units in ineffective in a game - regardless of your opponent's composition - consider changing the way you play that squad, or even try dropping it. The list above is a tried and true one, which has the interesting property that, barring turn one annihilation from shooting, every single unit is always useful, regardless of what army they face. It is undefeated, even against opponents who have had the opportunity to rematch me several times, trying to optimize their build between games.

An army like this is so strong because it has no fixed strategy that consistently works better than others. My favorite play is to always, always take the second turn, only deciding the primary role of each unit after deployment is complete. If you have a "synergistically balanced" list, where no one or indeed two units are alone in a specified niche, your strengths will always be greater than your weaknesses. Always keep looking for ways to combine units in ways that gives you the largest number of different uses. Your list should be able to switch between a static gunline and an aggressive hit and run force without changing the list and without relying on luck or accepting any loss in efficiency.

For an example of unconventional plays that work, consider the Wraithlord with the most basic loadout, two flamers and a wraithsword at 100 pts. I have so far never seen another player use that particular loadout, and yet, without a doubt, it is the model that has won me the most games on its own. The reason? It stands out visually and intimidates my enemy to divert fire to it, and it can take the punishment. Killing a skimmer takes one decent shot with a S8+ weapon. Killing a Wraithlord takes at least three, and it costs less. Regardless of what the rest of my army is doing, this guy will deploy as close to the enemy (any enemy) as possible, and spend all his time running towards the closest target, since this is basically all it can do. Because my opponent knows for sure that this unit has no other function than to get up close and personal, and because this is the only thing in the early game he can accurately predict about how my army will act, it is where he'll perceive the greatest threat, and he will feel compelled to use a part of his gunpowder to relieve it, even if he knows that it is only there to distract, because he can't really tell what it's supposed to distract him from.

Leaving the realm of philosophy and psychological warfare, how should a new player do to design an effective, balanced Eldar list? Here's how I usually look at a draft list:

-Is the list cool enough? Does it fit with how you picture your craftworld (if applicable)? Will any units you'll need to buy and paint look good in your custom color scheme? Will it be accused of being too cheesy? IS it too cheesy?
    -Is it versatile enough? A good list needs to have ample means to handle regular troops, MEQs, light vehicles, heavy vehicles and monsters. Can you picture any specific troop type causing you serious trouble? If it could happen, it will.
    -Is it fast enough? Some lists are designed to be extremely mobile. That's a risky gamble in my experience. I like looking at "redeployability" as a measure of mobility. As a rule of thumb, if I can use my first turn to change my initial deployment into an entirely new situation, I am mobile enough. For example, if you deploy a balanced gunline, you want to be able to do it in such a way that you can move most of your forces to concentrate one or both flanks, or gather in the middle. Unless your enemy is bristling with 48'' range heavy weapons, such a redeployment can and will ruin your opponents strategy, especially against melee-focused armies.
    -Would any particular lost unit hurt you more than any other in any conceivable matchup? If this is true, then you need to reduce your dependence on that unit choice, perhaps by diverting points from it to another unit that can perform the same tasks. Anything that costs over 200 points is probably too expensive for what it does. Make sure that your opponent has no good way to decide what targets to prioritize, and you're already halfway to winning.

TL;DR:

Eldar has a lot of options for builds heavy on certain unit types, but it's hard to avoid overdependency on vulnerable choices. Many Eldar units only really excel when combined with others, in a way that most other armies don't. It's definitely worth trying out different combinations with proxy models to find your flavor of space elves before you buy. No strategy beats narrow strategy. Specialization is for insects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also relatively new to Eldar.
    I like my Fire Dragons (5 man) in a Wave Serpent. They always get me at least 1 VP or take down their cost in opposing model(s), especially if there's a Land Raider around. Then they die. Horribly.

Bregor: I like the Sword/Flamers Wraithlord idea! Cheap! Eldrad redeploys him after the opposing player deploys. Sic 'em!

+ Reply to Thread