KFF, really worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KFF, really worth it?

Okay, I'm relatively new to Orks and 40K in general... but the Big Mek w/ KFF just seems like a waste of points to me. I must be wrong on this one, because everybody and their brother takes one in a competition list...

I'm not staring at my codex, so correct me if I'm wrong... but the KFF only gives the cover save for a six inch radius, right? So it barely covers the unit the Mek is attached to... and if you crowd them all together to take advantage of it then they are begging for a barrage attack or other template mayhem.

Plus, it is only a 5+ cover save, right? So you have a 33% chance rather than 16%? Not a huge difference considering I can get a 4+ armor save with 'Ard Boyz for a 4-point hike per model.

I have yet to play with one on the table, but for the points it seems a few extra green bodies to feed to the cannons would play better in the end?

I use a warboss with PK and twin linked shoota... thinking of another HQ choice and I will be picking up a wierdboy simply for the Orkish fun on the table. Still on the fence regarding the Mek and KFF.

Could I get some feedback as to how this is better utilized in your Ork armies?

(If it makes any difference I footslog it, no vehicles yet)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The KFF gives a whole unit the cover save if -any- model from the unit is within six inches of the KFF.

That's a lot more area - you don't have to crowd in, just make sure that the Big Mek is in between three or four units and they'll all get covered in their entirety.

With vehicles, they're even more powerful, since they count as "obscured"... so it's a 4+ cover save. And if you put the big mek IN a vehicle, then the KFF starts measuring from the hull of the vehicle, meaning that you can cover a lot of different units that way. (I know a guy who had a REALLY big looted wagon for just this purpose...)

So if you have two kan squadrons, and one kan is within 6" of the battlewagon with your KFF in it, then you can give a 4+ cover save to six kans and your battlewagon... and still with plenty of room behind for the follow-up waves.

Also, keep in mind that AP is a lot more common than "ignores cover". Almost every infantry weapon in the game is enough to punch through a 6+ armor save, but your boyz will get that 5+ cover save against everything but flamers and certain oddball weaponry.

Don't get me wrong, the warboss makes for a great centerpiece brawler, and weirdboyz are orky fun. But a KFF used properly can really increase the survival of the boyz when they're headed across no-man's-land, and against a lot of armies, if you can engage their whole front in CC, you'll probably carry the day in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarADV View Post
    The KFF gives a whole unit the cover save if -any- model from the unit is within six inches of the KFF.

That's a lot more area - you don't have to crowd in, just make sure that the Big Mek is in between three or four units and they'll all get covered in their entirety.
    Okay that makes all the difference right there. I can see centralizing the army around him that way... the clouds parted... are those angels singing?
    With vehicles, they're even more powerful, since they count as "obscured"... so it's a 4+ cover save. And if you put the big mek IN a vehicle, then the KFF starts measuring from the hull of the vehicle, meaning that you can cover a lot of different units that way. (I know a guy who had a REALLY big looted wagon for just this purpose...)
    Very cool. Question though... does that mean that any unit or VEHICLE embarked unit within 6-inches of his vehicle get the save as well? Assuming their vehicle is within the 6 inches?
    So if you have two kan squadrons, and one kan is within 6" of the battlewagon with your KFF in it, then you can give a 4+ cover save to six kans and your battlewagon... and still with plenty of room behind for the follow-up waves.
    I am so glad I asked!
    Also, keep in mind that AP is a lot more common than "ignores cover". Almost every infantry weapon in the game is enough to punch through a 6+ armor save, but your boyz will get that 5+ cover save against everything but flamers and certain oddball weaponry.
    That part I get, it was just the 6-inch part that I was misunderstanding. The Orks default saving throw is a joke... hail Mary at best... but it's better than nothing. I do see how the cover save can be more useful than armor.
    Don't get me wrong, the warboss makes for a great centerpiece brawler, and weirdboyz are orky fun. But a KFF used properly can really increase the survival of the boyz when they're headed across no-man's-land, and against a lot of armies, if you can engage their whole front in CC, you'll probably carry the day in the end.
    I'm liking this idea better than vehicles, honestly. I don't like the idea of fewer than 30 Boyz in a mob... even 20 in a BW is okay but I would miss those other 30 possible dice in a good assult charge.

Hmmmmm...

Thanks for the info and the clarification. I have much to ponder...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

It depends on your opponent as well. I faced some Black Templars with a KFF big mek, and I'll tell you that it did almost nothing to help out. I'd have loved to have another wierdboy or warboss to help out against all the cc beaky units. However, against shooty armies, it can make your day. It also works wonders in Speed Freeks armies- put one in a battlewagon and keep the rest of your trukks and such around it, makes a group of vehicles a lot more survivable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

And people also use it for a kan wall
    Have the kans spread out in front, in a long line with 1 kan from each unit within 6" of the big mek.
    They will all get cover saves of 4+.
    But here comes the best bit: the rest of your army is behind the cans so to shoot them they have to shoot through the kans which means your troops cover save is now 4+
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post
    It depends on your opponent as well. I faced some Black Templars with a KFF big mek, and I'll tell you that it did almost nothing to help out. I'd have loved to have another wierdboy or warboss to help out against all the cc beaky units. However, against shooty armies, it can make your day. It also works wonders in Speed Freeks armies- put one in a battlewagon and keep the rest of your trukks and such around it, makes a group of vehicles a lot more survivable.
    Very sound advice here.

In one of my very first games with my Ork army, I was up against a Tau gunline. It was a small game of 1000 points and I was running a handful of trukks and biker nobs. I administered a merciless Waaagh over the Tau. At the end of the game, my friend gave me one of his gun drones and told me to add it as a war decoration to the trukk that survived several rounds of full, no-holds-barred Tau gunfire - all of it thanks to the KFF.

So from my experience, the KFF is priceless when it comes to keeping your vehicles alive to deliver the goods.

+ Reply to Thread