What about the scourges? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the scourges?

Hey fellow Dark ones. So I've been working on coming up with a good all-comers competative list and I was trying to think about what kind of fast attack I could get the most out of. To me it looks like the scourges would probably be the best option.

Max unit size isn't to big, like the hellions imo.
    They cost just as much as a reaver.
    They are jump infantry.
    They have a wide variety of weapon options.
    Decent armor for a Dark Eldar unit.
    And like most DE, are farely decent in CC and Shooting.

Now i am by no means an expert and have only been playing for a few years. I didn't like the old scourges so i never had any and was just wondering what your thoughts were and if anyone has tried the new Scourges. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them. I have very limited use with them, but they haven't done me wrong yet. Ive been running them with a pair of heat lances and deep striking them behind enemy lines for the job of poping tanks and with their splinter carbon they still have the shots to hurt infantry. I would sugest proxying them for yourself to see how they do. And if you end up wanting them then hold off making any for a little while, they are suposed to see them getting plastic models within the next couple months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I've been thinking about getting them as well. They seem quite nice when equipped with haywire blasters or splinter cannons. Let's just wait and see how the models turn out.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Assuming a base of a kabalite warrior, a scourge effectively pays 1 point for his gun and jump pack (this is working off 2 points for plasma grenades and ghostplate at the cost everyone else buys it) - it makes him an absolute steal.

As for using them, i'm a fan of either a splintercannon unit (i'd prefer 10 strong here) or 6-7 strong with haywire blasters - given haywire blasters do not give up anti-infantry to deal with tanks having them in a unit means you can multi-task very nicely without any real loss. Plus they are one of...2 platforms that can get haywire blasters making them useful for that alone.

I would avoid heat lances as scourges lack the movement to truly get the use out of them (that is what reavers are for) and dark lances are there as a comedy option (not really, it's down to scourges getting access to lances in the old codex).
    Last edited by The_Outsider; January 11th, 2011 at 19:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very happy to hear these comments, now i know for sure that there are not any really big cons that i'm missing. I was thinking of loading them with Blasters or shredders or a little of both. I don't think they need any more splinter weapons and dark lances ruin they're movement. I like that they're still fleet, so they can move 12'' then run up to 6'' and then assault 6''. I'm really thinking i'll like these guys.

Also very happy to hear that the next wave of models will be coming soon, I can't WAIT!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I think haywire blasters look awesome. It's too bad the shard carbines don't dovetail properly with them. Still, their mobility and the range on the haywire blasters should let you maintain optimal positioning while suppressing the hell out of enemy tanks.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My personal favorite variant is 5 scourges with 2 haywire blasters... its dirt cheap for what it does and it excels at suppressing enemy tanks which is extremly good... essentially the same effect a ravager will have a little more than half the time... and as a bonus u get 9 poison shots and 18" which can still f*** up monstrous creatures or maybe clean up some tattered units...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    dark lances are there as a comedy option (not really, it's down to scourges getting access to lances in the old codex).
    I agree. I had two units of Scourges in my old DE army. One had four splinter cannons and six models. The other had four dark lances and ten models. Even with the extra folk to soak up enemy fire the dark lance squad couldn't really hold it's own very well. I often had to hope for my opponent to do something stupid so I could zap his tanks because the dark lance is move or fire.

The splinter cannon squad was smaller and way cheaper but better. They could use thier speed easily to shoot with their splinter cannons and the massed up amount of mobile fire made them much more useful. They acted like a DE unit, hit hard and fly about all quick and tricky. Now though I would have to use ten to get the all four splinter cannons I think.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Scrouges are good, the only downside is that their guns are relatively shortranged. Scrouges need either Splinter Cannons or dark Lances so that they can nullify the tanks who come near, and can wipe out any foot mounted men into the bargain!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I am going to try a squad of 10 Scourges in a wwp list with 4 heat lances and a solarite with an agoniser.

Presumptions:

1. Coming out of a 2 portal list should give me good choice of targets (depending on the portal location). I would expect to get within heat lance range (I have with my Talos in several games now, I've had my pick of armor and that was only with a 6" move!) especially with a 12" move.

2. 4 heat lances should take care of any armor either silencing it at least for a turn or blowing it up.

3. 4 heat lances and 5 shard carbines should seriously damage any infantry unit.

4. In coordination with the other portal units, they should be able to take on a weakened unit in assault. Of course it is not ideal but we are talking about combo charging with other units, I wouldn't charge them solo unless it was an extremely small target.

While doing some play testing, I like what I see with the heat lances - they make a great all-around assault weapon against just about anything. And sure they are fragile to enemy fire but I am not playing in a vacuum, the rest of my list has to orchestrate together as to minimize return fire.

Just my opinion of course, I am going to try them out very soon and see how they do but I am starting to get the feeling that just about all the fast-attack options are competitive though the Scourges are surely the most expensive of all of them.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast