Asdrubael in a gunline - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Asdrubael in a gunline

If you take 6 20man squads with 2 Dark Lances, Blaster and a Sybarite in each you have enough points left over to take 4 Agonizers and an Asdrubael Vect at 1850. I know someone might say how would you get Vect over to smash some heads? The answer is who cares? With that much fire power you either make an enemy come to you(hybrid armies), knock out easy KPs and go to ground(blob IG and Tau), or counter assault them with one of the strongest ICs in the game(mech assault/foot assault).

Most people say that you can't rely on Vect's 4+ to seize initiative, but thats because you're usually running a mechanized army you could be grounded with most of your vehicles biting the dust if you deployed as if you were going to go first. However, in this setup Vect would be on foot with a shooting squad in/behind cover and as you only have a total of 7 KPs in this list that are all pretty durable, then chances are you won't be hurt TOO badly by a first turn alpha strike. Also, Vect's Orbs gives you some great deep strike insurance. What better item out there then a S10 vs LD AP1 blast with a BS of 8 for taking out DoA units that fall from the sky?

What does everyone else think?

League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

The problem here isn't taking vect - its the list is severely lacking and has absolutely no way to support him.

Six 20 man units just for dark lances? That is a huge waste of splinter rifles - give the squads cannons and take some small (probably five strong) trueborn squads with lances.

Secondly Vect's orbs are only 12" (and AP3, not 1) which makes them only marginally useful even with blast - it involves sending a unit who can easily be swept in combat awfully close to the enemy. That would mean you'd need a proper CC unit to support vect - we obviously cannot go for incubi/wyches/bloodbrydes as they'll be a huge target and will die. Grotesques and harlequins are the next options - harlies are probably better due to their near immunity to long range gunfire.

Your idea is solid but the method of execution is terrible in this specific scenario - you'll have a list that totally fails to function as it is unable to use both of it's strengths in any given turn, making it bait for some very quick and dirty tricks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

This list won't work

I'm sorry but this list will simple be out shot by shooting armies and outclassed in hand to hand by drop pod/deep strike armies.

While it might work against some the problem is you only have 12 Dark Lances. Think about it even at best you hit 8 and 6-7 wound guys. Against vehicles with armour 12 that means 4 actually penetrate. Now opponents turn His IG spams you with Master of Ordinance, Heavy Bolters, and anything else with a 36inch reach. His army will outshoot you any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I could make it more MSU, but I was hoping to use KP denial as a strategy not to mention doing something other than spamming 6 maxed out squads with Vect may remove some of that "WTH is wrong you" factor from the first game removing some of the psychological edge. However going for some more MSU style units and changing up the Warriors to be SC/Blaster would probably make it more viable in the long term.

With the anti-DS capabilities of Vect, I'd probably keep him attached to a squad and break him out when my turn came up and something deep struck nearby. If you opponent has knowledge of Vect's abilities then he may avoid using any deep striker's ranged weapons and may just run them instead as a bunched up deep striking squad is pretty much Vect fodder. Someone may say that this makes Vect useless as no one will stay bunched up for him to knock down, but in reality it plays serious mind games and if anything makes shooting capabilities in deep striking squads useless as they will get roasted if they stay bunched up and if they are close enough Vect stands a pretty good chance of killing most shooting based(and some assault based) squads single handedly in CC.

I like the Harlequin idea as the Shadowseer is amazing and consequently I have a unit painted up for a hybrid WWP army anyways. The orbs being AP3(not sure why I thought AP1) still makes them good as long as you're not tossing them at Terminators, but the whole Strength double Toughness thing should still deny FNP when using them against Blood Angel armies. I know the DH assassin doesn't get to ID people with their vs LD template weapon according to the GW FAQ which serves as a precedent, but their has yet to be an FAQ for Dark Eldar and according to RAW as far as I can tell we can still ID with our Orb type weapons.
    League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrvegas View Post
    I'm sorry but this list will simple be out shot by shooting armies and outclassed in hand to hand by drop pod/deep strike armies.

While it might work against some the problem is you only have 12 Dark Lances. Think about it even at best you hit 8 and 6-7 wound guys. Against vehicles with armour 12 that means 4 actually penetrate. Now opponents turn His IG spams you with Master of Ordinance, Heavy Bolters, and anything else with a 36inch reach. His army will outshoot you any day.
    IG bleeds KPs like some sort of giant KP artery. At 1850 with a Command squad and 4 giant blobs(the least amount of KPs guard can have in a list as far as I can tell) you still have five 5man command squads that can't blob up and have to be somewhat close to infantry to not be worthless. You should be able to roast a few of those through out the game and if you use cover and time your GtGs right then you should be able to edge him out in KPs. You don't have to destroy your enemy to win if you play the objectives. You're talking about heavy bolters, but from what I understand about IG list building(haven't played them personally since 4th) they only ever include HBs on Chimeras with their multi-lasers which means they are running Mech, which means you can win on KPs.

Any shooting marine army would be even easier to take KPs as they don't have the extra bodies/shooting/orders that IG do and an individual marine has the exact same chance to die to Dark Lances as a guardsmen if not worse due to not being able to GtG and then immediately get the unpinning order during their turn. Tau wouldn't be that hard due to them having to take a unit with a low model count(vehicles, broadsides, crisis suits, pathfinders, commander) at some point if they want any chance to beat something in shooting.

You have a point on assault armies being able to outfight me, but supported by shooting Vect has a good chance of achieving local superiority barring overwhelming numbers. 12 Dark Lances(and 6 blasters) has a good chance of damaging enough transports to make enemies have a hard time hitting me all at once(a.k.a. they either arrive late or arrive piecemeal). Drop pod armies have an issue in that relying on reserves rolls they are likely to arrive piecemeal and oftentimes in rapid fire range. Barring Vanguard vets they will at least be taking one round of shooting before they get to assault and as you can probably figure out AP2 is murder on MEQs with BS4 poisoned weapons being none to shabby. Admittedly what survives shooting and Vect has the upper hand in CC against your warriors, but you do get to strike first or simo with I5 and a Sybarite with Agonizer to help cushion the blow.

+ Reply to Thread