Should I stay or should I go now? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Should I stay or should I go now?

I haven't expanded my Necron army for months now after I vowed not to buy any more Necrons until a new codex came out. Well, I think that Hades is a long way from freezing over, so we won't see the new codex any time soon. I was thinking since I have sizable Chaos Daemon and CSM armies, that I may give away my Necrons to an under-privileged kid so he can play. I really can't sell the army because some of it was given to me and I would feel right about selling it for a profit. The catch is, I may have an interest again in Necrons after a new codex eventually comes out. I'd hate to give away my army and then wish I didn't in the first place or give the army away only to find out the kid loses interest in 40K and stops playing. I really don't know what to do so I was hoping for some kind hearted opinions about it. My Necron army is: 20 Warriors, 7 Immortals, 4 Destroyers and 1 Lord w/ Res Orb. It's about 1000 points depending on Wargear. It's not much, but it would be a good start for a young kid just starting, not to mention the army is worth a couple hundred bucks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

I have the same feelings about necrons. I haven't bought any models for ages, waiting for a codex delayed more times than I care to mention. The difference with me is that I have to sell an army to fund another one and I always come back to the same conclusion, I'll keep them just in case the codex is superb.

But, you have more than one army and you say you know a child who may like it as a gift. To give someone something, especially if they wouldn't be able to get it usually I think is fantastic.

In my opinion, you say that you to were given some of the army and you gained a lot of enjoyment and pleasure from it, so maybe you in turn should give the army away and in doing so hope it will again give a lot of enjoyment. I would suggest however that perhaps you should chat to the parents of the child first to let them know what you are thinking of doing and why.

I often paint models for children of parents that I know, because their child isn't able to paint very well. Now, this only extends to independent characters, dreadnoughts etc, but I do it for free and the enjoyment the models give when the child gets them back fully painted and based is worth more than money.
    Last edited by dinodeanpostcat; January 16th, 2011 at 18:05.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

You're not talking a large amount of models there, although obviously the outlay cost you $200-ish. I've also seen you participating a lot on the Chaos Marine boards here at LO, so you've got a good interest there with that army.

Yesterday I went into my local GW with a spare Broadside, a couple of Immortals in their blisters and a pair of sprues for Skaven, all to be given to the first person who stuck their hand up, so-to-speak. The young teenager who got the Necrons and the Broadside was gobsmacked to get these for nothing.

If you're feeling that you would prefer to give these models of yours away, then just do it. As has been said, it'll give a kid a good basic starter army, and you personally will feel good about yourself.

As far as "wish I hadn't given those away" is concerned: I painted a 2000pt Grey Knights army just under 2 years ago (pictures are on this site), then about 10 months ago sold the whole darn lot to a friend in the local store. Ten Termies, 15 Grey Knights in power armour, Stern, and a few other models for the Inquisitor and his retinue. NOW GW decides to bring out the new Codex - well, in April - and I don't have my Grey Knights any more. How do I feel? A bit gutted, yes.....but I only ever played 3 games with the GKs, a rate of playing which was unlikely to change as I prefer my Tau, Emperor's Children and Space Wolves, so although it was a decent army I don't really miss it.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; January 16th, 2011 at 18:45.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Well, currently quite reliable rumours put the Necrons as the next codex after Grey Knights with most likely release date on October of this year.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

You know I really like your input on Necrons Polaria, you are very good with your advice and that is sincere. But really, how many times in the last three years have you heard of a "confirmed" or a "reliable source" Necron codex release date? I looked up "Necron rumors" on Google and people have talked about the so called date of a new Necron codex for some time now. I heard last summer that the codex was 90% done and expected to be released after the Dark Eldar either December 2010 or January 2011. I'm not sure I want to wait another 10 months just to see if the new codex is coming out or not. Knowing Games Workshop, they will put out some other Marine type codex first anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    You know I really like your input on Necrons Polaria, you are very good with your advice and that is sincere. But really, how many times in the last three years have you heard of a "confirmed" or a "reliable source" Necron codex release date? I looked up "Necron rumors" on Google and people have talked about the so called date of a new Necron codex for some time now. I heard last summer that the codex was 90% done and expected to be released after the Dark Eldar either December 2010 or January 2011. I'm not sure I want to wait another 10 months just to see if the new codex is coming out or not. Knowing Games Workshop, they will put out some other Marine type codex first anyway.
    How many times in the last 3 years did BOLS and other sources make direct mention and repeated mention of things like larger immortals, variations of tomb spyders, etc (none until what, the last 6 months?). They've obviously been in testing for a while. Also, ForgeWorld made a new Necron model. Why...for giggles? Just out of the blue...it's been better than the last 3 years of hoping. But to each his own...I think giving it to someone who couldn't get into the hobby is an extremely generous thought though! I was going to give Marines to my neice in the same way.

However, as you said. They are just rumors...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

I've just been waiting with hopes up so high for a new codex and every time it is speculated to come out it just never does. I think the Grey Knights codex was just a big kick in the nads with a steel toed boot. So now we are talking October? I know the codex is coming, it's just about when. How would you feel if in October a new Black Templar or Tau Empire codex comes out? I think what I am going to do is watch the kid I was going to give the army to and if he comes out regularly to the hobby shop and plays the store army, I will give him the Necrons. If the kids doesn't come out, I'll know he isn't serious about playing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

I figured Grey Knights would be next simply because they had to release a Marine codex after Dark Eldar, but if Necrons aren't after that, I'm giving up on them. As much as I like them, I'm not going to sit around for years and wait for them to stop sucking. I'm tired of getting swept and phased out for the millionth time.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    I think what I am going to do is watch the kid I was going to give the army to and if he comes out regularly to the hobby shop and plays the store army, I will give him the Necrons. If the kids doesn't come out, I'll know he isn't serious about playing.
    I think that's a great half-way-house decision.It means that you won't lose out, and if the kid does prove to be interested then he gains and so do you. Win-win for you either way!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I'm pretty positive about the current Necron rumours because they originate from the exact same source who could name us the month when DE codex comes out, could list ALL the new models that are included in DE release and now also proved to be correct about when GK will be released.

However, your plan on giving the Necrons to a new player who might not be able to afford an army on his own sounds like win-win situation. You get to concentrate on other projects, he gets an army of his own and everyone get a new player. I sincerely wish your kindness will be repaid in full later on
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast