Repairing our codex, one unit at a time, part VI - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repairing our codex, one unit at a time, part VI

Okay so the general structure of these threads is to address our BAD units first, then move on to the better ones. Please always read every post to avoid repetition. Please also try to discuss only the unit in question specificly. Referencing other units is OK, but should be limited to times when the other unit directly overlaps the target unit of this thread. Please do not adjust the units points cost. Let's bring our boys UP TO the points we're being charged, rather than lower them for the benefit of more units elsewhere. We're an elite army, right? Let's be expensive and ridiculously deadly, then.

These threads will work in two stages. First we brainstorm about the flaws as we perceive them, and provide a wide list of changes as we feel is appropriate. Phase two is taking the most supported ideas, compiling them together and finally arguing over any critical additions to the changelist.
    Dark Reapers. Derk Raapers. Derp Raakers.

+ Reaper Launcher is a phenomenal gun
    + 3+ armour save makes them tough enough to whether incoming fire
    + Long ranged weaponry means they can destroy any potential threats before they get to close
    + Exarch
    + The Tempest Launcher is arguably the most potent weapon in all of 40k being multiple barrage AP3 with a long range at BS5 and the potential to ignore all cover saves and reroll wounds or get 3 shots!
    + Exarch powers are pretty cheap and mind bogglingly powerful
    + Less is more in the case of the reapers
    + Exarch can take a missile launcher that becomes very potent when combined with powers.

- Small numbers means easy kill points if you are not careful
    - Careless deployment will mean quick extermination
    - In terms of cost, they are some of the most expensive troops the eldar can take
    - Static
    - Vulnerable to mechanised armies
    First question; are these guys worth 35pts a piece? No not really. 30 would be more reasonable considering the penalties they have.
    Second question; is there a unit that does what these guys do, but better? Yes. Devestators are cheaper, can take more heavy weapons and at greater variety. Largely similar statlines too.
    Third question; What is a reasonable way to improve the dark reaper? Allow the regular members to select other heavy weapons, for instance EML and shuriken cannon. Allow the exarch to select ALL heavy weapons.

Those are my thoughts on this under-rated unit. What is everyone elses?

My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strenth 7 Ap3 heavy 2 with an option of switching their guns for another gun that is strenth 3 ap 6 heavy blast 2
    I see them as anti MEQ/MC/Light tank unit
    the free option is to give them more horde killability

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

I would love them with Shuriken Cannons (but perhaps a longer range).
    EML's might be nice too. Maybe 20pts + 10 for reaper launcher, 5 for shuriken cannon, 15 for EML?
    How about an Exarch power that increases the squad's range by 50%
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

na all they need is relentless special rule

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by motomeru View Post
    na all they need is relentless special rule
    I disagree. What they need is a mode like the current psycannon.

Heavy 2 from over 18 inches, Assault 2 under 18 inches. Bam, fixed. They sit back, and snipe marines. Marines get close, they get mobile. The Exarch, however, should get relentless, so he can fire his EML on the move.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all really comes down to the codex author. If Matt Wards comment is anything to go by, unit stats can be based off the fluff of the faction. Ward obviously does not play-test, Phil Kelly and Jes Goodwin worked together on Deldar and I'd say they playtested that codex. It's evident, thanks to DE being a lot more balanced with much fewer grossly OP/useless units. Kelly/Goodwin may have paid mind to the fiction but didn't let it dictate the entire function of the codex, like Ward, who admitted he didn't really know about the teams before writing their books.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

I would say the easiest way to fix these guys would be upgrade their weapon to S6, this allows them to become long range MC hunters. They then have a little more promise against lightly armour vehicles as well. Lower their point cost by 5-10 points a model and then I think they'd be respectable.

THAT was the easy fix now what I'd love is if you could give them EMLs. This would turn them into Eldar version of the long fangs and simultaneously reduce dependancy on Fire Dragons allowing for more varied games. Even if leaving them at that point level they would still be 10pts more expensive than Long Fangs armed with Missle Lauchers, but would make them worth it in my opinion even if you did leave them at the current point level. Who wouldnt be tempted to take a squad of 5, S8 AP3 48" shots over a Fire Prism for 175pts? If they got cheaper then all the better. BUT, I would still be shocked and horrified if they DIDN'T become cheaper considering how cheap Long Fangs are. (I know I refer to the Long Fangs a lot but thats because I regularly fight a Space Wolves player. )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    I disagree. What they need is a mode like the current psycannon.

Heavy 2 from over 18 inches, Assault 2 under 18 inches. Bam, fixed. They sit back, and snipe marines. Marines get close, they get mobile. The Exarch, however, should get relentless, so he can fire his EML on the move.
    If we did do that it should be heavy 3 assult 2. There should be an added bonus for standing still.

10. Likemotomeru liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with fombat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of giving them different types of heavy weapons at different costs, making the base Reaper like 12-15 points or something. I mean 5-10 reapers all with Shuriken cannons sounds tight.

Make the exarch get different powers that apply to the whole squad not just him. Fast shot for everyone, nobody gets cover saves from squad, 12" added range, re-roll wounds. I can't see that stuff being so over the top (plus how hard is it to kill T:3 3+ save guys) if priced right especially since as of now our Eldar have the lamest most expensive heavy weapons in the game IMO (DE get dark lances at 15-25pts while we get them for 40! Not to mention anything we can get them on is BS3!).

I just don't like having an exarch that has powers that doesn't effect his squad. Hopefully this will be the case for all new exarchs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast